• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Chat Thread Smidger: RIP, internet acquaintance

going to conferences by yourself kind of sucks but it's cool to get on elevators and realize you read some old dude's article in class and goddamnit he's right there

A pretty famous ecologist wss on my committee. He literally wrote one of the books that I used to study for my comps. And then he was in my comps, asking me those questions, but every time I had to email him, it made me all fan girl a little bit. Academia is so weird

A pretty famous ecologist wss on my committee. He literally wrote one of the books that I used to study for my comps. And then he was in my comps, asking me those questions, but every time I had to email him, it made me all fan girl a little bit. Academia is so weird

I'm trying to figure out whether or not I should start going to conferences. My best guess is they're pretty much a waste of time that upper level people do because they don't want to work and can charge it to business development. Not that they're invaluable, but they're probably not worth the man hours and flight and accomodations to go to a "mergers and acquisitions" conference or a "business strategies" conference. Probably get 1 or 2 nuggets that are useful, but I can probably accomplish the same by just getting them to buy me some expensive books.

I'm trying to figure out whether or not I should start going to conferences. My best guess is they're pretty much a waste of time that upper level people do because they don't want to work and can charge it to business development. Not that they're invaluable, but they're probably not worth the man hours and flight and accomodations to go to a "mergers and acquisitions" conference or a "business strategies" conference. Probably get 1 or 2 nuggets that are useful, but I can probably accomplish the same by just getting them to buy me some expensive books.

They're about seeing old friends and hanging out and getting drunk. And getting re-enthused about your field. Definitely awesome.

So I'm in Philly, at the bar at the Ritz, and just saw one dude literally carried out of the bar (literally, PTFO like a baby) and now the bartender had to wake up another old dude who passed out. Amazing.

And the dude next to me who was living some real life shit in real time with his estranged nephew turned out to be Vince McMahon's lieutenant, so we stared talking about my boi Shane and gave him a call. Philly is like no other.

also you need to find conferences in better locations. I'm hitting vegas 3 times in the next 5 months, plus phoenix and dallas.

My cabbie is driving in downtown Philly like it's a damn Grand Prix race or something. We're defs gonna kill a pedestrian.

I think I have a stress fracture or something in my foot. Woke up with it yesterday and it's worse today. Sharp pain on the outside edge of my left foot. Gonna call my dad after work to get his thoughts.

I think I have a stress fracture or something in my foot. Woke up with it yesterday and it's worse today. Sharp pain on the outside edge of my left foot. Gonna call my dad after work to get his thoughts.

Is he psychic?

He's a radiologist so I'll see what he says and if I should see someone -- and specifically which type of doc.

my uncle-in-law is a radiologist and seems to know literally nothing else about medicine except perhaps who to see and how to navigate the system

He's a radiologist so I'll see what he says and if I should see someone -- and specifically which type of doc.

I know he's a doctor. Just trying to figure out how vast his diagnosis skills are through the phone.

My dad is a retired OB/GYN. Even though he specializes in vaginas, he knows a lot about other areas.

Well I can't speak for your UIL but my dad does do a lot of volunteer work at a clinic so he's doing a lot of hands-on work with people. And he works a lot with GE on designing their equipment -- he has a great understanding of the technology behind radiology.

Well I can't speak for your UIL but my dad does do a lot of volunteer work at a clinic so he's doing a lot of hands-on work with people. And he works a lot with GE on designing their equipment -- he has a great understanding of the technology behind radiology.

im sure he's a great doc. i wasn't trying to cut him down - was just chuckling because my UIL is a huge hypochondriac and didn't even occur to him that the litany of symptoms i was experiencing in full-force at his place over the 4th was Lyme Disease. does excellent work in his field though, very successful radiologist - just keep him in his wheelhouse.

When he started at the clinic he did say he was really rusty because he rarely worked with patients save a couple of procuedures he does in his day job. He was laughing because he and a pathologist who started volunteering at first had no idea what they were doing. They had to go way back to their med school training and he's done a ton of reading and continuing ed. My FIL is also a pathologist so the resources I have at my disposal are just about the two least patient-seeing specialties.

But you're right about radiologists in general. They spend their careers in dark rooms reading films.

one of the biggest self-centered douches i know is as radiologist.

he's quite successful, but is generally insufferable.

There's a delegation of cardiologists having their pictures taken in the Blue Room. You wouldn't think you could find a group of people more arrogant than the fifteen of us, but there they are, right upstairs in the Blue Room

Back