• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Chicago Cubs Thread - Playoff Push Pending

Jay, Zobrist, Bryant and Rizzo enabled the Cards to experience some eighth inning disappointment. Good bounce back.

Bad matchup today -- flyballer Gonzalez benefited way more from the mighty wind blowing in than groundball machine Hendricks.

Plus the Sawx were due to actually win one and we were due to actually lose one. Let's get right back at it and win the rest and not make their season

Baez first Cub since 2008 (Lilly) to strike out 5 times in one game. Plate discipline!

Cubs beat the White Sox 7-2.

Baez was pathetic. Cub announcers debating what 5 K's in a game should be called. Pathetic works for me.

Rodon goes four innings for the Sox and sets a record by striking out eleven Cubs. Seventeen Cub strike outs of the 24 outs made.

Wilson Contreras enjoys hitting cleanup.

I don't recall a pitcher loading the bases by hitting 3 batters in the same inning. Thank you John Lackey.

Hargrave or whatever the umps name was atrocious today - for both sides, but the Cubs who are notorious pitch takers got the shit end of the stick a bunch. Kris Bryant getting ejected over balls and strikes kinda sums it up (granted he was made to look silly on a couple rodon sliders too).

Cubs scouts apparently all over the Tigers & Verlanders start - really hoping its for Avila. I know we can afford $28 million in 2018 & 2019, but do we really want $70+ million in 2018 tied up among JHey and mid 30-somethings Lester & Verlander?

Cubs scouts apparently all over the Tigers & Verlanders start - really hoping its for Avila. I know we can afford $28 million in 2018 & 2019, but do we really want $70+ million in 2018 tied up among JHey and mid 30-somethings Lester & Verlander?

Is Verlander still dating Kate Upton? This matters.

Is Verlander still dating Kate Upton? This matters.

Yep. From the rumors, sounds like no one else is really that interested, imagine Theo is low balling and just see what happens. Cubs supposedly out on Avila and Lucroy, leaning more towards a defensive backup like AJ Ellis or Rivera from the Mets - both of which make a lot more sense. Why would Avila or Lucroy want to come here and be second fiddle? Wouldn't mind Ellis, good clubhouse guy, great game caller, terrible bat.

An amazing stat courtesy of the White Sox announcers Steve Stone and Ken Harrelson. Post All Star game records in MLB since 2015 the Cubs are 110-50, 60 games over .500. The Blue Jays have the second best record at 29 games over .500.

An amazing stat courtesy of the White Sox announcers Steve Stone and Ken Harrelson. Post All Star game records in MLB since 2015 the Cubs are 110-50, 60 games over .500. The Blue Jays have the second best record at 29 games over .500.

*sniff, sniff*

Stone and Carey in the afternoon was a big part of my childhood because my dad basically had the game on every afternoon during the summers. Was even more excited when I moved to Nashville in 1989 and still had WGN.

Stone and Carey in the afternoon was a big part of my childhood because my dad basically had the game on every afternoon during the summers. Was even more excited when I moved to Nashville in 1989 and still had WGN.

Same here. I lamented the addition of Thom Brennamen. Cubs always hit better with Stone and Harry in the box.

No.

Same. Moved to Nashville in 1980. Stone and Carey were great. Back when drinking while calling games wasn't frowned upon.

Same. Moved to Nashville in 1980. Stone and Carey were great. Back when drinking while calling games wasn't frowned upon.

Stone and Carey were fun, especially extra inning games.

I was surprised how complimentary of the Cubs the crew was last night. Begrudging admiration and respect for a job well done.

Man, our offense has gone ice cold in miller park. Pitching still looking good, though, sounds like Hendricks first couple innings were rocky but he settled in. Rumors still swirling that Cubs are extremely active on Sonny Gray - I just don't know what we have to give up unless someone like Almora is included, even then would take him plus 2, maybe 3 prospects. Guess we'll see.

I spent the night in Fenway, forgot how awesome and terrible that stadium is. Great game too.

Back