• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Chat Thread lame titles. Owning it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You work with developers, no? Pretty big deal for those folks.

Not really in residential housing. Bigger deal now is this moratorium which might pass which halts all new construction in LA for 2 years. Housing prices going to explode.

Not really in residential housing. Bigger deal now is this moratorium which might pass which halts all new construction in LA for 2 years. Housing prices going to explode.

What's that supposed to accomplish?

Yeah, the big problem in San Francisco is they don't add any housing units.

Its being paid by a special interest who wants the value of his properties to go up by not having competition, but it's being marketed as "protect our neighborhoods"

Woof, that's awful. Damn NIMBYs.

Sounds more like real estate industry greed than NIMBYism on this one.

Yeah, there was talk of that in Portland as well; I think they ended up just jacking up the taxes on new construction. There are all kinds of loopholes if you're able to maintain a piece of the original foundation or an exterior wall of the original house, though, so now there are just a ton of "remodels" which are effectively new homes that didn't have to pay the build tax.

Yeah, there was talk of that in Portland as well; I think they ended up just jacking up the taxes on new construction. There are all kinds of loopholes if you're able to maintain a piece of the original foundation or an exterior wall of the original house, though, so now there are just a ton of "remodels" which are effectively new homes that didn't have to pay the build tax.

gimme those IMPACT FEES

There is a 100-unit affordable housing development proposed for this northwest side neighborhood here in Chicago that is historically single-family homes, NIMBY as fuck. They had people outside the community meeting chanting "no section 8" and the social media comments around it were all thinly veiled racist comments. It's like if Myers Park were condensed and plopped in Chicago and the biffs were out there yelling about no black/brown people. Really tragic shit.

The mortgage interest deduction isn't the only one associated with home ownership. You've got taxes and PMI too.

For me it's more that I'm already paying all of that. It's just called "rent".

rj's use of "Massa Bob" and "Dance Monkey, Dance" make me uncomfortable

wikipedia: Dance, Monkey, Dance

Origins
The first noted use of this expression was in 1967 in the movie The Cape Town Affair. This movie, directed by Robert Webb, features two spies visiting South Africa. They stop in front of a street performer with a monkey. A little girl next to Claire Trevor shouts "Dance, Monkey, Dance!" at the animal.

Popular Culture
This expression has gained popularity since the 1980s. An episode of "Saturday Night Live" made it popular in 1986 with a single skit, where an actor dressed as a monkey in a cage is mocked by the visitors to a zoo. Since this skit, "Dance, Monkey, Dance!" is perceived as a mockery.

I thought it was from Zoolander :noidea:

Pretty sure there were "notable" uses of "Dance, Monkey, Dance" prior to 1967.

lol Wikipedia

i love that it includes an otherwise unremarkable film from 1967 but not Zoolander's reference

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back