• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Chat Thread: BIFF IS STEALING THE CHAT THREAD !

Status
Not open for further replies.
92, 74, 90

Can be at 9:30 Club in 10 min, Capital One Arena in 15, Nats Park in 25 on the metro line five min from my house but ok 74 sure

Exactly. They pretty much bought the smallest house in Dilworth like 5 years ago and have put some money in it over the years. They can pocket some money on the sale based on what realtors and appraisers are telling them. I think my sister will eventually realize they could be in a much better situation and she can still have friends, even if she has to drive 15 minutes to see them.

They could move to Sedgefield and get a much bigger house for $1.1 and still be in the same school district.

The first half of the Lynx Blue Line opened in 2007 with an extension in 2018. It's 20 miles long and has 26 stations with Uptown in the middle of it. It's had a transformative effect on the neighborhoods that line it.

That sounds nice

In your experience is it useful?

I don’t love DC Metro, and coverage isn’t amazing but it’s solid

Better than Philly, not as good as NY

Mexico City has probably the best public transit of any place I've traveled to, but I've never been to London or used any of the big SE Asian transit lines

New York is best in America, Boston has the most inexplicable routes and stops

Chicago's spoke-and-wheel system is flawed, but overall with buses and easy biking it's good

I haven't been on public transit or in an Uber since first week of March

wild

ya same

london's is superb, paris too

they're crushing the bike infrastructure lately in dc, just completing a sweet project that goes a few blocks south of me, adding a protected lane that goes all throughout the city

used to bike or walk to work every day in philly, but that WFH life has changed things here. was working from home mostly before pandemic too.

It's not useful to me because I don't live near it and I don't work along it. But the times when I've ridden it's been good. The point is that the City is encouraging development/redevelopment to be massed along the line and at stations at greater density, rather than approving additional sprawl on the small amount of developable land left. Zoning has also changed, forcing development to be more dense and placing maximums on the number of parking spaces allowed. Typically, if I were going to SouthEnd for dinner and drinks, I'd take Uber because there's not a lot of parking. The trolley line expansion is nearing comletion and will reopen next year, crossing the blue line Uptown. I've gotten use from that one because it's not far from my office and I can ride it Uptown for a Panthers game or Hornets game, etc. Planning is ongoing for a rail route from Uptown to the airport.

the Madrid Metro is excellent. or at least it was when I studied abroad in 2006 and the few times I've visited since. Can't speak of it since like 2010 though.

I've had good experiences on the subways/rail in NYC, Chicago, Boston, Philly, DC, and just about anywhere else I used it, except SF, where I thought it sucked.

I used to ride the bus Uptown becasue there was a stop at the end of my street. But they changed the route and now it's over a half mile away, so fuck it. I can get Uber and be Uptown faster than I can walk to the stop and stand there wondering if the bus is ever going to come.

It's not useful to me because I don't live near it and I don't work along it. But the times when I've ridden it's been good. The point is that the City is encouraging development/redevelopment to be massed along the line and at stations at greater density, rather than approving additional sprawl on the small amount of developable land left. Zoning has also changed, forcing development to be more dense and placing maximums on the number of parking spaces allowed. Typically, if I were going to SouthEnd for dinner and drinks, I'd take Uber because there's not a lot of parking. The trolley line expansion is nearing comletion and will reopen next year, crossing the blue line Uptown. I've gotten use from that one because it's not far from my office and I can ride it Uptown for a Panthers game or Hornets game, etc. Planning is ongoing for a rail route from Uptown to the airport.

INCLINE

I have friends moving back to CLT from NY, would love to visit them and have fun

I used to ride the bus Uptown becasue there was a stop at the end of my street. But they changed the route and now it's over a half mile away, so fuck it. I can get Uber and be Uptown faster than I can walk to the stop and stand there wondering if the bus is ever going to come.

yeah, SF was pretty meh, though mitigated by being a very walkable place

but SF keeps scoring well on these rankings I'm seeing when I google it

I now live next to a commuter rail stop and used to do a train-bike share combo to work when I wasn't just biking the whole thing

when they rolled out the docked bike share program I rolled my eyes and was like "I have my own bike" but I was way wrong and it's perfect for last mile travel when using the train/bus or for doing quick errands from the home or office (RIP)

The Boston T does have some pretty inexplicable routing in places but the true downtown area is so compact that you can easily walk most everywhere you’d want to go. I lived there for 5 years and rarely used the T even in winter. Walked to work and most places I wanted to go I could walk to in less than 30 minutes.

Regarding accessibility, we have essentially zero public transit but are less than a mile from multiple coffee shops, two grocery stores, the gym I go to, the place where I get my hair cut and a few decent bars/restaurants. Not bad for a place with basically zero density.

You can still walk in an unwalkable place. You just don't have to.

Nah, I just think city living is for the birds. I've lived in New York, Chicago, and LA, and I hated them all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back