• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Chat Thread Logorrhea !

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'll ask a question...

Let's say I am getting sick of my job and feel like my industry is in secular decline.

Are there any tools for trying to figure out what would be a better fit for me? I'm not talking about a personality test... I just don't even know what I'd like to do. Seems like applying to a bunch of random jobs because they sound interesting isn't the best way to go about it. Would obviously like to be more targeted/focused.

look for a headhunter to work with?

wife gets knocked up with surprise number 3 and decides he might want to change careers. brass nuts

I'll ask a question...

Let's say I am getting sick of my job and feel like my industry is in secular decline.

Are there any tools for trying to figure out what would be a better fit for me? I'm not talking about a personality test... I just don't even know what I'd like to do. Seems like applying to a bunch of random jobs because they sound interesting isn't the best way to go about it. Would obviously like to be more targeted/focused.

#teamoption2

I don't know anything about them, but there are career counselors that do this for a living. Might be worth a google.

look for a headhunter to work with?

wife gets knocked up with surprise number 3 and decides he might want to change careers. brass nuts

To be fair, it wasn't really a "surprise." We were having unprotected sex.

Job stuff is probably more of a mid-life crisis thing than anything else. It's been about 10 years at current job... Hate feeling like I am on cruise control and, as I mentioned, the industry seems to be dying. Would be fun to have a job I am passionate about. Maybe I'll ask donaldross what to do.

just list out what you like and what you're good at and I'll tell you the ideal job

I like:
Contrarian gambling on sports
Playing mediocre golf
Doing modified CrossFit and/or lifting weights in my basement
Solving puzzles / Completing tasks
Watching movies/TV... Used to play video games before I got married and had kids
Reading books that aren't too difficult / pretentious
Traveling is fun... I used to do that a lot more in my current job

I'm good at:
I'm pretty likeable... Generally get along w/ everyone (even though I only really like a few people)
Very task-oriented and organized, perhaps to a fault (sometimes would be better to just jump into action vs. analyzing everything to death)
Relatively athletic... Could play most any sport and not embarrass myself
People would probably say I am smart. Did well in school. Good test-taker.
I'm really good if you give me something to do and a deadline... I'm less good if you are vague about something because I'll just get bored.

I guess that is a good start. What should I do?

I like:
Contrarian gambling on sports
Playing mediocre golf
Doing modified CrossFit and/or lifting weights in my basement
Solving puzzles / Completing tasks
Watching movies/TV... Used to play video games before I got married and had kids
Reading books that aren't too difficult / pretentious
Traveling is fun... I used to do that a lot more in my current job

I'm good at:
I'm pretty likeable... Generally get along w/ everyone (even though I only really like a few people)
Very task-oriented and organized, perhaps to a fault (sometimes would be better to just jump into action vs. analyzing everything to death)
Relatively athletic... Could play most any sport and not embarrass myself
People would probably say I am smart. Did well in school. Good test-taker.
I'm really good if you give me something to do and a deadline... I'm less good if you are vague about something because I'll just get bored.

I guess that is a good start. What should I do?

giphy.gif

To clarify, I'm smart like I'd do well on Jeopardy, not like I could explain to you how a plane is able to fly without crashing.

I don't know anything about them, but there are career counselors that do this for a living. Might be worth a google.

If you're serious: this.

If you're just exploring the idea: talk to lots of people. You'll learn more about what you might want to do through conversation, and your network will clue you in to available opportunities in your interest/strength areas.

Perhaps an obvious caveat: if you wouldn't want someone to know you were looking/applying for other jobs, don't talk to them.

If you're serious: this.

If you're just exploring the idea: talk to lots of people. You'll learn more about what you might want to do through conversation, and your network will clue you in to available opportunities in your interest/strength areas.

Perhaps an obvious caveat: if you wouldn't want someone to know you were looking/applying for other jobs, don't talk to them.

Yeah, I already reached out to a few friends to talk about their career progression and how they ended up where they are. Seemed like a good thing to do regardless of whether or not I make a change.

I'll explore career counselors in the area... Would probably be a good exercise.

It sounds kind of lame, but ask/find out what your friends do. Not what their job is or where they work or whatever, but what they actually DO. The more you find out about options out there, the better idea you may have about what kind of position you'd be looking for.

Would you consider prostitute and adult film actress to both fall under the job classification of “whore?”

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back