• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Chat Thread: Ready for the reign/rain to end

Status
Not open for further replies.
My best friend from childhood did this to me around the age of 23. He was the best man at my wedding. One of the very last times I ever saw him was at his wedding just a few months later.
I wouldn’t say ghosting, but I hardly ever talk to my friends just because things get busy. I loathe phone calls so other than some group chats when my friends live in different cities we might talk a handful of times a year or less. We pick up right where we left off when we see each other (which isn’t even annually).

CT peoples, have y'all had experiences like that in your adult life? Just random friends who turn on you for literally no reason? If so, do you cope by just not giving a shit, or do you try to exhaust every avenue to rekindle the friendship?
People are weird. I always stand by the words of Uncle Vester (Bernie Mac #RIP) from House Party 3.

1712839415502.png

"Fuck' em against the wall, with handcuffs on and crazy glue on their lips!"

That's wild. No indication of why he ghosted you like that?
Eh, he had been dating his wife, who was super Christian, since around the time I started at Wake, and as he got more fervently into Church and I was going ham at Wake as a freshman, he just slowly stopped talking to me. I had promised him years before that he would be my first man if I got married, but by the time of my wedding he was fully checked out and I basically did all the typical best man-tasks myself. I remember his speech was pretty short and didn’t really have any stories about us, but did have a weird quote from the Iron Man movie(?). Just a weird, sad experience. The last time I reached out to him through his mom was to let him know my first daughter was born. Think he texted back “congrats man”, and that was it.

Everyone should have a nemesis if @birdman can do it so can you.
I'm a deep believer in the academic or disciplinary nemesis.

Qualifications for my definition:

similar field;
same level, perhaps competing for the same jobs or promotions;
friendly, but not really friends
similarly situated in life (e.g. intelligent/good-looking/talented/whatever);

most importantly, you must respect them.

Having such a nemesis will make you both better

similar field;

This is hard to do when you're unrivaled by any.

similar field;

Especially when you’re both on a quest to recover an ancient artifact before the other

I've often considered a pill container so I'd remember to take all of my supplements.

But a few of them are powders or liquids, so that doesn't really work.

Honestly, depends on the region you're in. It has some cultish qualities but overall I don't find the Winston region to be that bad. I've heard stories from a friend in another region that are just ridiculous.
It changes within region, based on site. Most of the workouts aren't hyper-religious, mainly because one of the leaders of our region isn't religious at all and will always remind folks to be welcoming - but a lot of the sites are full of super religious people. Some are filled with military wannabees, some are filled with super Christian Nationalists. We have three Black-led sites that seem to be more chill and less culty.

Have any of you guys ever hired a Wake Forest alumnus before?
No but was hired by one because I was one. Interviewed at a large nonprofit early in my career, didn’t get the job but the recruiter had the same role in a different dept. hiring manager was a Deac and she later told me once she saw that the interview was a formality just a quick vibes check. Worked with her at two different orgs for 6-7 years.

Would love that same kind of luck again !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back