• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Chat Thread: Windy’s the pirate pilot of this Chat, if he gets with the ultraviolet dream.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think phones and the internet have killed children's imaginations and society in general

You'll not be surprised to learn my kits are all neatly bagged and labeled with instruction booklets. Unfortunately they are all generic 90s sets and nothing the kids these days want. Maybe collectors

Had a big old bin of hand-me-down blocks for the creative builds. Couldn't bring myself to dump the kits in the big box
Collectors is where it’s at.

I think phones and the internet have killed children's imaginations and society in general
like on the subject of imagination, I just spent like 2 days in my favorite place ever, but when I got back and read this review, it pretty much detailed out everything I experienced, so I coulda like skipped it in hindsight.

I kinda feel the same about potentially visiting like Lake Como/Amalfi coast or switzerland, etc. Ya can kinda see it without doing it nowadays

I've been thinking a lot about the conversation from a few weeks ago (involving LBE and some others) about whether or not kids these days have diminished opportunities for imagination.

I think LBE's point, if I remember correctly, is that their opportunities just come differently.

My putting together a sick Darth Vader LEGO from six different other kits was an imaginative experience a kid today probably wouldn't have because you can simply buy a pre-designed Vader with a realistic costume and lightsaber. But I guess LBE would say that the kids can still invent stories and stuff
They have access to more ideas at the tips of their fingers than we had... but I also think that comes with a diminished ability to imagine after a certain point. We had to IMAGINE what an electric car would be. Now kids make a Tesla. That said, the imaginative engineering process would still be the same to get the thing to look how it looks in your head. Your example would be the opposite, kind of - the engineering is taken care of with the kit, but they could still imagine and act out story lines with what they make.

We don't have many licensed toys in our house but I have seen all kinds of objects in our home be Paw Patrol characters, princesses, 'bad guy criminals,' etc. Imagination is alive and well.

I've been thinking a lot about the conversation from a few weeks ago (involving LBE and some others) about whether or not kids these days have diminished opportunities for imagination.

I think LBE's point, if I remember correctly, is that their opportunities just come differently.

My putting together a sick Darth Vader LEGO from six different other kits was an imaginative experience a kid today probably wouldn't have because you can simply buy a pre-designed Vader with a realistic costume and lightsaber. But I guess LBE would say that the kids can still invent stories and stuff
I think kids today can build their own virtual Darth Vader in Road Blocks or in MindCraft. The opportunities for imagination are there but different than what we had and that is sometimes ok.

I do believe that licensed Lego products were great for their business, but bad for their play experience.

This is the one Lego set I always wanted

6544-1.jpg

yah I remember the neon ones and stuff as a kid as well. either way, I'd prolly be interested if ya actually wanted to part with any of it

If my black knights castle is complete I’d probably sell it to you. Not that I don’t want my kids to build it but the dogs will fuck up some legos. I think Lego Elsa found that out the hard way at one point.

So the lady that cuts my hair does a good job and is reasonably inexpensive, but she doesn’t do appointments and it’s just her, so you can show up and either sit right down for a cut or have to wait over an hour as I’m currently doing. I know there are trade offs but I tend to always end up waiting and I think it’s time I start to look around again. Especially when the thread is dead.

So the lady that cuts my hair does a good job and is reasonably inexpensive, but she doesn’t do appointments and it’s just her, so you can show up and either sit right down for a cut or have to wait over an hour as I’m currently doing. I know there are trade offs but I tend to always end up waiting and I think it’s time I start to look around again. Especially when the thread is dead.

How does she look?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back