• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Chat Thread Smidger: RIP, internet acquaintance

If anyone is dealing with substance abuse/addiction issues, please get help. Even if you may not think so, many people care about you and depend on you. We all want you to get well.

Not having an firsthand experience dealing with opioid addictions, I'm ignorant how one can have an addiction like that and simultaneously carry on a reasonably normal life. Like, Smidger had a job, posted on the boards, etc -- that surprises me. Are any of you other fuckers addicted to opioids?

I recently read an article where a woman was trying to piece together the final months/years of her ex-husband's life. He was a successful high-profile lawyer... and a hard drug addict.
I suppose it's the similar to people's ability to be high-functioning alcoholics... it's just so much more difficult to catch because the activity itself is done privately. You don't meet your friends at the bar to shoot heroine, but you would be in people's view as you threw back drink after drink to where they might get concerned.

I imagine as long as you can go 8 hours through the day and get a daily fix at night you can hide it fairly well. But fuck no, with my addictive personality if I ever tried a drug stronger than pot (which I don't like) I'd be an addict instantly.

Given your life choices, I am really shocked that you never did blow.

I recently read an article where a woman was trying to piece together the final months/years of her ex-husband's life. He was a successful high-profile lawyer... and a hard drug addict.
I suppose it's the similar to people's ability to be high-functioning alcoholics... it's just so much more difficult to catch because the activity itself is done privately. You don't meet your friends at the bar to shoot heroine, but you would be in people's view as you threw back drink after drink to where they might get concerned.

For all intent and purposes I am a high functioning alcoholic, as I imagine many people on the boards are. I probably average 30-45 beers/week.

For all intent and purposes I am a high functioning alcoholic, as I imagine many people on the boards are. I probably average 30-45 beers/week.

Are most of those on Friday-Sunday or are you drinking 4-6 beers a day 7 days a week?

Are most of those on Friday-Sunday or are you drinking 4-6 beers a day 7 days a week?

4-6 a day. 8 at the most but not often. 8 will get me feeling it the next day, and on the 1 day a week I don't drink, I always am a million times more productive the next day at work. Although I started drinking tea at work a few years ago which made me much more productive overall, before that I had no caffeine and I struggled.

If anyone is dealing with substance abuse/addiction issues, please get help. Even if you may not think so, many people care about you and depend on you. We all want you to get well.

Same goes for suicidal ideation/thoughts.

Please stop trying to fight it alone.

There are people who will listen.

4-6 a day. 8 at the most but not often. 8 will get me feeling it the next day, and on the 1 day a week I don't drink, I always am a million times more productive the next day at work. Although I started drinking tea at work a few years ago which made me much more productive overall, before that I had no caffeine and I struggled.

That's quiet a bit of booze for a dude your size, bro.

To answer the reps, I'm 36, and yeah, strangely when I was smoking I stayed small, but as soon as I stopped and ate like a normal human being, that's where #fatplama comes in. Now that I quit again and starting to get close to 200, considering cutting back big time.

The big question is I really like drinking when going out to dinner/darts. Presumably if I just cut back on the weekday drinking it'd be a more manageable 2/3 days. But I'm unsure whether I can train myself to just go 2/3, as I'd probably be more inclined to just go out every day during the week.

But man the smoking/drinking cancer stats are scary

To answer the reps, I'm 36, and yeah, strangely when I was smoking I stayed small, but as soon as I stopped and ate like a normal human being, that's where #fatplama comes in. Now that I quit again and starting to get close to 200, considering cutting back big time.

The big question is I really like drinking when going out to dinner/darts. Presumably if I just cut back on the weekday drinking it'd be a more manageable 2/3 days. But I'm unsure whether I can train myself to just go 2/3, as I'd probably be more inclined to just go out every day during the week.

But man the smoking/drinking cancer stats are scary

Smoking, drinking, playing poker and darts, living in Vegas and LA and no coke...wow...

Addiction is a horrible disease and I'm sorry we lost smidge who posted just a day before we lost him.

RIP

Jesus. So this is why we only get Real Sheep like once every 3 years.

Jesus. So this is why we only get Real Sheep like once every 3 years.

Interesting thing I learned yesterday: I'd need to drink double what I currently do (75 drinks per week) in order to be in the 90th percentile. So there's that.

Back