• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Chat Thread Indomitable: Move it to the exits

Status
Not open for further replies.
71a7127640346fcf432fef8544e2da8e.jpg

I think Trump is an idiot

But I do blame the dnc and everyone that kept pushing Hillary through the primaries. No one thought it was weird that Bernie was the only person willing to run against her and he still got 40%+ of the primary votes while being pretty out there?

I feel like the narrative all election was that the Republicans could have coasted by electing anyone reasonable and Trump was one of the few candidates that could lose to Clinton. Now it looks like the narrative all along should have been the opposite... The dems picked the one person that could actually lose to Trump.

Things that have me butthurt:

The way Trump ran his campaign was beyond the pale and he still won. Talks of jailing your political opposition, questioning the integrity of the democratic process, encouraging violence, refusing to prepare or pick issues--

Did you miss trumps 100 day plan? He laid out plenty of issues and opinions. I'm still having a hard time remembering any issue or opinion Hillary had other than she thinks trump is a goofball

Not immediately, no, but I think we'll start seeing some shifts locally.

I hope so. I just don't see it. The outsider just got absorbed into the establishment for both parties. You see internal divisions already. Have since the TP emerged, but they still haven't splintered. I would argue that the factional influence on primaries has been worse rather than better. If a Trump presidency doesn't go well, you will see some backlash against the Libertarian Party and/or the very idea of a third party. Our political system is really tied to geographic community, and our politics are more tied to affinity groups now via the internet.

Until the Millennials come to full power once the rest of the Greatest Gen dies and Boomers age, the GOP's tent will continue to dwarf a Dem party that tries to focus on populist issues.

This is bad and false. Hillary refused to discuss the economy and ran on "are you better off" rather than acknowledging the working poor. Playing on name calling racists/sexists and "privilege" isn't gonna fly with populists. Income inequality is something both parties can play with and pick up the majority of their base vote. Fact is it doesn't matter who either party trots out, 40% of the country will vote for them. It doesn't take a lot more to get over the top. Obama's populism worked twice recently. Populism doesn't have to mean trade agreements and immigration like it did this time.

Did you miss trumps 100 day plan? He laid out plenty of issues and opinions. I'm still having a hard time remembering any issue or opinion Hillary had other than she thinks trump is a goofball

He talked issues for 5 minutes in the middle of a long rant about how he was going to sue the people accusing him of sexual assault. Leadership! Gettysburg Address part two!

This is bad and false. Hillary refused to discuss the economy and ran on "are you better off" rather than acknowledging the working poor. Playing on name calling racists/sexists and "privilege" isn't gonna fly with populists. Income inequality is something both parties can play with and pick up the majority of their base vote. Fact is it doesn't matter who either party trots out, 40% of the country will vote for them. It doesn't take a lot more to get over the top. Obama's populism worked twice recently. Populism doesn't have to mean trade agreements and immigration like it did this time.

Bernie was the strongest force for the kind of populism you're talking about and he failed.

What does the Democratic Party stand for in 2016?

I hope so. I just don't see it. The outsider just got absorbed into the establishment for both parties. You see internal divisions already. Have since the TP emerged, but they still haven't splintered. I would argue that the factional influence on primaries has been worse rather than better. If a Trump presidency doesn't go well, you will see some backlash against the Libertarian Party and/or the very idea of a third party. Our political system is really tied to geographic community, and our politics are more tied to affinity groups now via the internet.

I think more young organizers are taking the long view and don't feel as beholden to party politics. We shall see. Breaking away the progressive cause from the Democratic party is the type of work that many groups around here are focused on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back