• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Chat Thread: Going To The Mattresses !!! !!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, possible to have false negative with a blood test. Antibody levels wane over time as well as take time to build. So say you were infected 2 weeks ago with an asymptomatic infection, took the test this week there's a chance that your antibody levels are below the serological cutoff for positive. This is especially true because a lot of these tests for some reason (Its a cost thing) are running a single IgG response to a single viral antigen. Then you have the opposite spectrum of too much time has passed with say you had the, I was really sick in January with something I never felt before confirmation bias thought and it actually was Covid-19 now that 4 months have passed your antibody levels may have shrunk to a level thats below cutoff.

The cutoff is usually based on a reference sample set, but as I said for some unknown reason this doesnt exist. So every company gets to choose there positive and negative control, now say you want to make sure your test really works you pick only samples from RT-PCR positive hospitalized patients that have recovered a month ago to maximize the amount of antibody for your positive test control thats what happened before the FDA finally realized this let everyone have a test was a dumb approach. You also have a shifting cutoff based on do you want specificity or sensitivity, It is often impossible to have both high sensitivity and high specificity, and you must select an appropriate trade-off. For
sero-surveillance of pathogens with low prevalence (<20%), you prioritizing specificity. For example, if the true sero-prevalence of SARS-CoV-2 in a population is 8%; a test with 100% sensitivity and 90% specificity, so catch all true positive but lots of false positives would return an estimate of 1x8% + 0.1x92% = 17.2%, a big difference from true prevalence.

Well.... shit

Any other cool tales from the suburbs you want to share?

I don't really live in the suburbs, but where I do live the people are generally pretty nice, I park on my own property, my house doesn't cost $900 per square foot, it's safe for my kids, and homeless people don't pee on my door stoop.

I haven’t really attempted to put DC in national context to see how bad it has been here or what stage of the curve we’re in. Just sorta staying inside, living life.

I live in a pretty low/medium traffic hood (car and foot) with plenty of room to maneuver and still had some jackass practically side swipe me jogging past yesterday with the whole street available. He came up from behind me, and I heard him, but was as far over as possible and assumed would, you know, use the entire empty street instead of sweating on me. Shit bummed me out.

You run facing traffic, correct?

Generally, but in my hood it doesn't really matter and there are some blind curves where it is probably a little safer to be on the other side. This time I happened to be cooling down, walking facing traffic (there wasn't any) and the guy came up behind me.

The idea of McDonalds cleaning their bathrooms every 30 minutes is aggressive

the idea of them cleaning their bathrooms more than once a week is an improvement.

remember when CDC told us that non N-95 masks were a waste of time and no one needed to bother? I think it was about 7 weeks ago. cray

I've got an optometrist appointment today, feel kind of weird about it. I'd have postponed, but my yearly was supposed to be in January and got pushed back because I go to a friend of mine, and he was part-time in Costa Rica. Then the appointment was postponed due to Covid. They've already hooked me up with free contacts to get me through, but I feel like I probably need to go this time to get the new prescription and make sure nothing's wrong with my eyez. Hmmmm...living on the edge.

RIP El Chupe.

All he wanted was a little bit stronger eyeglasses prescription.

remember when CDC told us that non N-95 masks were a waste of time and no one needed to bother? I think it was about 7 weeks ago. cray

I can't believe that their two choices were "straight up lie" or "we're not sure if we have enough for the doctors so you're SOL"

I survived! Whew. That was a close one. No symptoms yet though, so I should be in the clear, right? Right? I'll give it a couple of hours just to be on the safe side before I declare myself healthy.

My technicians looked p hot even with their masks on; I was a little disappointed when my buddy came in for the actual exam.

Seems like that Jawzrcizer could give you buck teeth.
You'd have your own bottle opener though.
giphy.gif

Let me stick up for the lazy among us and say it is at least equal parts entitlement (used to others doing this stuff for them) and arrogance (do not think the health risks are worth it or serious enough to pure and healthy for this to put them in danger).

So, it's not just about one's physical motivation, man. There's some deeper shit responsible, too.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back