• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Chat Thread DCCVI: We the Posters, In Order to Form a More Perfect Board...

Status
Not open for further replies.
got a big decision we have to make

our existing elementary school is being converted to year round next year and a brand new school is opening in our neighborhood, like a 3 minute drive/15 minute walk away from our house. Existing school is only a 10 minute drive away, so still pretty close.

We put in for the lottery at our existing school thinking we wouldn't get in, but both kids got in. So we can either stay at the old school that is further away and be on a year round schedule or go to the brand new school that is super close to our house on a traditional schedule.

thoughts?

My cousins were in year round school growing up. Their parents preferred it as the breaks allowed for more flexibility to take vacations outside of the usual times. It helped with the pricing and crowds, especially at Disney.

our existing elementary school is being converted to year round next year and a brand new school is opening in our neighborhood, like a 3 minute drive/15 minute walk away from our house. Existing school is only a 10 minute drive away, so still pretty close.

We put in for the lottery at our existing school thinking we wouldn't get in, but both kids got in. So we can either stay at the old school that is further away and be on a year round schedule or go to the brand new school that is super close to our house on a traditional schedule.

thoughts?
How old are you kids? If they are quite young I doubt this decision will matter that much socially for them. Little kids can make new friends. If they are middle school or high school moving to a new social scene might be tough and traumatic.

Yeah, age matters.

But aside from that I like the idea of year round school with more frequent shorter breaks through the year.

Morning CT! Is it common for both your car headlights to go out at once, because that definitely happened last night. Not a fun drive home from the tennis courts, I had to use the brights strategically. Maybe it's a fuse?

Agree it seems unlikely bulb failure would be simultaneous.

How old are you kids? If they are quite young I doubt this decision will matter that much socially for them. Little kids can make new friends. If they are middle school or high school moving to a new social scene might be tough and traumatic.
They’ll be in 1st and 3rd grades next year

Existing school friends will be evenly split probably. Neighborhood friends are scattered to different elementary schools

Leaning towards doing the year round because we can always transfer to our home school later but likely won’t be able to get back in To the year round option

Year round school vacations are the best. It’s also probably better for kids academically. We would probably all be year round if not for exploiting HS labor and the tourism industry.

I say that as someone who spent 10 years in the summer camp industry.

Last edited:

thoughts?
Speaking strictly on learning, academic outcomes are far better in a year-round model.

this looks cool as hell and makes me wish I was a vinyl/turntable guy

3-Feet-High-and-Rising-7_-Box-Set-Detail.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back