• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Chat Thread World Championships - Darling it's better down where it's wetter

Status
Not open for further replies.
But serious question - are Kaplan tutors equipped to help someone with a LD?

No. I worked for Kaplan teaching the MCAT. I am telling y'all, working hard with the books on your own is better than paying for that.

Why not take it, see how you do with your own prep and retake if necessary?

But then I just got a wild phone call from a dude trying to track down his ex in hopes of getting in touch with their biological daughter they gave up for adoption 20+ years ago, who graduated at 18 from Stanford and is now at Duke. And his ex works/is in PhD Library school here, and tried to track him down a couple of years ago and sent him pics of the daughter, but he has since changed phone numbers, and lives in bumfuck Va, and doesn't do technology, and just between him and me, he and the ex were young and her father was a preacher, so he thinks she was pressured to give up the daughter, but he gets it because he could never have taken care of the girl, and his ex is married now, and he's not trying to do anything but track down the daughter, and and and and...whew.

Not sure if the George Karl lost wallet phone call was better or this one.

Well, did you help him?!

Well, did you help him?!

I gave him the publicly listed campus office phone number of the ex, so nothing he couldn't have found out himself, but he didn't seem all that bright, to be honest. I was a little wary of doing even that, but figured it was probably cool. He wanted me to track down the daughter, but I was all "I think that is up to the kid(?)" I did a little research on my own and couldn't find her because the first name he gave me was a nickname or could have been spelled in a million different ways. I might try to do a little more snooping to satisfy my own curiosity.

Last edited:

These are not homeless people.

3892D03B00000578-0-image-a-18_1474328365574.jpg

But serious question - are Kaplan tutors equipped to help someone with a LD?

There are classroom tutors and 1 on 1 tutors, and most centers in a major city will have enough staff to have tutors with enough training to accommodate most learning needs.

I got certified to teach dyslexia, for example, over a long weekend of training.

There are classroom tutors and 1 on 1 tutors, and most centers in a major city will have enough staff to have tutors with enough training to accommodate most learning needs.

I got certified to teach dyslexia, for example, over a long weekend of training.

Here's the thing: W-S is not a major city. I did 1 on 1 tutoring for the SAT and Classroom and 1 on1 for MCAT. None of us had any additional training. I highly doubt that has changed.

Here's the thing: W-S is not a major city. I did 1 on 1 tutoring for the SAT and Classroom and 1 on1 for MCAT. None of us had any additional training. I highly doubt that has changed.

I'm not going to sit here and shill for Kaplan, but I worked in Winston when they paid to get me certified to tutor certain learning disabilities, and I was only part time. That center and most others can flex full time teachers from other cities or universities to help with individual needs. And your idea that she can teach herself would be fine if she didn't already say she's not good at teaching herself. I'm not even arguing that Kaplan is the best solution, but I think some 1 on 1 help might be.

I'm trying to set up one more camping trip for October. Also recently brought home my sister's old backpacking pack so maybe I'll try something besides car camping for the first time. I need to learn how to build a good fire though.

I'm trying to set up one more camping trip for October. Also recently brought home my sister's old backpacking pack so maybe I'll try something besides car camping for the first time. I need to learn how to build a good fire though.

The secret is gasoline.

gotta get your totin' chip before you can be in charge of campfires

It's all about good tinder. Start with something like a cotton ball coated in Vaseline and then build up your fire starting with twigs, then a little larger sticks, etc. Make sure you give it plenty of oxygen.

So Mrs. Diggler and I just got back from New York.
1) Adele was a really good show
2) we didn't get tickets in the Hamilton lottery so spent Sunday afternoon watching football which was better anyway I'm sure.
3) I like those "Manhattan mini-storage" ads that say things like, "sure, move to the suburbs. Bigger closets for you to store your shattered dreams in" and "yeah, YOU'LL fit right in in Connecticut."
4) Le Bernardin is not overrated, but is overpriced
5) Craft was delicious
6) the 9/11 memorial is so beautiful

We were in a hotel about 8 blocks from the bombing, so that was not cool, but the locals all handled it well. All in all great trip.

I proposed an NYC trip yesterday, I haven't been in a while and I kind of really want to see Oh, Hello. The problem is that the only good weekend might be the one before Christmas, when crowds (and prices) are probably the worst.

It's all about good tinder. Start with something like a cotton ball coated in Vaseline and then build up your fire starting with twigs, then a little larger sticks, etc. Make sure you give it plenty of oxygen.

That sounds very sexual.

I gave him the publicly listed campus office phone number of the ex, so nothing he couldn't have found out himself, but he didn't seem all that bright, to be honest. I was a little wary of doing even that, but figured it was probably cool. He wanted me to track down the daughter, but I was all "I think that is up to the kid(?)" I did a little research on my own and couldn't find her because the first name he gave me was a nickname or could have been spelled in a million different ways. I might try to do a little more snooping to satisfy my own curiosity.

The guy was Brad Pitt, wasn't it

I know the general theory of campfire building, but I've always gone with folks who like to make the fires. But I figure I shouldn't try to camp alone or be in charge of organizing a trip until I'm sure I can make one. Or I guess camping doesn't require a fire, though I think it's the best part. The crush guy said often when he's backpacking there isn't much sitting around a fire chatting, because folks are beat from a day of hiking. Just cook over a camp stove and sleep.

I still have my Kelty pack from scouts that has held up great for backpacking, but got a couple smaller hiking packs from wifey's new company that are perfect for car camping/hiking trips. (Cool to see her company's stuff at REI last time we were there too, as an aside.)

Excited to have graduated now from the Walmart tent that Deacfan2009's mom bought us for camping out for Wake basketball/football seats freshman year at Wake. That tent served us well for college and beyond. It was there for the great campout before the Trent Strickland reverse dunk miss duke game, went to Bonnaroo and other music festivals up and down the east coast, got peed in by WakeTheUniverse. I think it's time to retire it.

I have a nice bag and ground pad so it'll be good to camp right now instead of just bringing a shitload of blankets like we have done in recent trips.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back