• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Chicago Cubs Thread - Playoff Push Pending

The only official word on Morrow is that he is not expected back until September. Certainly not encouraging.

Mills threw strikes and did well this afternoon. He may have earned another start if Montgomery is delayed in his return.

Heading to the day game today, won't get in early enough to see the rest of yesterday's game unless it goes to like the 14th.

Also heading to soldier field tomorrow night, not that any of you bros are bears fans, but haven't been to a bears home game since the UFO was dropped on top, pretty excited to see a bunch of 4th stringers play.

And thus begins a lot of games vs. a lot of really good teams. Hope the starting pitching keeps it up -- Mills' outing today aside -- and we can avoid a nervy last couple weeks

The Cardinals will be there for the duration. Maybe the Brewers. The solution is simple. Play great. Win games.

I tend to think the Brewers are more sustainable, but the Cards have gotten quite the lift this year from their new starters (and canning Matheny)

I think Cardinals/Brewers will battle it out the rest of the year and finish within a game or two of each other. Cubs win division by 5+ games.

And thus begins a lot of games vs. a lot of really good teams. Hope the starting pitching keeps it up -- Mills' outing today aside -- and we can avoid a nervy last couple weeks

I havent checked, but assume Mills will stay up in the pen for September call-ups and the Cubs will move back to the 5 man rotation with Monty back healthy.

Looking forward to the craziness that will be our lineups once KB and Addy come back - at this point, benching Murphy is going to be tough, and I am hoping (the last game aside) we stop trotting Caratini out there, he has not looked comfortable at all at the plate this year, I know Willy needs a break, but man he is tough to watch. Same exact think for La Stella, he has been rendered useless with Bote playing so well.

Just DO NOT WANT to see the Cards in the first round

Braves, to me, are the team to avoid in the NLDS. Although if the Cards do get in they continued their hot run and will certainly have some confidence.

Current NL playoffs would be:

Cubs v. Braves
Diamondbacks v. Brewers/Cards (WC)

I just don't like going up against a rival who knows us very well. Especially in a short series, especially as the favorite.

Cubs v. Braves

Nah, we'd get the wild card as the best record in the league. They don't separate based on the division of the Wild Card anymore -- hence possibility of Yanks-Red Sox in the first round (which hasn't been talked about as much as I would've thought)

I just don't like going up against a rival who knows us very well. Especially in a short series, especially as the favorite.

Nah, we'd get the wild card as the best record in the league. They don't separate based on the division of the Wild Card anymore -- hence possibility of Yanks-Red Sox in the first round (which hasn't been talked about as much as I would've thought)

Yeah you're right - I should've remembered that because of the Cubs-Pirates-Cards cluster from a few years ago.

Murphy allows Addy time to heal his hand, still damaged from earlier in the season. Caratini is no Contreras, but Wilson does look tired. I expect Maddon will use the off days in September to max time off for Wilson and Javy.

No off days for a while though. Our next one is two weeks from today, and every team we play between then and now is .500 at worst

That's the problem. Without Russell, the middle D is lacking if Baez is out. No range from the replacements. Javy will wait. Contreras has to rest every fourth or fifth day until the off days when Joe can get him two days for one game. The tanks close to empty and the demands of the position make a refill difficult.

Braves, to me, are the team to avoid in the NLDS. Although if the Cards do get in they continued their hot run and will certainly have some confidence.

Cubs v. Braves

Get that this team is the first to 80 wins in the NL and everything, but I'm not sure I buy them doing well in the playoffs. Pitching staff does not generate a ton of strikeouts. Offense does generate a lot of runs but can be very streaky. I think the Braves could be the team to beat. Solid offense and a staff that can put up Ks with the best of them.

Get that this team is the first to 80 wins in the NL and everything, but I'm not sure I buy them doing well in the playoffs. Pitching staff does not generate a ton of strikeouts. Offense does generate a lot of runs but can be very streaky. I think the Braves could be the team to beat. Solid offense and a staff that can put up Ks with the best of them.

Starting pitching certainly a concern, but over the course of the season the Cubs have shown to be the best team in the NL. The playoffs are going to be very exciting this year on both sides.

Javy Baez has joined the 30 home run, 100 RBI in a season club. He's beginning to fulfill his potential. MVP.

Back