• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Chat Thread Redacted: keep it like a secret

Status
Not open for further replies.
Doesn't help that Alicia Keys' biggest hit is an absolutely terrible song.

RJ once gave about 70 people on the boards an app that could have saved their lives or protected their family from ISIS.

The fact that Biff think its something to be mocked shows what a douchbag he is

No amount of snarky, arrogant, self-indulgent idiocy by biff lead to paying attention to them on this subject. My bad, you guys know everything about every subject.

Tina Fey was fantastic as usual. I still crush on her so hard. Her Palin impression showed she hasn't aged nearly has much as Palin has over the last 10 years. The Mean Girls Broadway bit was hilarious as well.

The SNL "This is America" came up on YouTube after I watched Nicki Minaj's performances from Saturday. It's still very good, but it loses luster if you've seen the video first. But then I thought back to my immediate reaction to the SNL performance. I googled the song and found the video after I finished watching the show. Then I spent about 20 minutes trying to find any write-ups about the video has I watched it 5 more times.

On a tangent, YouTube took me to Glover's cover of Tamia's "So Into You" on an Australian radio show. That took me down the road of several early 00s Alicia Keys videos. I was never that big of a fan. She was great, but I wasn't all that into her. But damn, I got the feels looking back and watching her early stuff. She was so damn cute and the music just had a groove that isn't really around anymore.

Best Alicia Keys video is If I Ain't Got You with Method Man acting in it.

not sure if unpopular opinion:

SNL cold openers are becoming lame pastiches of themselves

that Sopranos one was just unfunny sans Alex Moffat's big wheels part

a skit that relies on meet the parents and the sopranos allusions for most of the comedy after a decade? wat.

a skit that uses meet the parents and the sopranos allusions after a decade? wat.

yeah, Alex Moffat is underutilized

They're an hour in right now so doubt and exhausting are equally starting to take their toll.

De Niro is so bad at SNL. Like so, so, so, so, so bad.

The cold opens are generally bad, mostly because Baldwin's Trump is lame, and most of the jokes revolve around castmembers making funny faces. (This has become McKinnon's schtick with 90% of her impressions. Her Giuliani is just "what if old man, but bug-eyed?") The sketches pull most of their political punches until Weekend Update rolls around.

Agreed on Moffat, though. His Eric Trump is great, and I like his Joe Scarborough (even though, again, most of the joke there is around his relationship with Mika). Guy Who Just Bought a Boat is always funny.

Also think Melissa Villasenor and Heidi Gardner don't get enough screentime.

Some of the best moments this past month or so have been the musical numbers, which is unusual, and two of them were inexplicably cut for time.

The weird HAIM spoof this week was perfect, and Nicki's appearance was hilarious.

There was a great Migos spoof in the Donald Glover episode (plus the highlight of the episode, that 80s music video spoof that I think was already posted here).

Mulaney's ep had a weird sketch with Jack White as a wedding singer that was cut for time too, but that's apparently been removed from YouTube.

Best Alicia Keys video is If I Ain't Got You with Method Man acting in it.

I would have gone with “You Don’t Know My Name” with Mos Def acting in it.

a skit that relies on meet the parents and the sopranos allusions for most of the comedy after a decade? wat.

Not unpopular. The Sopranos sketch was boring. I liked the Meet the Parents sketch. Overall I think the Trump focus is getting lazy. The moms cold open specifically referenced this.

man, friendship song sucked. the worst part was it was played live i guess b/c people laughed a little at one joke but ugh

this week's episode seems like there were some ideas that have been sitting around since 2007-08 -- Sopranos finale, To Catch a Predator, bringing back the Palin impression

I've got a great SNL skit idea ! It's a Standoff between the US and Soviet Union at the end of the Cold War ! And they embark on a lot of hijinks about how it really ended. Could be funny if you haven't already read the book.

this week's episode seems like there were some ideas that have been sitting around since 2007-08 -- Sopranos finale, To Catch a Predator, bringing back the Palin impression

It was a pretty bad episode, yeah. I didn't even bother finishing the Palin sketch, tbh. The Mean Girls sketch was lame.

The monologue was fine. I liked Pervert Hunters. Chicago Improv made me laugh, which was a nice change of pace. Talent Show was, uh, really well acted? I guess? Kenan's "...one day we were just banging, you know?" was funny.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back