• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Chicago Cubs Thread - Playoff Push Pending

I don't really get that comment. Strasburg starts Game 3 on Wednesday, and the Nats have won 16 straight games that he has started.

Series sets up as well as possible for the Nats as Arrieta and Lester won't pitch for the Cubs, while Scherzer and Strasburg pitch for the Nats.

Agree to disagree; maybe just my Wake fan pessimism showing through.

Good win in a series being managed and played like a playoff series. Almora is impressive and will get to enjoy being 'the man' in tonight's victory celebration. His performance is reminiscent of Schwarber's first appearance last year.

Good win in a series being managed and played like a playoff series. Almora is impressive and will get to enjoy being 'the man' in tonight's victory celebration. His performance is reminiscent of Schwarber's first appearance last year.

I would pull the reigns back on the Schwarber comparisons for now - Almora is a stud in the field, but his bat and plate discipline has a lot of question marks - Schwarber was a professional hitter coming up.

I like Almora, and hope he sticks and can carve out a Kiermaier type role - but I am still pessimistic that he sticks for the rest of the year.

On to extra innings. Harper should have been rung up twice but the ump failed to make the K call twice so he walks and scores to tie the game in the bottom of nine. Playoff game in June.

Cubs lose to the Nationals in 12 innings 5-4. Cub bullpen implodes and is unable to protect a lead. Both teams refused to quit and kept battling back in what the Nats announcers described as the best game of the year.

Good move to call up Contreras. He has nothing more to prove at Iowa and will benefit having Ross and Montero as mentors. Maybe provide some timely hitting as well.

Cubs called up Zagunis and Candelario to AAA.

Zagunis has hit well and looks like he could be a solid COF - gap power, not huge homer potential, but he can walk and get the bat on the ball. Candelario has struggled this year, so seems like a weird call-up, unless it is Rule 5 related and they don't want him in the Minor league draft - not sure the corresponding moves.

I think Zagunis, Candelario and Corey Black were promoted to Iowa because they are being considered by the Yankees as part of a trade for Miller and/or Chapman. The Yanks would like to get Baez, Almora, Soler, Contreras or Schwarber as part of a package. I don't think Theo is willing unless it is one for one. However, Vogelbach, Zagunis, Candelario, Black (Yankees bemoaned his departure for Soriano) or any other minor leaguer can be considered. Throw in Szczur or LaStella as well. The Yanks need an infusion of youth. The Cub farm system is the place to look. If they want some experienced bats Coughlan and Murton are available. The Yankees have a history of taking top prospects from the farm system of their competitors in return for one coveted player. It may be time to do so again. Just an opinion.

Cubs bounce back from the disappointing loss to the Nationals by defeating the Pirates 6-0. Arrieta secures his eleventh win with six innings of two hit shutout pitching. Cahill, Wood and Grimm supply three innings of scoreless relief. Almora with 3 hits and 2 RBI and Szczur with a two run HR propel the offense. Pirate pitching contributes 11 walks. Wilson Contreras made his MLB debut by catching the ninth inning. He apparently knew what to say to Grimm when he was struggling on the mound. The result was a K to end the game. Wilson gave the home plate ump an introductory handshake and smile prior to the start of the inning. Rookies.

Back