• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Chat Thread: RJKarl Given 1 Point by LK, Later Rescinded !!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
ATL def solidly on the decline but just had a terrific dinner at Poor Calvin’s so that was a highlight.

Yeah. Trump wants to be a war time incumbent. He’s just picking on Iran and pissing off our allies in the process.

Why can't the U.S. have cool, fast trains that connect any decently large city like Europe/Asia? Like, I want to be able to take a 2 hour train to Atlanta vs sitting in traffic for 5 hours. Basically, the below. Just need Sir Richard Branson to live long enough to make it happen privately.

southeast-high-speed-rail-map-768x989.png

^ This would be my dream. I freaking love trains, and hate traffic.

One of my biggest regrets in life will be not living in a city with solid public transit.

Because the Americans with the cash/influence to do that would rather watch the world burn.

The opera star I've developed a huge crush on, Isabel Leonard, is performing at UNC next spring. Gonna throw some game.

we sold our soul to cars long ago

In the 1940's, SoCal had a great trolley and train system. A tire company and Union Oil bought the trolley company and pulled the tracks out of the streets so that they could sell more gas and tires.

Yeah, we've fucked it up from the beginning. Rubber and oil. Plastics. War. Good times.

we sold our soul to cars long ago

High speed train investment is my favorite part of the New Green Deal

https://www.vox.com/2019/2/8/18215774/green-new-deal-high-speed-train-air-travel

Katie Mack

@AstroKatie
One of the proposals in the “Green New Deal” is to build high-speed train lines so flying is less necessary. This is not a radical proposal. In Japan, the Shinkansen covers distance approx LA-San Francisco in 2.5 hrs. At peak, trains every 10 minutes. The line was built in 1964.
9:35 PM - Feb 7, 2019
Twitter Ads info and privacy
4,717 people are talking about this

Yonah Freemark

@yfreemark
Dec 21, 2018
Just reminded myself that the distance between NYC and Chicago is almost exactly that between Beijing and Shanghai, and that the 1st is served by 1 train/day that takes 19 hours, and the 2nd is served by 35 trains/day that take as few as 4.5 hours.

Yonah Freemark

@yfreemark
Also, the Beijing—Shanghai route carries about 180 million riders a year, about as many as rode on all of Delta Airlines' network in 2017,
4:32 PM - Dec 21, 2018
411 people are talking about this

It does sound like there's some good stuff in the works, both public and private, but we all may be old/dead by the time they materialize.

We just had a light rail proposal killed here because Duke Medicine came up with an excuse. It was originally supposed to link the Triangle, but then Raleigh/Wake backed out, then was looking good at least for Durham/Chapel Hill but for this last second pull out. Guessing Koch-related money had something to do with it.

It does sound like there's some good stuff in the works, both public and private, but we all may be old/dead by the time they materialize.

You just have to support candidates that are interested in making it happen, tigerswood.

I mean if we have to sacrifice a few million rubes in order to take this Great Leap Forward, I'd consider it

The City of Fountain Valley (about 50K) hired a consulting company and had a city council meeting to come up with a name for the park where they have a veterans memorial, a piece of the World Trade Center, hold a Veterans' Day Ceremony and other similar events. After the study and a city council meeting, they held a vote on the paid for name - Veterans Park.

Really? How creative!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back