• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Chat Thread Yamato: sunk in a thousand feet of water

Status
Not open for further replies.

So what is the plan, store them somewhere else until they are 18? I was just trying to solve the storage problem until then - assuming your determination not to have them in your house was based on a fear of accident...

I used to wander around my grandparents' farm in central Texas with a .22 starting when I was probably 8 or 9. Though some of that was probably for my own safety with all the critters that were out there.

i did too, though I'm not sure I would let my daughter do that now. different times.

I'll show her how to handle a rifle, though, if she's interested.

I did shit my parents didn't want me to do all my life, why's it gotta be any different during death. Lie to make things easier and then go ahead and do what you want, like everything else.

So what is the plan, store them somewhere else until they are 18? I was just trying to solve the storage problem until then - assuming your determination not to have them in your house was based on a fear of accident...

It's not fear of an accident, it's that I don't want them in my house, period. And my brother can't have them in his house. So yes, I will have to store them somewhere else.

my grandpa and i shot squirrels off his back porch with .22s when i was a kid, dunno how young

squirrels were the bane of that dude's existence

he was in the army corps of engineers, and spent the last like ten years of his life trying to make the perfect anti-squirrel birdhouse

most states you have to be 18 to "possess" a long gun (rifle/shotgun). A few 16 or 21; montana as low as 14.

most states require 18 or 21 purchase long gun and hand gun

most states allow minors to legally hunt with a license when with a guardian/chaperone. In PA, the minimum age is 7

I'm pretty sure age of possession of long guns has been left to the states to decide (so it varies), but federal law set hand gun ownership at 18 years old.

NRA must be asleep at the wheel with this egregious infringement on the second amendment.

So its a principle thing?

To some extent. I just don't feel comfortable with guns in my house, disabled or not.

I know how to safely handle a firearm, I will teach my kids gun safety because I can't guarantee they won't encounter one, but I don't have even one molecule in my being that wants to have a gun in my home.

More flight questions! I can get a ticket to/from Greensboro, but layover both ways and half the trip on an airline for which I don't have a card

OR

Fly direct, all on my cards' airline, but have to drive to CLT and it's $100 more

(both versions times are fine, though from GSO could miss maybe an hour or two less of work)

GSO is a much easier airport to deal with. are your layovers in CLT?

Layover in ATL on the way there (Delta) and CLT way back (American).

Hmm, I might just go CLT instead, if the added time driving and cost aren't huge factors.

Yeah, kind of leaning that way. Just so against my nature to choose a more expensive option.

I like flying out of GSO.

The drive to CLT isn't bad, but when you have to drive back after spending all day on planes and just want to get home, it's soul crushing.

my grandpa and i shot squirrels off his back porch with .22s when i was a kid, dunno how young

squirrels were the bane of that dude's existence

he was in the army corps of engineers, and spent the last like ten years of his life trying to make the perfect anti-squirrel birdhouse

are we cousins or something? sounds like you're describing my paternal grandfather. he had some electrified cables set up to try and deter the squirrels.

I agree in general- always better to just be able to get home (or to work in my case) but since it's direct the flight that morning is just over 2 hours so not too awful.

More flight questions! I can get a ticket to/from Greensboro, but layover both ways and half the trip on an airline for which I don't have a card

OR

Fly direct, all on my cards' airline, but have to drive to CLT and it's $100 more

(both versions times are fine, though from GSO could miss maybe an hour or two less of work)

I don't have any airline cards so I don't know how miles or points work; what you'd be giving up by not using your airline. a special lounge?

I usually pay up to $100 more to fly from Greensboro versus CLT or RDU, so with it being cheaper, I'd choose GSO. The Charlotte flights being direct is a perk, but you'd mostly sacrifice that gained time by having to drive to Charlotte.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back