• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Chat Thread - Make BiffTannen Great Again

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, the GA is debating all this now, I think, including, I guess, whether to get rid of the ABC system all together. Beats me, man. I'm sure they will figure out a way to fuck it all up.

Man, Handel and Haydn are doing Dido and Aeneas at Jordan Hall at the end of March, but I'm already going up to Boston earlier in the month, and then to Ireland in April, and I don't know if I can sandwich another trip to Boston to see that, although it would be dope, and this is their artistic director's -- the great Harry Christophers -- second to last season.

Who knew it was pronounced Pur-CELL?? I should have, it's kind of my thing. Oh well. I guess he's English, and one of the great choral conductors of the last century, so I will have to defer.

So choice.

Last edited:
I also read there's a proposal to possibly privatize liquor sales?

I'll believe it when I see it. The party of small government seems pretty resistant,

But others consider liquor consumption a health and safety issue that warrants the current government restrictions. They cite figures in the Program Evaluation Division's report that said North Carolina, among all Southeastern states, collects the most public revenue per gallon of liquor sold and has the second lowest per-capita liquor consumption.

"Why would we ever want to be like those other Southeastern states?" asked Randolph County GOP Rep. Pat Hurley, a member of the legislative oversight committee hearing the report's presentation. She's also worried increased consumption could lead to more impaired-driving charges.

Also, this:

Other proposals received mixed reactions.

The state could make more money by allowing ABC stores to open on Sundays. North Carolina is one of only eight states that doesn't allow liquor store sales on Sundays.

"I think we need Sunday free for the Lord's day," said Rep. Pat Hurley, a Republican from Randolph County.

The Elon poll suggests many North Carolinians agree, as 52 percent of respondents said ABC stores should continue to be closed on Sunday.

:trance1:

Charlotte just got a massive financial HQ. HB2 is behind us. All-Star Game here this weekend. Possible/probable MLS team and possible world cup host city. #incline.

Charlotte just got a massive financial HQ. HB2 is behind us. All-Star Game here this weekend. Possible/probable MLS team and possible world cup host city. #incline.

NC is kind of an interesting case right now. Charlotte is developing rapidly and is the financial center of the Southeast. The Triangle is exploding right now and has a very active tech/life science scene. Durham in particular has been transformed entirely in like 5 years. Asheville obviously everyone knows about and there are very nice coastal areas. But outside of those areas there are huge swaths of terrible/depressed parts of the state. Pretty stark contrast.

NC is kind of an interesting case right now. Charlotte is developing rapidly and is the financial center of the Southeast. The Triangle is exploding right now and has a very active tech/life science scene. Durham in particular has been transformed entirely in like 5 years. Asheville obviously everyone knows about and there are very nice coastal areas. But outside of those areas there are huge swaths of terrible/depressed parts of the state. Pretty stark contrast.

Yeah, have you seen Greensboro lately ? Sheesh.

Lol, my bus driver is asking each person as they board "where's the national emergency? You seen it?"

"Guess he ran out of money"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back