• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Chat Thread: RJKarl Given 1 Point by LK, Later Rescinded !!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Those World Strongest Man comps were great. And then to Keith Olbermann in his “cool” leather jacket. Great mid-90s Dutch soccer action though.

Great Outdoor Games were awesome. The event where they chopped the log, put the planks to stand on in their chopping holes, and then had to chop off the very top of the log was crazy.

Yeah that was my jam, too.

Plus the totally eXtreme original graphics

2sao845.jpg

Last edited:
I used to visit my uncle and aunt’s place back in the mid-2000s and they had Dish Network which had a separate Food Network HD station that was like 80% Good Eats reruns and pretty much all the commercials were PSAs.

I cannot wait to binge watch Good Eats Reloaded soon. Good Eats or Top Chef for GOAT cooking show?

Those are prob the top 2. GE Reloaded was a lot of fun, but I'm looking forward to the actual reboot of GE, which Alton Brown just started filming this week according to his Instagram.

In my first two years here I worked with a woman who made it on Top Chef, and I also supervised a kid who made it pretty far on American Idol.

Nah, that was the first year I moved back to NC, though. Damn, people were losing their shit over Clay Aiken. It was this kid Anoop. I think he made it like top 12 or something. My former coworker Danyele was on Top Chef. Red hair, lots of tats.

From the John Jeremiah Sullivan piece on Rhiannon Giddens in the New Yorker:

I asked her to tell me about Greensboro. I have spent a lot of time in the city—my in-laws live there—and its vagueness has always struck me as compelling. Regionally speaking, it does not signify, even for people who are otherwise somewhat familiar, at a distance, with North Carolina. Charlotte folks sort of know it. Their brains go, “Banks . . . insurance . . . Nascar.” The so-called Triangle of Raleigh, Durham, and Chapel Hill is the cultured part of the state. Wilmington is the beach. Asheville is the mountains. Winston-Salem is cigarettes and the Moravians. What is Greensboro?

“I don’t know,” Giddens said, with precision. I was prepared to leave it there, but she continued, “It’s such an interesting place. It has a lot to do with who I am. Because of the cultural mix here.” She pointed out that Greensboro has a significant Jewish population, a Baha’i population, universities—including two historically black colleges—and a general Piedmont weirdness that keeps people guessing. “The beginning of the sit-in movement was here”—at the Woolworth’s counter, downtown, now a civil-rights museum. “There’s just a lot of interesting agitation,” she said. “I kind of grew up with all of that around me.”

Whenever Giddens and I have talked about Greensboro, she has, with a surprising frequency, mentioned the K&W Cafeteria there. She loves it. K&W is a popular regional chain restaurant, a buffet-style eatery, that got started in Winston-Salem, and the one at Friendly Center in Greensboro has been there for more than fifty years. “When you walk into that place, everybody’s there,” she said. “You’ve got your folks off work, you have all of the working class there, white and black, country folk who are in the city, city folk who have been there all the time. It’s my family. Both sides of my family would go to K&W. The food is unpretentious and Southern. It represents Greensboro, blacks and whites together. It’s hard to explain the feeling I get.”

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back