• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Chicago Cubs Thread - Playoff Push Pending

Welcome back Coghs!

Just purchased my tickets to Cubs-Rangers up at Wrigley on July 16th. It will be first time up there in three years.

So pumped. I'll definitely be getting a Dexter jersey.

Just a guess. Cogs had gone all in for Maddon and the Cubs. He had resurrected his career and had been a vital cog in last years team. Enters this season looking for a championship. Fowler returns unexpectedly, Cogs is the odd man out and is off to Oakland. Players aren't machines and a change like that can play with your head and diminish performance. Cubs could use a LH hitting outfielder. The fact that Coghlan is willing to play anywhere just increases his value. I imagine the fact the Cubs came back to trade for him and bring him 'home' will clear his head and boost his confidence and performance. I'm glad he's back.

Just a guess. Cogs had gone all in for Maddon and the Cubs. He had resurrected his career and had been a vital cog in last years team. Enters this season looking for a championship. Fowler returns unexpectedly, Cogs is the odd man out and is off to Oakland. Players aren't machines and a change like that can play with your head and diminish performance. Cubs could use a LH hitting outfielder. The fact that Coghlan is willing to play anywhere just increases his value. I imagine the fact the Cubs came back to trade for him and bring him 'home' will clear his head and boost his confidence and performance. I'm glad he's back.

I get that Alcantara had to be moved or he was going to have to be released at the end of the year - but I hate getting a guy back that now has to stick on the 25 man roster and while Cogs did well the last couple of years here, he also had 4 clunkers in Miami and is having a terrible season so far - its a low risk trade since Mendy was going nowhere, still. Same thing will likely happen with Christian Villanueva. Will see where that goes.

Just think, 2 years ago there was a trade in the works of Alex Gordon for Mendy that I'm pretty sure the Cubs backed out of - too bad he decided to suck since then.

That's why I don't pay attention to trade rumors. If the front office turned down a straight up Gordon-Alcantara trade they made a mistake. Hindsight. Like you said, it's a low risk trade. If Coghlan doesn't contribute he'll be released. If he plays like he has as a Cub, the bench improves. Alcantara wasn't going to be a contributor this year and I doubt he was a part of the long range plans.

Tommy LaStella was placed on the 15 day DL with a right hamstring strain. Coghlan will replace him on the roster. Federowicz survives again.

Mendy is blocked, same with Vilanueva, same with Vogelbach and they are all going to be rule 5 eligible. I still would have waited.

Also, we suck.

Going to watch the game today and see Arrieta pitch. I'm very psyched for this game.

Cubs bounce back and beat the Braves 8-2. Heyward, Rizzo, Bryant and Montero with home runs. Every Cub starter gets a hit led by Heyward with three. Arrieta gets his tenth win with an efficient seven inning, four hit and two run effort. Only negative was three errors.

Arrieta looked good, not swing and miss stuff, but efficient and the location was good. And the cubs scored more than 2 runs for him.

Sounds like you had a good time bym, or should have

Yeah, had a great time there. Turner Field is a nice place, but it's a shame they put it out in the middle of nowhere.

Cool to see Arietta hit so well. There were LOTS of Cubbies there.

'A shot like that taint no fun'. Can't believe they just said that on live air. And then they repeated it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Glad you enjoyed yourself bym. It's always more fun when your team wins.

Almora looks as good as his press clippings on D. Maybe better.

Predictions for the series starting tonight against the Nats? I was at Wrigley for the 4-game sweep last month. If Scherzer doesn't win tonight, it could be another sweep.

Predictions for the series starting tonight against the Nats? I was at Wrigley for the 4-game sweep last month. If Scherzer doesn't win tonight, it could be another sweep.

I don't really get that comment. Strasburg starts Game 3 on Wednesday, and the Nats have won 16 straight games that he has started.

Series sets up as well as possible for the Nats as Arrieta and Lester won't pitch for the Cubs, while Scherzer and Strasburg pitch for the Nats.

Yep, gonna be a tough series - cubs are going to have at least one clunker out of three - I would be extremely happy to take 2.

Watching Grimm in relief of Hendricks. I don't recall him throwing the curve as often as he has recently. Given his recent outings, I wonder if that is a reason for his reduced effectiveness.

Scherzer was throwing a lot if first pitch strikes and some hittable balls - this is where our patience at the plate hurts - it's what the mets did to us last year, getting into a lot of 0-1, 0-2 and 1-2 counts hurts

Scherzer was throwing a lot if first pitch strikes and some hittable balls - this is where our patience at the plate hurts - it's what the mets did to us last year, getting into a lot of 0-1, 0-2 and 1-2 counts hurts

True. If the opposing starter can throw strikes early in the count the Cubs have problems. They are either behind in the count or they are making quick outs and enabling the SP to go deeper in the game. They don't seem to hit well when they come out swinging.

Nice job by stropy getting out of the jam with only one run allowed. 6 more outs. Wood and rondon to close it down.

Back