• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Chat Thread Excelsior: Fin

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gams is such a weird word for legs, especially given the connotation of nice legs. Not sexual enough. Sounds like something you'd call your grandma.

Hmm, she might want to work on that.

I've always had a standard and have tried to teach wifey a few times. Every single time has ended up with tears and yelling so she's accepted that she will never be able to drive my car.

that's why we're paying for a lesson instead of me teaching

value the relationship too much

My wife and I had a knock-down drag-out when I tried to teach her to back a trailer. She's a very good and confident driver, and did not want to hear me tell her how to do it once we started. I eventually just shut up and let her figure it out. She got it.

New tires came in today! Gonna do some burnouts this weekend.

i definitely understand not liking drake if you're too old to party serious

YO Leebs,

Is your struggling to reach 4 digits per month a necessity of your career/life or do you have a gringotts vault full of treasures due to your thriftiness?

I've been thinking about this a lot over the course of the last couple of days, since I brought it up.

It's definitely not a necessity of career/life - I live well below my means, based on all economic standards/budget breakdowns (example: I spend NOWHERE NEAR 25-30% on housing-related expenses, which is the generally-accepted percentage for those expenses). I save a lot and have a lot pulled out of my check before I even see it, so there's a gringott's thing going on to an extent (that I won't play with for ~30 more years).
To say I 'struggle' to reach 4 digits a month may not be the right way of saying it, either. I could absolutely be more willy-nilly about my spending, or care less about saving various dollars and cents in comparing price per oz. or name vs. store brand in my grocery shopping, etc. but those things add up over time and I'll probably always get excited over a deal. I don't impulse shop or stray much from my list, and try to avoid shopping at places (Target, I'm looking at you) where I know I'm tempted to get random crap. I dunno, I just generally choose not to spend my money. I might go shopping, pick up/try on a top, like it, carry it around the store for a bit, think about whether or not I really NEED it... and probably 80% of the time I end up putting it back. Also of note, I'm doing this at stores like Old Navy so even if I do get it, it's maybe $20. That said, when I go shopping for something very particular, I am willing to spend good money for it (example: Frye boots) because I know I'll have it for a long time and get that value out of it.
It's also helpful that the things I do for fun are "free" once I got over the hurdle of initial investment costs. Yes, I have expensive bikes and I wear expensive clothes/gear when I ride them, but those things are all very much paid for at this point. Now I just get to enjoy them, and outside is free.
Shrug. Not sure what else to say. I don't like a lot of material *stuff* and my parents set a good example of spending wisely and not just buying the next biggest/best whatever just because you want it, especially if you already have things that work.

eta: regarding the pizza man, we've had this conversation and we see very eye-to-eye on this and I know he's setting that example for his kids, too. They don't want for anything, but they also recognize they're not going to get everything they ask for and that adults don't always get whatever they want, either. You save for the things you'd like, and work hard for the things you want to accomplish. Effort pays off. That said, for us adults, it's nice to know that (largely because of how we manage the rest of our lives) we can go out and drop $150 on a nice meal and not stress about it.

Last edited:
lbE08 do you drink coffee and do you ever buy it outside the home? Not judging or anything, just curious and in awe.

lbE08 do you drink coffee and do you ever buy it outside the home? Not judging or anything, just curious and in awe.

That's my one consistent splurge... I buy a tall americano every morning during the work week.
During the weekend I make it at home, but I really enjoy making it (and have nice beans) so that's not a savings mechanism as much as it is I enjoy making my own fancy breakfast.

i am basically the exact opposite of leebs, aside from maxing out my 401k contributions

i never look for the deal, i eat out constantly and buy new shit i don't need, etc.

i'm not gonna be DINK forever, so i'm trying to enjoy the nicer things

just basically counting on my wife getting paper later on so i can keep working at nonprofits

I just calculated, and my mortgage costs 16% of my pre-tax gross monthly income. Definitely low against the 25-30% average/recommendation/whatever. Frankly I don't really know how I'm not saving more money.

Well... perusing my credit card statement, apparently it's dining out. And in my mind, I don't even dine out a lot. Guess I need to get back to only one restaurant lunch a week, and maybe add a restriction to only one restaurant dinner a week. If I quit alcohol I could lose a bunch of weight and gain a bunch of money, but... nah. But a bunch of under-$10 charges for one drink+tip still add up.

I just calculated, and my mortgage costs 16% of my pre-tax gross monthly income. Definitely low against the 25-30% average/recommendation/whatever. Frankly I don't really know how I'm not saving more money.

Well... perusing my credit card statement, apparently it's dining out. And in my mind, I don't even dine out a lot. Guess I need to get back to only one restaurant lunch a week, and maybe add a restriction to only one restaurant dinner a week. If I quit alcohol I could lose a bunch of weight and gain a bunch of money, but... nah. But a bunch of under-$10 charges for one drink+tip still add up.

Oh man, if we're looking at pre-tax gross, I'm currently spending 8% on housing. It's awesome. It's also not sustainable (I'm not going to have two roommates forever) so I'm enjoying it while it's here.

Oh man, if we're looking at pre-tax gross, I'm currently spending 8% on housing. It's awesome. It's also not sustainable (I'm not going to have two roommates forever) so I'm enjoying it while it's here.

does Oregon have a good retirement system for government workers?

My mortgage is right at 10% of combined gross income (not counting bonuses/RSU/etc) and I don't have any other debt. Unfortch kids are crazy expensive.

does Oregon have a good retirement system for government workers?

Yeah, I think it's pretty good (not "I think" as in I'm unsure, but "I think" as in that's my opinion of it), but I've definitely got other investments as well.

Yeah, I think it's pretty good (not "I think" as in I'm unsure, but "I think" as in that's my opinion of it), but I've definitely got other investments as well.

Got it. Curious mostly and I see TONS of openings for stuff out there.

i am basically the exact opposite of leebs, aside from maxing out my 401k contributions

i never look for the deal, i eat out constantly and buy new shit i don't need, etc.

i'm not gonna be DINK forever, so i'm trying to enjoy the nicer things

just basically counting on my wife getting paper later on so i can keep working at nonprofits

Same except for the wife stuff

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back