• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Chat Thread: BIFF IS STEALING THE CHAT THREAD !

Status
Not open for further replies.
My wife is going to keep the kids home for a week, get swabbed herself and then drive them down to Florida to spend thanksgiving with her parents. They’ll be outside on the lanai the vast majority of the day and sleeping on separate sides of the house. It’s about the best we can do.

We typically do an island of misfit toys kind of thing for Thanksgiving. I refuse to leave my house on my favorite day of the year, but we throw out an invitation to anyone who wants to come over (it's mostly our other friends who don't have kids or family in the area and who don't want to travel. Typically we have around 15ish people and it's always a lot of very drunken fun. There is only one instance in the last 12 years that we haven't hosted people, and that's when we were travelling in South America. But we're having to shut it down this year and it sucks. It's literally the one day of the year that I always look forward to.

yeah we told everyone we're not doing thanksgiving unless they decided to live our life of total inconvenience for just two weeks

My grandparents from WV are coming down to my place. My uncles (two WV and one TN) are also coming. Their kids are not coming (my age, and all drug addicts or worse). My folks as well (but they are in my "pod").

I think I’m going to have to start having some difficult conversations with my family about Thanksgiving.

My brother and his girlfriend were out at the bars for Halloween. My parents are driving to Maryland this week to visit my brother and his wife and are constantly going out to eat.

Meanwhile my wife and I have been stuck at home for 7 months with a toddler.

What about asking them to take a CoVid test before coming? is their rapid testing around you?

My moms just bought two giant outdoor heaters and we're doing Thanksgiving in their outdoor living space because they are definitely not going inside an enclosed area with either my brother or my families.

What about asking them to take a CoVid test before coming? is their rapid testing around you?

I think that’s ultimately what we are going to do. We are all supposed to travel to their new house and everybody is supposed to get a rapid test.

My wife is going to keep the kids home for a week, get swabbed herself and then drive them down to Florida to spend thanksgiving with her parents. They’ll be outside on the lanai the vast majority of the day and sleeping on separate sides of the house. It’s about the best we can do.

This is the first time I've heard this word used not in Hawaii. In America's basement, I'm pretty sure these are just called porches.

This is the first time I've heard this word used not in Hawaii. In America's basement, I'm pretty sure these are just called porches.

That’s what everybody called them when I lived in Naples.

Oh man I haven't really grasped how much Thanksgiving is going to suck this year. It is my favorite holiday too.

@wfudkn

Post didn't quote for some reason

I don’t think we’re going anywhere. I’ll probably just roast a turkey breast or a chicken and make a few of the traditional sides and fight with my kids about finishing their dinner before getting fucking pie. So basically just a normal day. Sucks, it’s my favorite holiday too and the only time I see extended family all year.

Floridian here. We have a porch, lanai, and a patio. The porch is at the front door. We have a small swing and that's it. The lanai came with the house in the back. There's a door to the lanai from the alcove next to the living room. We screened it in and put a dog door. We have a couch and two chairs and a table. We used to have a trampoline in there when the boys were smaller. That was always a hit at parties. We added a patio with an outdoor kitchen by turning a living room window into a door. The kitchen area and outdoor wall of the house are covered. The rest is just screened. I'm on the patio right now. It's 71, sunny, and perfect.

Floridian here. We have a porch, lanai, and a patio. The porch is at the front door. We have a small swing and that's it. The lanai came with the house in the back. There's a door to the lanai from the alcove next to the living room. We screened it in and put a dog door. We have a couch and two chairs and a table. We used to have a trampoline in there when the boys were smaller. That was always a hit at parties. We added a patio with an outdoor kitchen by turning a living room window into a door. The kitchen area and outdoor wall of the house are covered. The rest is just screened. I'm on the patio right now. It's 71, sunny, and perfect.

Have you considered adding a deck?

Yes, but unfortunately all of that is still in Florida.

I think that’s ultimately what we are going to do. We are all supposed to travel to their new house and everybody is supposed to get a rapid test.

Just FYI, the false negative rate on those tests is still pretty high. You really should get two to be sure.

Just FYI, the false negative rate on those tests is still pretty high. You really should get two to be sure.

Yeah. I just saw a NYT headline that for asymptomatic people it’s less than 50/50 they get the correct result.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back