• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Chat Thread: BIFF IS STEALING THE CHAT THREAD !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dilworth, Wesley Heights, Seversville, Belmont, Optimist Park, Chantilly, Elizabeth.

My sister and BIL live in Dilworth with their 3 kids and it makes no sense to me. They're upper-middle class but not killing it by any stretch. They could have 3 times the house and 3 times the expendable cash if they just moved out of that stupid fucking, overpriced neighborhood.

And since they have 3 kids and I only have 1 it means we have to go to their house for all the get-together's and that's not cool either. Can't get nearly as drunk as I'd like.

a) it's the same as when you were a kid, and you have grown up while it stagnated
b) trump

This
I don't spend a ton of time in Maggie, but I venture through town once or twice a year these days.
There is a fair amount of money in the area (relative to what you'd think), but it's retirees or people who are land rich and cash poor (and religious)....either way, they aren't going out on the town...and if they are Waynesville has developed as the cute town of the area.
That's not to say there aren't tons of mouth breathers as well.

My sister and BIL live in Dilworth with their 3 kids and it makes no sense to me. They're upper-middle class but not killing it by any stretch. They could have 3 times the house and 3 times the expendable cash if they just moved out of that stupid fucking, overpriced neighborhood.

What would they need with a 7,500sf house and why would they want to spend all of their time commuting ? If they spend a million (or $650K) on a bigger house in the suburbs are they really that much better off ?

Don’t you have to drive everywhere in Charlotte regardless

When I was a kid growing up near Asheville I played in a tennis tournament every year in Hendersonville during the apple festival. That always struck me as your stereotypical small town fall festival.

What would they need with a 7,500sf house and why would they want to spend all of their time commuting ? If they spend a million (or $650K) on a bigger house in the suburbs are they really that much better off ?

They're all-in at around $900K in Dilworth with about 1,600 sq ft and a 1/4 acre lot. My sister doesn't work and my BIL works uptown.

They could move 15-20 minutes to the burbs and get 3 times the house, on an acre+ lot for $500K and put some serious loot in the bank, for only being in their mid-30s. I think my BIL agrees with me but my sister loves Dilworth. She's got her mom crew and she can't leave them.

In other words, they're cramped with 3 kids, with a high mortgage, very little land and the only perk is good school district and close to downtown. I imagine there are good school districts in other areas of Charlotte.

They're all-in at around $900K in Dilworth with about 1,600 sq ft and a 1/4 acre lot. My sister doesn't work and my BIL works uptown.

They could move 15-20 minutes to the burbs and get 3 times the house, on an acre+ lot for $500K and put some serious loot in the bank, for only being in their mid-30s. I think my BIL agrees with me but my sister loves Dilworth. She's got her mom crew and she can't leave them.

I wouldn't stay in that house in Dilworth with three kids, no way.

No, not if you live on the light rail line, trolley line, or in one of the more walkable neighborhoods.

Also, isn't there a difference between a 45 minute car trip and a 5 minute car trip.

Not many folks are taking the light rail due to COVID but it is a nice luxury to have it close by. My BIL usually works from home, so the commute isn't a big deal either way. With the kids schooling from home it's forced him to go to the office.

I wouldn't stay in that house in Dilworth with three kids, no way.

Exactly. They pretty much bought the smallest house in Dilworth like 5 years ago and have put some money in it over the years. They can pocket some money on the sale based on what realtors and appraisers are telling them. I think my sister will eventually realize they could be in a much better situation and she can still have friends, even if she has to drive 15 minutes to see them.

Maybe 15-20 mins by jet engine. You’d have to go to weddington or whatever they call that ex farmland tract housing to hit all those criteria.

Maybe 15-20 mins by jet engine. You’d have to go to weddington or whatever they call that ex farmland tract housing to hit all those criteria.

Yeah I guess being a Winston guy, I forget that 8 miles in Charlotte and 8 miles in Winston is very different.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back