• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Chicago Cubs Thread - Playoff Push Pending

Normally I'd love Cole Hamels comments, BUT little wary about them if we see Milwaukee in the NLDS

I still don't get what Bryant was thinking, he was in front of the bag, you throw home 100 times out of 100 there, get the automatic out, let your pitcher get the next one - and, while probably as unlikely, Contreras probably has a better shot getting Yelich if Bryants throw is quick. I am guessing he just didn't remember who was running.

Rough loss.

Bote's a good defender, he should carve out a career for himself if he can keep his bat at league average - lots of positional flexibility.

Besides, we'll need him next year after we move Russell and Almora to make room for Bryce.

Bote is Maddon's next Zobrist.

Baez is in his fifth season in the bigs. What year does he become eligible for free agent status?

Javy is under control for 4 more years. Rizzo for 3. Bryant 4, Russell for 4, Schwarbs 4, Hendricks 3, Willy 5.

Is Murphy a free agent after this season? I could see the Cubs moving Russell and moving Baez to short.

Pitching and defense give the Cubs a much needed win. Russell's D in the ninth a good play then a great play. Hope it adds some juice to the bats.

Murphy is a free agent.

Would assume Murphy is not going to be signed back unless no one else goes after him. He's a great addition to the team this year because the bats were slumping when he came in. But with his defense, he needs to OPS at .900 to be a valuable part of the team, and he hasn't been doing that the past couple of weeks.

I am still all in on trading Addy and Almora for whatever we can get, sign Harper, move JHey to center. Have an infield of Riz, Baez, Bryant and a rotation at 2nd of Happ/Bote/Zobs/TLS. Its easy - and we don't sacrifice defense really at any position - maybe Center, but JHey in center is no worse than Happ out there. We either pick up the option on Hamels (preferably) or go with our internal options at the 5 spot - Lester is back, and he isn't Jon Lester anymore, but he's good enough, Hendricks, Q, Yu all back - with MiMo still on the roster if he isn't traded too, and Drew Smyly. Pen should be fine with only losing Wilson and midseason pickups Chavez and De La Rosa. Would assume Stropy has his option picked up, Morrow is back, Kintzler is back (unfortunately), CJ still here, Chatwood (unfortunately) - with the shuttle of Maples, Bass, Rosario, Mekkes all getting shots to fill the other 2-3 or so positions unless they want to upgrade here.

Q and Hendricks have both pitched well the last month or so and starting to look like their old selves. Pitching and defense wins championships - with a healthy Riz/Bryant and potentially Harper, this team would come back as the likely favorites in the NL next year.

I get you like Harper, but where is the desire to unload Alomora and Russell coming from? Both are outstanding defenders and have shown ability on offense. Contreras Baez, Russell and Almora is elite defense up the middle.

Agree completely regarding Murphy. Hamels is a must sign option at one year to complete a rotation with Lester, Hendricks, Quintana and Darvish.

Chavez and De La Rosa are performing like grizzled vets with their best shot to win a ring and with no intention of blowing the opportunity.

I get you like Harper, but where is the desire to unload Alomora and Russell coming from? Both are outstanding defenders and have shown ability on offense. Contreras Baez, Russell and Almora is elite defense up the middle.

Agree completely regarding Murphy. Hamels is a must sign option at one year to complete a rotation with Lester, Hendricks, Quintana and Darvish.

Chavez and De La Rosa are performing like grizzled vets with their best shot to win a ring and with no intention of blowing the opportunity.

Well, Almora goes cause there is nowhere to play him, and he's slow, doesn't walk and isn't a very good offensive player. No need to keep him on a defensive replacement when we could get anything for him. Russell needs to go to make room for other players - and there is still a chance we can get ok value for him. It's just about the roster - if we have 12 offensive players, Riz/Bryant/Zobs/Baez/Schwarbs/Willy/JHey/Backup Catcher are locks leaves 1 OF starter and 1 IF starter and 3 bench players with Bote/Almora/Happ/Russell/Caratini/TLS. IF we add Harper as the OF starter - those 6 players are vying for 4 spots, so you move 2. Moving TLS gives you nothing, and hes a decent PH - I mean, I dont care if he goes versus Al, but I think we can get something back for Almora right now. Other than that, Russell has more value than Bote in the open market, and the Cubs love Happ because he can play IF and OF as like a baby Zobs.

If Hamels is resigned, would think they look at moving Monty in the offseason too - just because he wants to be a starter (proven he can) and he likely wouldn't start ahead of our other 5 - also has value (more than when we traded for him).

Its just a thought - but this team as designed is good, not great. Can they get hot and win it all? Sure. Would they be better with Harper? Yep. Can they afford Harper? Meh, maybe. If they don't get Harper will they definitely not win the Central next year? Defs not, but I think that would set them up for 3-4 more years of potential, especially if they can move Russell, Al and Monty for young pitching.

Almora has been terrible since the all-star break. Russell still has trade value.

Sooo, Strop now hurt? To whom does Madden look to fill that role?

Committee until Morrow comes back - Wilson has looked great, Chavez has regressed a little since he first month, but could still fill the role. Cishek too. CJ is a ton of strugglebus right now, he has the best stuff hands down, but his location has been atrocious the last 2+ months.

Also, Strop had a couple of blown saves, but has been lights out the last couple of months.

We should get to see Allen Webster or the latest Iowa closer, Dakota Mekkes, get some run over the next couple of weeks

I think it's safe to say Hendricks has lost whatever it was he had. He's not a bad pitcher or anything, he just isn't a good/great one either. #4 / #5 starter stuff.

This post didn't age well. All he has done since the start that prompted this tweet is pitch 50 innings, give up 13 ER (2.34 ERA over 8 starts), go at least 7 innings 3 times, only give up 2 HR (had given up 20 in the previous 130 innings) and the Cubs have gone 6-2 in those 8 starts.

Not sure what changed, but glad it did.

Back