• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Chicago Cubs Thread - Playoff Push Pending

Maddon keeps restating that the active roster is off limits as trade bait. Imagine that could change if the deal was sweet enough but at this time of year buyers are supposed to pay.

The Brewers impressed me early in the year and they aren't showing any tendency to back off.

Looking at tix for when my Natties come to town next weekend; get-in price is $60+

It was only a few years ago where I'd walk up the day of the game and get in for $3...

Maddon is aggravated by 17 strikeouts last night and Tuesday afternoon. He doesn't like the approach the team is taking at the plate and won't allow it to jeopardize the good post all-star start Coincidently, Baez, Schwarber and Happ have joined an ailing Rizzo on the bench for today's game. I don't recall Joe voicing his displeasure with the press but I'm glad he is making this an issue. Drives me crazy.

Schwarber did pinch hit today.

It was a beautiful day for baseball. Nice to take 2/3 in Milwaukee.

78ca5b6cb9c75cd4207e495bfae4dcc6.jpg

Cubs selling the rest of the farm for tiggers reliever Justin Wilson - lefty but not a loogy, controllable through 2018. Nothing finalized, but sounds like Candelario plus 2 more.

Eh, whatever, I'm ok with it, damn the torpedos.

Edited to add - looks like Avilas in the deal too, so it will be another top prospect, not that we have any of those left.

Second player so far is Isaac Paredes - 18 year old single A SS. Just cracked the cubs top 10 list at midseason - lots of upside with his bat.

Candelario was blocked for at least three years, barring a major injury, because he can only play CIF. Parades is a blow because there is a thought he could grow into a Gleyber type player - but he's an 18 year old single A guy, tough to get mad over giving that up.

Wilson has the stuff that could end up with him as our closer next year if wade walks.

A decent trade. Having another quality LHP in the bullpen is a plus and it allows Montgomery to move to the rotation for spot starts and still have two lefties in the bullpen. Avilas fills the need for a veteran catcher and allows Caratini to get the PT to develop in Iowa prior to his return in September. Grimm probably gets to visit Iowa for a month as well.

Maddon might want to send a memo to Avilas regarding his approach at the plate. His strikeout rate this year will make Baez look patient.

Okay, packing bags for the games on Wednesday and Thursday. I assume at some point I will bump into JuiceCrew and all of his midwestern bros at the Cubby Bear, will give him his MAGA hat then.

Other than that, any gameday recs from the OGB?

Weather permitting, arrive early for batting practice.

Avila and Wilson arrive in Chicago and replace Caratini and Grimm. Dylan Floro DFA to make room on the 40 man roster. FWIW, Brett Anderson was released by the Cubs. So much for that free agent acquisition.

There are no Top 100 prospects in the farm system. There are nine former Top 100 Cub prospects (2 pitchers, 7 position players) on the active roster. All have arrived since 2014 or later. All but Ian Happ have championship rings.

Klaw said Alzolay would be around 60 if he made his now, cupboard is bare-ish, but not miserable. There are some decent arms - and some fringy young hitters.

Lester only goes 4 innings in blowout win. Any issue?

His control was way off, pitch count was super high - lots of Ks, lots of walks - they wanted him to go 5, I would assume bringing him back out in the 5th at like 93 pitches, but he was running 8+ pitch counts to a lot of people. The first batter was a 12 pitch strikeout.

I'm assuming its nothing bad, he just didnt have it yesterday, and I dont think they wanted to work him too hard - and there is a chance he could have blown it in the fifth.

Weather permitting, arrive early for batting practice.

Avila and Wilson arrive in Chicago and replace Caratini and Grimm. Dylan Floro DFA to make room on the 40 man roster. FWIW, Brett Anderson was released by the Cubs. So much for that free agent acquisition.

There are no Top 100 prospects in the farm system. There are nine former Top 100 Cub prospects (2 pitchers, 7 position players) on the active roster. All have arrived since 2014 or later. All but Ian Happ have championship rings.
Weather not permitting. Just pulled the tarp off. Radar is clean. Arrieta for second year in a row. Last year I was good luck for him. #vibes

Random: last two games I went to, a Cub has hit two bombs (KB last year). Was planning on going last night but plans moved back a day. Rizzo went yard twice. I am not telling you how to invest your money, but there's still time for a prop bet.

Last edited:
Weather not permitting. Just pulled the tarp off. Radar is clean. Arrieta for second year in a row. Last year I was good luck for him. #vibes

Random: last two games I went to, a Cub has hit two bombs (KB last year). Was planning on going last night but plans moved back a day. Rizzo went yard twice. I am not telling you how to invest your money, but there's still time for a prop bet.

And just like that, #jhmdwasrightagain. This time Wilson Contreras. Eerie how prescient.

Back