• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Chicago Cubs Thread - Playoff Push Pending

Morel has been surprising - didn't really expect him to start as well as he has. He now has more ABs in the pros than he did in AAA. Probably SSS, but I like his swing, his mentality, flexibility - really great add, hopefully can continue and be a fixture for the next wave.

Also, was great to see Swarmer up, even though it likely should have been Kilian. He gave up a couple HRs, but wind was blowing out. He was a career minor leaguer guy, 19th round pick in 2016 - had shown flashes, was Cubs minor league pitcher of the year a few years back, but kept getting lit up at AAA, until this year. Not sure what his long term potential is, but it wasn't a bad start - I think he's mainly a funky delivery /2 pitch guy, so long relief might end up being the best role for him, but his slider plays well.

Morel has been surprising - didn't really expect him to start as well as he has. He now has more ABs in the pros than he did in AAA. Probably SSS, but I like his swing, his mentality, flexibility - really great add, hopefully can continue and be a fixture for the next wave.

Also, was great to see Swarmer up, even though it likely should have been Kilian. He gave up a couple HRs, but wind was blowing out. He was a career minor leaguer guy, 19th round pick in 2016 - had shown flashes, was Cubs minor league pitcher of the year a few years back, but kept getting lit up at AAA, until this year. Not sure what his long term potential is, but it wasn't a bad start - I think he's mainly a funky delivery /2 pitch guy, so long relief might end up being the best role for him, but his slider plays well.

The Cubs brought up Swarmer and Espinoza and Morel and Velazquez in part bc all those guys are already on the 40 man roster. That is also part of the calculus for why Kilian has yet to be brought up. I think we are going to see a fairly active trade window btw and the Cubs will not be taking 40 man guys from other teams as readily as they did last trade window when a few of the minor leaguers they received were already 40 man guys (including Canario - who I think may be trade bait as a result of his status).

Morel will stick if he continues to produce offensively. He has the ability to play anywhere on the field. Velazquez looks to get a few days to show his skills with Suzuki and Heyward injured. Swarmer could see another start as well.

Nick Madrigal activated today. Cubs will be able to put their opening day infield in the lineup. Andrelton Simmons is so good defensively I expect to see him play a lot. His arm has diminished but is sufficient and he makes tough plays look easy. Madrigal needs to hit to maintain starter status.

Morel will stick if he continues to produce offensively. He has the ability to play anywhere on the field. Velazquez looks to get a few days to show his skills with Suzuki and Heyward injured. Swarmer could see another start as well.

Nick Madrigal activated today. Cubs will be able to put their opening day infield in the lineup. Andrelton Simmons is so good defensively I expect to see him play a lot. His arm has diminished but is sufficient and he makes tough plays look easy. Madrigal needs to hit to maintain starter status.

Its hard to explain how bad Simba is at the plate. His defense does not outweigh his complete ineptitude on offense - we should just be getting anyone else PT to see what happens. Simba can come in late innings a defensive replacement or pinch runner or something. Mads should take 100000000% ABs at 2B/DH so he can get his swing back - he's pulling the ball too much this year, trying to add power and its leading to a ton of rolled over ground outs to the left side.

The Cubs brought up Swarmer and Espinoza and Morel and Velazquez in part bc all those guys are already on the 40 man roster. That is also part of the calculus for why Kilian has yet to be brought up. I think we are going to see a fairly active trade window btw and the Cubs will not be taking 40 man guys from other teams as readily as they did last trade window when a few of the minor leaguers they received were already 40 man guys (including Canario - who I think may be trade bait as a result of his status).

Eh, you are most likely correct - but there are 4 or 5 guys on the 40 man that are expendable if they don't pan out in the next month or so to be trade candidates - including JHey. So, if it requires taking on a 40 man guy, not sure the Cubs would care about cutting a Mark Leiter or Daniel Norris or Sean Newcomb or something.

Eh, you are most likely correct - but there are 4 or 5 guys on the 40 man that are expendable if they don't pan out in the next month or so to be trade candidates - including JHey. So, if it requires taking on a 40 man guy, not sure the Cubs would care about cutting a Mark Leiter or Daniel Norris or Sean Newcomb or something.

I think the Cubs will care deeply about cutting any 40 man guy when they can just wait 3-4 weeks, make a trade and call Kilian up then. JHey will be hard to trade unless you mean pretty much give away.

DJ Herz tonight gave up a 2 strike double to start the game. The next guy then popped up a bunt on the first pitch. Then Herz struck out 8 in a row before someone hit a lazy fly ball to CF on a 2 strike count. Then he struck out 3 more in a row before some guy lined out to 1st. Then he hit a guy in the foot on a 2 strike count before striking out the next guy.

5 IP, 1 H, 0 BB, 12 K on like 75 pitches.

DJ Herz tonight gave up a 2 strike double to start the game. The next guy then popped up a bunt on the first pitch. Then Herz struck out 8 in a row before someone hit a lazy fly ball to CF on a 2 strike count. Then he struck out 3 more in a row before some guy lined out to 1st. Then he hit a guy in the foot on a 2 strike count before striking out the next guy.

5 IP, 1 H, 0 BB, 12 K on like 75 pitches.

https://www.bleachernation.com/cubs...ew-one-of-the-most-dominant-outings-in-years/

Stroman 9 earned runs in 4 innings yesterday. 5.32 ERA so far. Not good from the primary notable off-season acquisition

Swarmer and Killian pitched well yesterday and probably earned another start. I'm glad to see the youngsters get opportunities.

Morel has been a joy to watch. Unafraid and having fun playing a game. He has been a catalyst for the improved play of the team.

Injuries have given Ortega a chance to play everyday and he is hitting. Schwindel is showing some life.

Contreras arbitration hearing coming soon. Perfect time for the front office to make him their best long term offer. Catchers with his ability and leadership are rare. Pay him or regret it.

Glad to see Higgins step up when needed. Gives Contreras the rest and DH opportunities to stay sharp.

Kilian sent back down to Iowa, likely until there is a real spot in the rotation. Right now, they are rolling with Hendo, Stroman, Steele, Thompson and Swarmer. Kilian is next man up if there is an injury, but also have Miley likely coming back later this week, which will see either Swarmer sent back to iowa or Keegan moved back to the swing role. And then when Smyly is back will see the other option happen.

I think Stroman will be fine, hes a professional pitcher - and along with Hendricks will be the stop gaps between this team and the next competitive window, which I hope will see Steele, Thompson and Kilian as the other options.

Miley and Smyly will almost assuredly be moved before the deadline as long as they don't blow up. Trending towards Contreras being moved too - which is dumb, but guess the Cubs see him as a 31 year old catcher in 2023 and likely will have to pay for his peak seasons while they are still rebuilding. Also should see any pen pieced moved that someone wants - Robertson might get a good return - Givens maybe too. Not sure the other movable options - Hendricks is possible, but given how bad his numbers look this year, they might have to give him away, and that seems like a bad idea with his very reasonable contract. Happ is possible, but would take a bigger prospect load than most would want to give for him - but his value is pretty strong, as this is one of his best season so far, switch hitter that can play all 3 OF spots and 2B in a pinch, OBP hovering around .375. With the Davis injury, their timeline of needing to move an OF is pushed out, so there is no reason to rush to move Happ, still have room on the 2023 team for him in the OF, with Seiya/Morel/Ortega.

Swarmer and Killian pitched well yesterday and probably earned another start. I'm glad to see the youngsters get opportunities.

Morel has been a joy to watch. Unafraid and having fun playing a game. He has been a catalyst for the improved play of the team.

Injuries have given Ortega a chance to play everyday and he is hitting. Schwindel is showing some life.

Contreras arbitration hearing coming soon. Perfect time for the front office to make him their best long term offer. Catchers with his ability and leadership are rare. Pay him or regret it.

Glad to see Higgins step up when needed. Gives Contreras the rest and DH opportunities to stay sharp.

Contreras and his agents met with the Cubs a while ago and asked for something along the lines of 6 years 130M. That is not very likely not happening. Also read one GM said the Cubs will 100% sign one of the big FA shortstops this offseason (which would make extending Willy even more unlikely as I would guess the Cubs would be in on at least one good SP as well). Also have to think the Cubs could get a good return on Willy in a trade (like why sign him if you can sign a top SS and get a return on him in the form of prospect(s)).

Kilian sent back down to Iowa, likely until there is a real spot in the rotation. Right now, they are rolling with Hendo, Stroman, Steele, Thompson and Swarmer. Kilian is next man up if there is an injury, but also have Miley likely coming back later this week, which will see either Swarmer sent back to iowa or Keegan moved back to the swing role. And then when Smyly is back will see the other option happen.

I think Stroman will be fine, hes a professional pitcher - and along with Hendricks will be the stop gaps between this team and the next competitive window, which I hope will see Steele, Thompson and Kilian as the other options.

Miley and Smyly will almost assuredly be moved before the deadline as long as they don't blow up. Trending towards Contreras being moved too - which is dumb, but guess the Cubs see him as a 31 year old catcher in 2023 and likely will have to pay for his peak seasons while they are still rebuilding. Also should see any pen pieced moved that someone wants - Robertson might get a good return - Givens maybe too. Not sure the other movable options - Hendricks is possible, but given how bad his numbers look this year, they might have to give him away, and that seems like a bad idea with his very reasonable contract. Happ is possible, but would take a bigger prospect load than most would want to give for him - but his value is pretty strong, as this is one of his best season so far, switch hitter that can play all 3 OF spots and 2B in a pinch, OBP hovering around .375. With the Davis injury, their timeline of needing to move an OF is pushed out, so there is no reason to rush to move Happ, still have room on the 2023 team for him in the OF, with Seiya/Morel/Ortega.

See my post above on Willy. Fundamentally why would you extend him at anything approaching his demand when you can trade him, get a return and then sign one of the top FA shortstops plus other FA. In short, signing him eats up capital when you have other options at premium positions of need anyway. I could also see the Cubs moving Hendricks FWIW although their MO so far seems to be not to move guys when they have more rope on their contract and they did get solid returns on the trades last year as a precedent for things working out.

Finally, Caissie is the MiLB player of the month for May. Triantos continues to push his BA up and is showing some more gap power (smoked a triple yesterday). Alcantara is a stone cold beast - just go twitter up his game from yesterday (HR and bases clearing double). Pinango had 3 HR's this past series (great development to his game that could push him from a bench piece to an everyday caliber OF). PCA also hit his first HR at South Bend (huge shot to dead CF) yesterday. Finally, BJ Murray and Matt Mervis are having monster years. Murray is at A- ball and is avg. age for the league. He needs to move. Mervis has just killed it all year. On the bump the Cubs just need to stop pretending on both Manny and DJ Herz at A+ ball and promote them. There's zero left for either to work on/prove. Very frustrating bc IMO nothing good happens holding them down.

I agree. He is the team leader now and seems to have a good rapport with the pitching staff. He's a good hitting catcher, which doesn't come along every day. Good players will eventually need to get paid. Cubs unloaded several already. I think they will regret it if they don't sign him.

See my post above on Willy. Fundamentally why would you extend him at anything approaching his demand when you can trade him, get a return and then sign one of the top FA shortstops plus other FA. In short, signing him eats up capital when you have other options at premium positions of need anyway. I could also see the Cubs moving Hendricks FWIW although their MO so far seems to be not to move guys when they have more rope on their contract and they did get solid returns on the trades last year as a precedent for things working out.

Finally, Caissie is the MiLB player of the month for May. Triantos continues to push his BA up and is showing some more gap power (smoked a triple yesterday). Alcantara is a stone cold beast - just go twitter up his game from yesterday (HR and bases clearing double). Pinango had 3 HR's this past series (great development to his game that could push him from a bench piece to an everyday caliber OF). PCA also hit his first HR at South Bend (huge shot to dead CF) yesterday. Finally, BJ Murray and Matt Mervis are having monster years. Murray is at A- ball and is avg. age for the league. He needs to move. Mervis has just killed it all year. On the bump the Cubs just need to stop pretending on both Manny and DJ Herz at A+ ball and promote them. There's zero left for either to work on/prove. Very frustrating bc IMO nothing good happens holding them down.

Money isn't really an issue, though. Not like signing Willy will impact them getting Correa. I mean, sure, maybe they dont want to have a $170-$180 million payroll in 2023 when they will still likely be a 70-75 win team, but JHey comes off in 2024 - and a competitive Cubs team should be in the $150-$200+ million range on their payroll. They still won't be approaching the luxury tax thresholds.

Your point about the contract is legit - he isn't getting Realmuto money from the Cubs or anyone. Could he get the 4/$80 deal like Perez got? From someone, likely. And if the cubs backload it a bit, that isnt an unreasonable ask.

I dont think signing Willy takes them out of the SP market either. They aren't going all in on DeGrom if he hits the market - but that next wave of SPs has some good pitchers that can be had and fit in, especially with already having $40 million committed to the top 2 guys.

Adding to the above, if there is a trade out there that nets the Cubs something great in return, they have to take it - but if that doesn't materialize, I don't think you take "best offer" for him instead of resigning him. Obviously, its not my money, so almost guarantee they will take the best offer, just venting.

That JHey contract can't expire soon enough. What a puzzling decline he had. I thought he would be a great acquisition.

I value Contreras more than the prior players that have left. Catchers are a separate category and Wilson still has upside with the DH providing him 500-600 plate appearances, as long as a second viable catcher is available to give him rest behind the plate. I was OK with the departure of everyone else. They wanted stupid money to resign and none of them came close to their asking price on the open market. Contreras reminds me of Maddox, someone truly special because his best is still to come. The proper approach with Maddox was "put your request in writing" and then sign on without question. The Cardinals didn't make a mistake with Molina, the Cubs shouldn't with Contreras. If they do, the Cardinals might reach deep in their pockets for him.

Back