• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Chat Thread lame titles. Owning it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
But the idea that stuff was just floating around and made a big bang for some reason comes from a genesis of nothing as well.

I'm not anywhere close to being intelligent enough to discuss the science behind the Big Bang Theory and the likelihood of it, but we (and by "we" I mean people smarter than me) can use empirical evidence and the laws of nature to work backwards and determine a reasonable point in time as to how and when it occurred.

my point is that I find all of that hard to believe as well, but since there is no reasonable explanation for how the universe came to exist outside of a creator, I have to believe that someone created it. If I'm willing to believe that, why is it such a stretch to believe the rest?

Pretty big stretch going from "there's not a verified scientific explanation for something" to "God has the power to turn women into salt". But you do you.

the most implausible thing the Bible suggests that the universe, and humans in particular, have a purpose

Okay, so where did the "stuff" of the Big Bang come from? I'm not asking for a scientific explanation - simply a reasonable basis for discussion. If the answer is "I don't know, but I'm sure scientists will someday figure it out," I find that idea completely contrary to reason, since we all learned the law of conservation of mass in high school.

I may come across as a Bible-basher, but I do enjoy the chapter about the technicolor dreamcoat.

Okay, so where did the "stuff" of the Big Bang come from? I'm not asking for a scientific explanation - simply a reasonable basis for discussion. If the answer is "I don't know, but I'm sure scientists will someday figure it out," I find that idea completely contrary to reason, since we all learned the law of conservation of mass in high school.

just so we're all on the same page, Diggler is willing to believe the Bible on the universe creation, but not willing to entertain other possibilities, including 'we'll never know in our lifetimes due to the lack of technology/ability to research' or even that it's literally unknowable to know what Came Before

Last edited:
Pretty big stretch going from "there's not a verified scientific explanation for something" to "God has the power to turn women into salt". But you do you.

I hear you. From my perspective, it's a pretty big stretch to believe that matter and energy simply appeared from nothing. I understand that your perspective assumes that all things can be explained by science eventually, but I find that unreasonable given that there's no plausible explanation for why the universe exists. Since there is no OTHER plausible reason for the existence of the universe, it's not unreasonable to believe in a creator, unless you are simply refusing to acknowledge the possibility of a creator and therefore have to depend on "someday science."

just so we're all on the same page, Diggler is willing to believe the Bible on the universe creation, but not willing to entertain other possibilities, including 'we'll never know in our lifetimes due to the lack of technology/ability to research' or even that it's literally unknowable what Came Before

The Relativity of Wrong seems pertinent.

Meeting update (because you all care so much)

I showed up and was told that I wasn't needed (even though I was the only person who brought an artifact to demonstrate campus growth as previously requested) because they had slimmed the committee down to just department heads. So I left and went to the Y! Big win for this guy.

Also its test day, so lets chat.
Is this is a win or a loss that your contributions aren't valued?

598782_v3.gif

just so we're all on the same page, Diggler is willing to believe the Bible on the universe creation, but not willing to entertain other possibilities, including 'we'll never know in our lifetimes due to the lack of technology/ability to research' or even that it's literally unknowable what Came Before

we aren't on the same page. I am completely open to understanding other possibilities, but I anticipate that it will be difficult within the realm of reason to explain how matter came to exist from complete nothingness. I fully appreciate that science will learn new things after I die, and I agree that what came before is unknowable. I'm pointing out that in the face of this "unknowable-ness", it's not ridiculous to think that there could be a creator. And, if you're willing to believe that, then a lot of other things become believable that otherwise seem ridiculous.

Is this is a win or a loss that your contributions aren't valued?

Definitely a win. I want to avoid being on any and all worthless committees that are only created because the state says we have to have documentation of its existence.

I'm not anywhere close to being intelligent enough to discuss the science behind the Big Bang Theory and the likelihood of it, but we (and by "we" I mean people smarter than me) can use empirical evidence and the laws of nature to work backwards and determine a reasonable point in time as to how and when it occurred.

Yeah, but how did all that shit get there in the first place to big bang itself ?

[Cynical] So much of white-collar American industry is worthless committees/meetings/e-mails that are only created to preserve an image that it is indispensable. [/thoughts]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back