• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Chat Thread: RJKarl Given 1 Point by LK, Later Rescinded !!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
there's no way the united states could pull off the establishment of a quality rail network. our politics and culture is so far beyond having the leadership capable of that kind of infrastructure leap.

we can't even maintain the infrastructure we already have

In the 1940's, SoCal had a great trolley and train system. A tire company and Union Oil bought the trolley company and pulled the tracks out of the streets so that they could sell more gas and tires.

We’ve all seen Who Framed Roger Rabbit

It's a mess. We're fucked. Peace out homies. The boards keep it real, at least.

We just had a light rail proposal killed here because Duke Medicine came up with an excuse. It was originally supposed to link the Triangle, but then Raleigh/Wake backed out, then was looking good at least for Durham/Chapel Hill but for this last second pull out. Guessing Koch-related money had something to do with it.

my dad is a big advocate for bus rapid transit in the Triangle

trains are sexy, but very expensive -- buses are the best option in a lot of locations, especially in the short term

I know a few people who do the TTA -- sorry, GoTriangle -- to come to work here from Durham or Raleigh. Seems to work ok. One of the ones that goes to Durham is the 420 bus. Sweeeeeet.

I rode the bus a decent amount in Austin, as it worked very well.

I also lived by a stop that took you directly downtown. So if you wanted to go out for the night, take the bus down for a buck and then uber home.

I once took the late night UT bus back with Wakephan which was a giant cluster F. It took forever and everyone was bombed. It was way easier to pay the $7-8 and take an uber home.

given that existing infrastructure is so car-centric, dedicating lanes and deploying buses is cheaper than trains by an enormous factor

see biff above: consumer behavior will be very resistant, but just like with cars, how we invest in infrastructure and transit will greatly drive demand

I don't flip people off because people are fucking crazy.

I honk once and give the palms turned upward signal. That still causes some people to lose their shit.

I do this move sometimes that drives people insane.

I'm driving down a highway and get stuck behind someone slow. There is someone behind me who also notices said slow person. We have both slowed down. Person behind me tries to get around both of us. I have my blinker on the whole time but get out into the faster lane before the person behind me can past both me and the car in front. Person behind loses their shit.

My thought is - look asshole - we both got stuck behind that guy. I put my blinker on. You saw and tried to accelerate past me and not let me out. Fuck off. Those people go nuts though. I love it.

And yes, I will likely meet my demise in some sort of road rage incident with a MAGAtard wearing a red hat.

given that existing infrastructure is so car-centric, dedicating lanes and deploying buses is cheaper than trains by an enormous factor

see biff above: consumer behavior will be very resistant, but just like with cars, how we invest in infrastructure and transit will greatly drive demand

Talking about trains...the last time I did this was about eight years ago. If you wanted to go from 30th Street Station in Philly to NYC on AMTRAK it cost about $100 RT. However, if you went on the public transport trains, it only cost about $25 RT. The main differences were that AMTRAK took about 30-45 minutes less; the seats were more comfortable and there is a snack car.

yeah, ok, sure

giphy.gif

Has there ever been a good post or tweet with this emoji? 😂

(This post included in the above question)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back