• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Chat Thread Summer: Breaking the Summer Wind !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
my folks spend the summers in Chicago so I see them a bunch and tell my dad I love him every ten minutes

I think I’ll let him beat me in pickleball and call that his gift

my dad is also very much not that dad that is into brown liquor or war history or bad shirts from Columbia (he is into other bad shirts though) etc

I’m getting my dad some fishing gear. He got rid of his when he left Virginia but they live on a lake so I figure he can fish with my son when we visit.

I do the phone call pretty much universally for birthdays, fathers days etc. No need for cards or shit like that. My next goal would be a Christmas truce but that might be a bit too far.
One of my biggest regrets is that I threw out all the cards my dad sent me after reading them. He was always really good about writing notes in there. Now that he is gone, I really wish I had kept those cards.

Also voicemail, be sure to keep any nice voicemails your parents leave you. You are going to want them when they are gone.

I never did "I love you" with the old man -- maybe twice in 35 years post being a baby/kid, but he's been big on it since my stepbro died unexpectedly. Which makes sense, I guess.

My old man isn’t easy either. Maybe some camping or grilling/tailgating/smoker gear but he has it all or buys it. Also doesn’t do the “I love you” thing.

What was the first emotionally available generation of adults? Millennials?

my dad is my hardest family member to shop for and his birthday and father's day are 2-3 weeks apart

brutal for gift shopping (though it does allow for some combining into a larger gifts)

any good father's day ideas??
this is exactly my dad including the bday

I like the library kit.

"Dad can I borrow this book?"

"Yes, but note the due date."

My old man isn’t easy either. Maybe some camping or grilling/tailgating/smoker gear but he has it all or buys it. Also doesn’t do the “I love you” thing.

What was the first emotionally available generation of adults? Millennials?
my dad, too. I usually buy him coffee or like a Patagonia shirt or something.

Not much better than getting hammered in foreign countries and then laughing at the really shitfaced American couple (not us) who are yelling at each other and the dad is walking down an alley with the pizza box tucked under his arm.

Just made me look up Venice pizza places. Happy to see that Pizza al Volo still exists. That was my jam.

Not much better than getting hammered in foreign countries and then laughing at the really shitfaced American couple (not us) who are yelling at each other and the dad is walking down an alley with the pizza box tucked under his arm.
if you take off your Kirby visor you'll look less like a tourist

for his birthday i did get him a wake shirt from homefield so the boards has at least helped for this dilemma in 2023

One idea I’ll share…something I was given and think was a great gift …get an old photo or several laser engraved onto wood.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back