• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Chat Thread: Cooking > Eating?

Status
Not open for further replies.
speaking of weird trade offs

reading Dipayan Ghosh's new book rn on silicon valley bad

he explains hyperbolic discounting using a weird example

two options - accept $100 from me right now or $125 at the exact same time tomorrow - he claims most people would take the $100 now

like, i get that valuation of the gift that offers immediate gratification is higher than the present value, but 24 hours, really???

i mean if you can't take 100 dollars and turn it into at least 125 in a day, then how do you even call yourself a businessman

time value of money is a concept i don't fully understand

but that reminds me of offering kids a marshmallow now or all the marshmallows they want in 10 minutes

if you offered me 100 marshmallows today or 125 marshmallows tomorrow I would say no thank you I don't like marshmallows that much

print our own currency
distribute the currency to the shanties
they come in and spend it on beer
we redistribute the currency to the shanties thus keeping the money moving

i mean rep should really just be a crypto

Lol. I'm one song into checking them out and I kinda dig it so far. She reminds me of someone and I haven't placed it yet.

she covers the cranberries "dreams" at a lot of shows, perhaps them?

print our own currency
distribute the currency to the shanties
they come in and spend it on beer
we redistribute the currency to the shanties thus keeping the money moving

Plot twist, a shanty is a beer mixed with sprite/ginger ale.

Make it a year and I’d still take the 125. That’s still an easy return. I’d have crushed those child delayed gratification studies.

Make it a year and I’d still take the 125. That’s still an easy return. I’d have crushed those child delayed gratification studies.

scale sorta matters though, no? like sure it's 25% interest but if I offered you $2 today or $3 in a year, you just take the $2, right? where's the lower bound for waiting out a year?

okay but we're getting away from how bad the original argument is - that most people would take the $100 instead of waiting 24 hours for a $25 return - i don't think people are that hungry for gratification (obviously accounting for people in precarious life circumstances, who require cash now)

okay but we're getting away from how bad the original argument is - that most people would take the $100 instead of waiting 24 hours for a $25 return - i don't think people are that hungry for gratification (obviously accounting for people in precarious life circumstances, who require cash now)

but it's the same argument, a matter of scale

I think they just got the scale wrong there

like, $10 today vs $12.50 tomorrow?

give me the $10 now, because fuck I dunno if I'm gonna wanna go out tomorrow and meeting you for the $12.50 might be a big thing and then I have to carry, what, quarters? fuck all of that

the argument doesn't change as you change the scale? lol wut

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back