• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Chicago Cubs Thread - Playoff Push Pending

I think it's safe to say Hendricks has lost whatever it was he had. He's not a bad pitcher or anything, he just isn't a good/great one either. #4 / #5 starter stuff.

Hendricks depends on pinpoint control for success. Getting ahead in the count is essential. Much of the season he has not had command at the beginning of the game, hence his first inning struggles. When he has early command it can desert him, especially if he makes the final out of the inning.

Good win today. Kauffman stadium is neat, but a nightmare to get out of when you’re relying on Uber / taxis and even worse when it’s raining.

Hamels has been the only reliable starter over the past two weeks - 10-9 since the break, starting staff with an ERA over 5.50. Baez is basically carrying the team right now - Happ is in a crazy funk, its like he is scared to swing early in counts, he got squeezed on a couple pitches the last few days, but he is striking out waaaaaaaaay too much.

Hamels has been the only reliable starter over the past two weeks - 10-9 since the break, starting staff with an ERA over 5.50. Baez is basically carrying the team right now - Happ is in a crazy funk, its like he is scared to swing early in counts, he got squeezed on a couple pitches the last few days, but he is striking out waaaaaaaaay too much.

Happ was booed relentlessly last night.

By Cubs fans.

Zobrist has been good too, but you are right. Baez has been one of the few bright spots since the break.

Zobrist, Baez, Rizzo and Heyward are producing runs. LaStella and Bote contributing in limited roles. Contreras has decent numbers but his run production has been missing all season. Almora, Russell, Schwarber and Caratini scuffling since the break. Happ needs some bench time. The table is getting set but clutch is at a premium. Zobrist should play everyday but age limits. Baez is in full bloom. Every phase of the game except OBP is on another level and he is playing three positions. MVP.

It's all about the pitching and the decisions made by Captain Hook.

Radical idea - KBoom seems out for awhile, hasn't been able to swing, Happ is looking iffy, Bote is some people's rockstar, but is due for a regression - thoughts on bringing back Donaldson for the stretch run? Can't imagine it would take much in terms of prospects, probably just eating salary. Insurance on Bryant being out longer, moves Javy back to the middle, puts Zo back on his rotation.

Dunno, was just a thought - saw he expected back in the next week or so.

Nice job by the bullpen today. Hendricks with a quality start. Strop with another save as closer. Edwards with a shutdown eighth with two on and no outs. This was CJ's first appearance against the Nationals this year. They owned him last year.

I legitimately woke up the whole house last night when he hit that. Was such a struggle of a game - Hamels looked so good the whole game, then Kintzler was just trash (I'm starting to dislike this guy - he also refuses to dance in the bullpen for HRs) - I thought there were some decent ABs against Scherzer, he just had so many out pitches.

I turned it off when the Natties scored 2 in the 9th to go up 3. Bad move. Cubs didn't have much offense in that series. Definitely not playing great baseball right now.

I turned it off when the Natties scored 2 in the 9th to go up 3. Bad move. Cubs didn't have much offense in that series. Definitely not playing great baseball right now.

Two freebie base runners via hit by pitch came back to haunt Nats bullpen. Grand slam for Cubbies by a batter who probably wouldn't have even reached the plate except for two HBP in the ninth inning.

Glad to see Rizzo hitting clean up. Maybe Baez will follow. Players who drive in runs need players on base.

Back