• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Chat Thread: Where RJKarl is everyone's professional reference

Status
Not open for further replies.
Also def had to do a double take and make sure the Large Hadron Collider hadn't gone off again and switched us into another multiverse where it has always been spelled Berentsain.

what is your favorite book to teach?

More a novella, but I love teaching Kafka’s metamorphosis. I show clips of Office Space with it and teach existentialism and the absurdity of modern life with it. 5 characters in search of an exit ties in to it well. It’s a good time.

That, and The Things They Carried.

Sounds like the wife is about to get an exciting new job offer based on a final interview today. We're pumped. It's significantly more than she's currently making, but the number they've quoted her is 10-15% or lower than what a quick search on Glassdoor yields as the average base pay for the role.

How do I convince her that she 100% needs to counter offer, and ease her fears that she'll piss the company off and miss out on what seems to be a perfect fit in a niche industry?

More a novella, but I love teaching Kafka’s metamorphosis. I show clips of Office Space with it and teach existentialism and the absurdity of modern life with it. 5 characters in search of an exit ties in to it well. It’s a good time.

That, and The Things They Carried.

When I was in high school, nothing fucked me up more than The Trial (until I got to Kundera and Sartre). Fits in really well with the general sense of teenage angst and feeling that everything is unjust.

Sounds like the wife is about to get an exciting new job offer based on a final interview today. We're pumped. It's significantly more than she's currently making, but the number they've quoted her is 10-15% or lower than what a quick search on Glassdoor yields as the average base pay for the role.

How do I convince her that she 100% needs to counter offer, and ease her fears that she'll piss the company off and miss out on what seems to be a perfect fit in a niche industry?

Get rj to write a personal reference. Boom! 20% increase in offer!

When I was in high school, nothing fucked me up more than The Trial (until I got to Kundera and Sartre). Fits in really well with the general sense of teenage angst and feeling that everything is unjust.
Kundera really fucked me up too, but fortunately I didn't discover him till college

Did you ever read any Camus? Some of my kids really dig The Stranger.

Show her that a part of the gender pay gap is because women are hesitant to negotiate and companies take advantage of that. And because bonuses and raises are often % based, a higher starting salary will have compounding future benefits.

https://www.monster.com/career-advice/article/salary-negotiation-gender-wage-gap

If glassdoor is accurate, I bet if she counter offers at 30% more, they'll meet her in the middle.

I think Things Fall Apart was the most depressing high school read for me

didn't get into the Russians until post-college

I'm sure this is just #biffhumor I'm missing, but GlassDoor and the like can be extremely helpful salary negotiation tools.

keep in mind the averages are based on reported salaries, which can be an extremely narrow pool

Kundera really fucked me up too, but fortunately I didn't discover him till college

I gave my younger sister my copy of Unbearable Lightness of Being when I graduated high school along with my CD collection (which I'm pretty sure largely was made up of mixes of questionable quality, probably some Phish soundboards and the Beatles discography). She never really forgave me for Unbearable Lightness, said it threw her into a deep depression that lasted months.

Did you ever read any Camus? Some of my kids really dig The Stranger.

Yea we read Camus around the same time as Kafka. For whatever reason that didn't ever bother me. Maybe my favorite thing we read in high school was Bartleby the Scrivener. Really connected with me as a stoner/slacker.

I gave my younger sister my copy of Unbearable Lightness of Being when I graduated high school along with my CD collection (which I'm pretty sure largely was made up of mixes of questionable quality, probably some Phish soundboards and the Beatles discography). She never really forgave me for Unbearable Lightness, said it threw her into a deep depression that lasted months.

I feel this. Book of Laughter and Forgetting and Unbearable Lightness are both some serious shit. I love them, but they seep into your bones and kind of settle there. Tough to shake.

Yea we read Camus around the same time as Kafka. For whatever reason that didn't ever bother me. Maybe my favorite thing we read in high school was Bartleby the Scrivener. Really connected with me as a stoner/slacker.

nice

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back