• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Chat Thread- Mako and Mt Olive Dipping Vibes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why has no one thought of fire-fighting drones yet? I'm literally right now the first one to think of that. Someone take my idea and go do that.
Has anyone yet thought just to direct some clouds over the fire?

That's why I post here, I am expert

logjammin-still4-900w.jpg

...when did that happen? The name was created in 2011... how did I miss this?

You can only request a name change. We mods must approve it and change it.

@tsywake is this true re: size? This account is very much of the mindset of more transit, more dense housing, etc but I was unfamiliar with this taek.

Huge fire rigs are not super efficient; ~5 percent of calls actually require the fire fighting component of the rig's capabilities. Well-appointed Tahoes (or other big trucks) can also be super effective in responding to lower-acuity calls and can amplify a departments ability to respond to call volume (because 2-3 people in a truck can respond instead of a crew of 6 in an engine). That said, where there often ends up being a lot of pushback is from the political side - nobody wants to be the person who takes a fire truck off the line, potentially increasing response times to the areas serviced by that station. For smaller jurisdictions, they also may not have that flexibility in the vehicles because each incremental rig is that much more important. It's a lot easier to swap to other options when your n+1 is going from 20 to 21, as opposed to a smaller town talking about 1 or 2 engines.
Agree with LBE, we are stuck in a cowboy mentality with the fire service. We'd be much better suited to have trucks similar to Europe and Asia. Same with the gear. My helmet weighs 12 lbs, but looks badass. The futuristic euro helmets weigh significantly less and offer the same protection.

In the past decade, our dept has purchased a F350 with a camper shell. It runs our medical calls, which are 80% of our run volume. It's our most used piece of apparatus.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back