• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

ChatThreadCXVIII: the more flesh color a carrot is, the more likely it is your finger

Status
Not open for further replies.
oh- also, i love that portland is very 'live and let live.' people really don't question what others are doing unless it's harmful. also, people seem more genuinely accepting. people in the south are very, very nice... but then immediately turn around and talk shit once you're gone. people here are more reserved at first, but then if they like you, they really like you.

Hmm I use granular probably once a day at work but in a douchey business lingo type of way. Unless I am a hipster. Ain't that sonic?

Whoa guys just watched the Blacklist, pretty freaking monte.

Hmm I use granular probably once a day at work but in a douchey business lingo type of way. Unless I am a hipster. Ain't that sonic?

Yeahhhh... I also drop granular 3-5x a week. It's just basic programmer vs. project manager language

OREGON PROS: summer weather, proximity to great snowboarding, outdoors opportunities, great city culture, still rural areas outside of the city (but an easy commute in), food, beer, wine.
OREGON CONS: rain, far from family.

NC PROS: family and friends, WFU/NCSU, the beach, mild winters, sunshine, asheville, thunderstorms
NC CONS: humid as hell, bad snow, mosquitoes, hurricanes, backasswards politics

things both have that neither help nor hurt: nationally recognized universities (though NC does have an advantage on those, IMO), inability to deal with winter weather in the city.

You're overstating the bad snow in NC and understating the oppressive Portland rain. Also, as you have already admitted, NC higher education pwns Oregon imo. Three top 30 universities/colleges (sry nc state) within 150 miles of each other, plus elite liberal arts schools like Davidson etc.

oh- also, i love that portland is very 'live and let live.' people really don't question what others are doing unless it's harmful. also, people seem more genuinely accepting. people in the south are very, very nice... but then immediately turn around and talk shit once you're gone. people here are more reserved at first, but then if they like you, they really like you.

Canadians

what does bad snow mean? it snows like once a year in nc. bad snow is like dc/philly where it dumps a bunch of snow that gets all dirty and stuff and can't really be used for anything fun because aren't that many hills.

I say that, but do believe that NC has better schools. Not enough for that to be a big NC advantage, though.

WAT?

NC State is ahead of Oregon U. and Oregon state in US news rankings.

I get that it's not the best measure of colleges/universities, but that still says a lot.

You're overstating the bad snow in NC and understating the oppressive Portland rain. Also, as you have already admitted, NC higher education pwns Oregon imo. Three top 30 universities/colleges (sry nc state) within 150 miles of each other, plus elite liberal arts schools like Davidson etc.

Maybe that's true now, but by the time I have kids that are old enough to go to college that probably won't be true. Furthermore, the k-12 nc public schools blow and are getting worse, so unless I get a way better job and can afford private school this is a way bigger issue than the colleges imo.

Maybe that's true now, but by the time I have kids that are old enough to go to college that probably won't be true. Furthermore, the k-12 nc public schools blow and are getting worse, so unless I get a way better job and can afford private school this is a way bigger issue than the colleges imo.

That's just speculation. I can't defend NC k-12, but NC's higher education is in a much better place than Oregon IMO. Wake, Duke, and Davidson don't depend on the state all that much do they?

what does bad snow mean? it snows like once a year in nc. bad snow is like dc/philly where it dumps a bunch of snow that gets all dirty and stuff and can't really be used for anything fun because aren't that many hills.

i mean on mountains for snowboarding. the worst day up here is better than the best day there.

WAT?

NC State is ahead of Oregon U. and Oregon state in US news rankings.

I get that it's not the best measure of colleges/universities, but that still says a lot.

again, NC has better schools, but not enough for that to be a big NC advantage. at this stage in my life (no kids yet), it's not a huge factor in my NC/OR +/- list.

Real talk: Oregon State and Oregon are pretty ho hum as far as big state schools go. That's why I said almost any state with a state university is going to be on par with Oregon, in that regard.

The small lib arts schools matter less to me since a) you won't get in-state tuition there, and b) if you don't get in-state tuition, you may as well look nationally. Those good lib arts schools pop all over, too, so I'm not sure it makes Oregon special. Reed College is pretty boss though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back