• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Chicago Cubs Thread - Playoff Push Pending

Big win today. Brew Crew was on the verge of putting the division away.

Not for nothing but the 2023 Cubs are playing meaningful baseball and Rizzo, Baez, and Bryant are not. Not spiking the ball or anything other than pointing out that management wasn't totally crazy.

Let's seal this deal in the afternoon game. High leverage spot coming up with Elly here in a minute.

Got the afternoon W. Wicks was impressive again.

Alzolay blew the save in the nightcap. I worry he will wilt this month. This is his first year in the bullpen and his 55 relief appearances are a career high by a large measure. His pitches aren't as crisp and they look more hittable. Hotovy and Ross might need a plan B. Fullmer and Shane Green (new call up) have experience and some success as a closer.

I did not like Madrigal pinch hitting for Morel late. I understand the thinking, but Morel has come thru late in the clutch on several occasions this year.

Alzolay has had 2-3 shaky appearances in a row, although he did come back in the final Brewers game and retire the side after the HBP. Might need to sit him games 3-4 v Reds. interesting pitching plan in game 2

Kudos to Ross for getting his starters an extra day of rest via Thursday off day. Cubs will play for 12 consecutive days after completing a 13 game, 13 day stretch. I'd be happy if they can duplicate the 9-4 record from the previous marathon.

Cubs wash the taste out of their mouths from the past two games with a 15-7 win. Daniel Palencia serves as a good luck charm once again. He is 5-0 and all five wins are the "come from behind" variety. The flight out west for a three team, 10 game road trip should prove more enjoyable.

Let's hope the bats have life again. Over the previous six games only six runs have been scored.

Last edited:
^^^Cubs are home today (and the next two) vs. the Giants and for the next 4 game series vs. Arizona.

Schedule sets up pretty well the remainder of the year IMO save they do have three vs. Atlanta towards the end of this mos (who may not care as much by then).

Justin Steele was just money today. 8 innings, no runs, 2 hits, 2 walks, 12 strikeouts. 5-0 win. Suzuki with a HR, a double and 3 RBI. Dansby with an RBI double (starting to come out of the funk).

ETA - He has got to be in the Cy Young conversation now. 2nd in ERA In the majors. Great run since the break. 16 wins.

Last edited:
Blake Snell - 12W - 9L; 2.50 ERA; 155 IP; 201 K; 1.252 WHIP; 89 BB; 4.6 WAR (Baseball-Reference)

Justin Steele - 16W - 3L; 2.55 ERA; 150 IP; 152 IP; 156 K; 1.17 WHIP; 33 BB; 3.5 WAR (WHIP and WAR are prior to today’s win)

Hard for me to see how Snell is the clear favorite right now. Steele has won 7 straight starts. Steele has the better WHIP, comparable ERA, WAR is going to be close If Steele keeps this up.

^^^Cubs are home today (and the next two) vs. the Giants and for the next 4 game series vs. Arizona.

Schedule sets up pretty well the remainder of the year IMO save they do have three vs. Atlanta towards the end of this mos (who may not care as much by then).

Must have had a senior moment.

Steele is my Cy Young award winner. He has been money all season. Assad has been money since July. Hendricks is solid. I trust these three to perform well down the stretch. Wicks solid in 2 starts. I'll gladly take one run in five innings every five days for the balance of the year. If these four stay solid the Central division championship is possible. No trust in Taillon or Smyley.

One is also pitching in meaningful games on a playoff team, and the other is leading a high payroll dumpster fire.
I recall the MVP debate in the AL from a couple of years back. A sizable portion of folks were on the Vlad Jr. train even as Shohei was having a historic season on the grounds the Blue Jays were a playoff team. I couldn’t buy into it. But in that case Shohei was just the clearly better player IMO. In this case it isn’t so clear. So I think it could be a factor. To me though it should be a distant factor. It is not Snell’s fault his team sucks. You can make a case for either guy here and I suspect if the Cubs make the playoffs and Steele keeps this up it will be Steele’s award.

Must have had a senior moment.

Steele is my Cy Young award winner. He has been money all season. Assad has been money since July. Hendricks is solid. I trust these three to perform well down the stretch. Wicks solid in 2 starts. I'll gladly take one run in five innings every five days for the balance of the year. If these four stay solid the Central division championship is possible. No trust in Taillon or Smyley.
Schedule for the Brewers the rest of the way is so woof. At least the Pirates have been playing well of late. Cubs need a Brewers cool down somewhere.

Also, if the Cubs and Reds end up tied in the standings the Reds have the tie breaker. Have to keep winning games.

I think Snell will probably end up winning it, but it definitely is a big plus that Steele is playing meaningful games for a playoff team and ballin' out while doing it.

Can't take the foot off the pedal yet, as there are just so many teams behind us that it's likely one of them will get hot. If we can run down Philly or Milwaukee that would be nice.

If you prefer the more results based bWAR for determining season awards that is fine but Wheeler and Strider should be in the discussion.

Back