• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Chat Thread Smidger: RIP, internet acquaintance

anyone deal with having their business accredited with the better business bureau? seems like a scam

The Better Business Bureau is totally a scam.

Last edited:
Not having an firsthand experience dealing with opioid addictions, I'm ignorant how one can have an addiction like that and simultaneously carry on a reasonably normal life. Like, Smidger had a job, posted on the boards, etc -- that surprises me. Are any of you other fuckers addicted to opioids?

The Better Business Bureau is totally a scam.

yeah, i gathered as much. this guy calls at 845 and rambles for like 15 min about a bunch of shit and asks for $700 on a credit card and i'm like "do people usually just hand over their info?"

Thinking about it, forums like this should have a "burn box" when you sign up. If you check the burn box, upon your death, the account gets wiped.

I know the mods were able to wipe my old account that way.

Why should your actions be erased after death, it's like when people are found guilty of murder while family and friends say he was a good boy he went to church, ahh clearly he wasn't. If you care about your after death legacy then care about what you say or do. This is a general statement as I don't think smidge said or did anything here that was bad. Now bkf I'm gonna print out his posts and leave them at his grave.

Why should your actions be erased after death, it's like when people are found guilty of murder while family and friends say he was a good boy he went to church, ahh clearly he wasn't. If you care about your after death legacy then care about what you say or do. This is a general statement as I don't think smidge said or did anything here that was bad. Now bkf I'm gonna print out his posts and leave them at his grave.

Louis Gossett Jr, Speaker for the Dead

If y'all nerds got on board with (mostly) ephemeral social media mediums like Snapchat and YikYak then we wouldn't have this problem.

Not having an firsthand experience dealing with opioid addictions, I'm ignorant how one can have an addiction like that and simultaneously carry on a reasonably normal life. Like, Smidger had a job, posted on the boards, etc -- that surprises me. Are any of you other fuckers addicted to opioids?

I imagine as long as you can go 8 hours through the day and get a daily fix at night you can hide it fairly well. But fuck no, with my addictive personality if I ever tried a drug stronger than pot (which I don't like) I'd be an addict instantly.

Very long piece from n+1, a diary on a woman's relationship with her uncle, an addict, and her quest to better under heroin and addiction: https://nplusonemag.com/issue-24/essays/h/.

A few passages that stood out to me:

I MET R. THROUGH A DATING APP. Now I am sitting with him in a wooden booth in a dark bar drinking Campari with soda and lime. We talk, and it’s clear he knows a lot of things. He refuses to say much about it, but for years he studied Kabbalah. He also lived in India, studied Buddhism. Now he works as a professor. We share some ideas about politics, enough to make him stand out among the other dates. We seem to be getting along all right.

Recently he has been to Vancouver. I tell him that I’ve also been there. We talk about the Downtown Eastside, and he tells me he knows and respects the work of Gabor Maté, whom I interviewed on my trip. Maté is a physician and harm-reduction advocate, a proponent of safe injection sites, who worked in the Downtown Eastside for twelve years. He’s also a proponent of the healing powers of ayahuasca, which is how R. knows of him. I enjoy this conversation, the overlaps in our knowledge. I tell him about Da Vinci’s Inquest, the Canadian television program based on Vancouver’s chief coroner turned mayor, the same mayor who was in office when Insite opened. R. tells me that he has done, still sometimes does do, heroin. A casual user.

It’s like a test. I can recall the many times I have pointed out, in abstract conversations, that heroin’s reputation does not align with scientific evidence; that although it can be devastating for some, it is not, in itself, any more dangerous than a lot of other drugs, and people who use heroin are unduly stigmatized. But here it is no longer abstract. Will I hold it against R.?
Later, when I mention this detail to a friend, she frowns. “I like the other guy better.”

FOR THE FIRST TIME I come across an article in the popular press that challenges the accepted narrative. A professor of psychology and psychiatry named Carl Hart says the heroin public health crisis is a myth. He claims the attorney general is overstating the problem. The commonly cited metrics are insufficient and misleading: the number of people who have tried heroin doesn’t tell you how many people have dependency issues.

Back