• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Chat Thread - Make BiffTannen Great Again

Status
Not open for further replies.
Inventory in Chicago is at an historical low

tons of people that would sell and ease some market pressure, but they bought their homes too expensively ten or fifteen years ago and can't sell

It definitely greatly depends on where you are buying and the real estate team you are working with. I always thought with the internet and all the listing sites a real estate agent is obsolete but I was very wrong.

yeah when we went through the process we pretty much found most of the houses we wanted to see and just saved them to our profile so our realtor could arrange showings and take us. although the house we ended up buying was actually one she showed us but we hadn't looked at since it was an area of town we hadn't considered. but she was most helpful in the negotiating and getting under contract and such, which we had no idea about.

Inventory in Chicago is at an historical low

tons of people that would sell and ease some market pressure, but they bought their homes too expensively ten or fifteen years ago and can't sell

Prices in Chicago are lower now than they were 10 or 15 years ago?

that's where i live now

i'm basically 20 min from any metro stop though and it's like $750-$1000/sq foot to buy here

Why even buy at that price? Just rent and stay there and put the money you save into like Gold or something for the coming apocalpyse

Why even buy at that price? Just rent and stay there and put the money you save into like Gold or something for the coming apocalpyse

we can buy in a more fun neighborhood, closer to metros, for less

just gotta find the right spot

also i'm about to use all my apocalypse gold on this house

Prices in Chicago are lower now than they were 10 or 15 years ago?

In a lot of the neighborhoods that aren't the hot markets they are

For example, I just bought and sold a condo, 18 months apart. It was in a rough-ish part of town, adjacent to a nicer part of town. I bought my unit at 35% of what the condo board president bought an identical unit at in 2006. Sold it at 45% of what she bought it at. It'll be a long time til she's not under water. A lot of communities got crushed

However, in hot markets, some condos probably doubled in that time. But in those neighborhoods, only the wealthy can afford to buy. Middle class neighborhoods got crushed by overvalued mortgages.

It's just a highly segregated city that has very out-of-whack real estate markets.

that's where i live now

i'm basically 20 min from any metro stop though and it's like $750-$1000/sq foot to buy here

Wait until August and rent my buddy's 2 Bed row house that's 5 minutes from Union Station. Or his renovated 1 bed basement.

In a lot of the neighborhoods that aren't the hot markets they are

For example, I just bought and sold a condo, 18 months apart. It was in a rough-ish part of town, adjacent to a nicer part of town. I bought my unit at 35% of what the condo board president bought an identical unit at in 2006. Sold it at 45% of what she bought it at. It'll be a long time til she's not under water. A lot of communities got crushed

However, in hot markets, some condos probably doubled in that time. But in those neighborhoods, only the wealthy can afford to buy. Middle class neighborhoods got crushed by overvalued mortgages.

It's just a highly segregated city that has very out-of-whack real estate markets.

That's nuts, makes sense based on what I know about the city, and crazy at the same time. Yeah, I had a buddy buy a condo in Vegas for $600k in 2006, It's worth like $150k today. Even the place we rented which was $600k at the time, went down to about $250k and I think is now only back to around $400k.

Dude, it's the FUCKING WORST right now. In the history of the United States, the home buying/selling process has never been harder/more onerous. The process 20 years ago wasn't even fucking comparable, but now because some CEOs can't keep their dollar-dicks in their pants, middle America has to take it in the ass.

What are you referring to that’s bad about the process? The whole part of getting a loan and stuff is pretty straightforward and easy, or so I thought.

I pay $875 + electric for my 2br in Pittsburgh. 15 mins from downtown. V happy with it.

I’ve thought about one, but for a similar footprint, I’d rather do a full-size.

Also, I think I’d rather have pinball.

Speaking of pinball

02b66585a783496dd472993cb52b2359.jpg

I’m thinking of splurging on the first pinball machine in a couple months. If you could pick 5 to own, what would they be?

I’m thinking Dialed In for the first one. It’s the only machine in LA I can come close to one day having the high score, so that’s the one I find myself wanting to play non stop. Just a great game.

What are you referring to that’s bad about the process? The whole part of getting a loan and stuff is pretty straightforward and easy, or so I thought.

The process of going through and getting a loan is a mess right now. So much red tape. If you have multiple income streams or anything that is even the smallest bit out of the ordinary the banks want to turn you inside out. It’s a joke. Add that to the rising mortgage rates and it’s not even worth buying right now if you can help it.

You know what really sucks? The application to adopt a kid. Apparently you gotta sign and write a lot of stuff if you want a human to be legally signed over to you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back