• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Chat Thread: Going To The Mattresses !!! !!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Really, it was a second place tie, but it's still second.

Has anyone managed to make crispy sweet potato fries in the oven? Mine are always pretty soggy. Can fry them and make em tasty though. Still never as good as with potatoes.

Have been making very good sweet potato fritters though.

I think it’s near impossible with sweet potatoes

Has anyone managed to make crispy sweet potato fries in the oven? Mine are always pretty soggy. Can fry them and make em tasty though. Still never as good as with potatoes.

We put a cooking rack on the baking sheet to maximize airflow and then hit them with the broiler at the last minute.

I’m attempting deep fried fries this weekend.

Have made duck fat fries before that turned out great

I’ve never deep fried at home. Seems like a big hassle.

We bought a deep fryer a couple of years ago but never used it. We ended up breaking it out on Good Friday for a fish fry.

This will be the second time it has been used.

I’m kind of intrigued by the Blackstone Griddle. Got a good review on Amazing Ribs.

Yeah, we tried to do that in the oven with fresh sweet potatoes and eventually gave up on the scheme. We now have an instapot/air fryer that makes bomb-ass fries.

I can’t believe I’m gonna write this, but I can’t help myself...

Biff, could you tell me how you make quality sweet potato fries in your instapot?

I’m 100% serious.

We spiralize and bake sweet potatoes and they come out tasty, but I sure as shit wouldn’t call them fries.

Says the guy with the basement office/gym.

Oh, I was on these calls in a t-shirt and shorts. Haven’t shaved in a couple of weeks. I look like a homeless person.

But I never said I was important.

If I knew I was going to be speaking with shareholders, I’d probably make an effort.

The wide chasm between those that attempted to present themselves well and those that didn’t was surprising to me... Especially when these folks were on the same panel.

@ say hey this news is devastating

Death Angel is a thrash metal band, not death metal.
Still this is sad news that I had already heard about, but still. I'm glad he's recovering.

Fun related side note: Death Angel's lead singer, Rob Cavestaney and his wife are regulars at one of the restaurants in SF that I worked at. He's (and her) a really cool dude.

Air fryer or a convection oven.
The sugar to starch ratios in sweet potatoes and yams are too different from true potatoes to do well in a regular oven. You *can* do it, but you usually have to coat them with extra starch.

do you have a convection setting on your oven?

I can’t believe I’m gonna write this, but I can’t help myself...

Biff, could you tell me how you make quality sweet potato fries in your instapot?

I’m 100% serious.

We spiralize and bake sweet potatoes and they come out tasty, but I sure as shit wouldn’t call them fries.

When I say we, I mean that I do some cutting and prep and my wife does the rest, so I don't really know how the magic happens. I will inquire and maybe learn something myself.

We also have a convection oven so I might look into that.

You'll have to flip them if ya'll use a convection oven for sweet tater fries, BTW.

Vitamix 5300 from Sam's Club... We have access to Costco & Sam's Club and it was cheaper at Sam's Club.

We got a Vitamix last Friday when our old one died and are loving it so far. Way better than the 15+ year old one that seemed to have trouble doing much of anything other than making a colossal mess.

Wife and I took the day off yesterday and drove out to Maryland and went for a couple hour hike. It was a pretty janky trail, but we didn't see a single person the entire time and it was nice to just get out for some fresh air and not think about work. My office is being really good about encouraging people to take PTO these days.

I never use the convection feature on my oven, mostly because I don't know how. I should probs figure that out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back