• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Chicago Cubs Thread - Playoff Push Pending

Quite a recovery from 4-0 down in the 2nd, bases loaded, no outs.

This team has moxie in abundance.

Last edited:
3 game set vs Philly coming up. Of course hope to sweep. Maybe the Phils will leave Hamels in town as they leave?

Latest I am hearing is that the Cubs are moving away from the rental market for SP and looking at controllable again - and three names have been mentioned from the team, Cole Hamels, James Shields and Tyson Ross. Supposedly, anyone in the minors is available for trade - but I can't imagine McKinney or Torres go anywhere for less than some crazy package. Of the three, I would probably go Ross, Hamels then Shields, mainly because Ross would be almost as effective and his cost would allow the Cubs to go after another a bat, since he is Arb eligible for the next two years, and will probably only get $8-$12 both years with no long term effect.

Also, Javy is starting rehab today - really rooting for him to just crush the ball the next month and come up in September and be a super infield backup and bring some more pop to this lineup that still desperately needs it whenever Rizzo and Bryant are slumping.

3 game set vs Philly coming up. Of course hope to sweep. Maybe the Phils will leave Hamels in town as they leave?

Phils are 5-1 since the break - don't look now, but outside of their terrible pitching, the bats are coming alive. We need a sweep to keep up with the Giants after only going 4-3 versus the reds and bravos.

Still a pretty good road trip.

The Giants got hot after beating up on the Phillies and their 11-37 road record when they had 'em at home. Hopefully same will go for us

Also, all the Cubs AAAA players are crushing it in the minors - hoping that leads to upping their trade value or can continue if they get the callup:

Lake is OPSing over .900 and has 5 HR in his last 11 games
Szczur has been showing a lot more gap and real power this year in Iowa, with a 10% XBH, which is about 20% than anything has shown so far and could really help him stick as a 4th OF - he has good bat control and a good eye, if he can develop some decent power to go with his glove, he would be a solid addition to this team (or potentially in a trade) since he can play all 3 OF spots.
Mike Olt struggled coming back from his wrist injury, but is showing signs of life, OPSing at over .950 over his last 10 games and has started drawing walks again - you never know, he could be the next call-up - pop off the bench is needed.

Still a pretty good road trip.

The Giants got hot after beating up on the Phillies and their 11-37 road record when they had 'em at home. Hopefully same will go for us

For beginning of the season expectations, it was a great road trip - for the "We Are Good" and can make the playoffs belief, we needed to go 5-2 - we aren't catching the Cards, so we need to either outplay the Bucs down the stretch or play well enough to stave off the Giants and Mutts - doing that means feasting on the easy teams.

Going 4-3 on the road will be enough to hold off the Mets. I think we'll do that pretty easily anyway. The Giants could catch us but they've never been beasts of the regular season anyway.

And looking up, the Pirates just went 1-5 on a road trip and we're only 3 back of them -- no reason we couldn't chase them down. Just gotta be one of the top five

Chance to make up a little ground on St. Louis and Pittsburgh this weekend. St. Louis gets KC and Pitt gets Washington while we get the Phils.

The guy we traded for Montero was called up from AA to start for the Dbacks tonight - weird move.

Going 4-3 on the road will be enough to hold off the Mets. I think we'll do that pretty easily anyway. The Giants could catch us but they've never been beasts of the regular season anyway.

And looking up, the Pirates just went 1-5 on a road trip and we're only 3 back of them -- no reason we couldn't chase them down. Just gotta be one of the top five

The mets are going to get a bat at some point and if they can get any offense, they will make a move - the Harvey/DeGrom/Syndergaard/Matz rotation is way too good not to.

I love the deadline - there is a bunch of chatter about Mendy not being in the ICubs lineup today. Assuming just a rest day, but seeing so many people write/tweet about it makes it that much more interesting.

Motte blows the save in the ninth. Soriano gives up a 2 run HR in the tenth. Cubs lose 5-3. @#$%^&*!

I guess the Cubs were due for a 'disappointing' loss. I hate when a lead is blown in the ninth, but it is part of the game. FWIW, Clayton Richard has accepted an option to Iowa and will remain on the 40 man roster. Another possibility to start Tuesday. Wada is probably ready as well. Any other possibilities?

Cubs No-Hit Streak is getting kinda nervous right now.

I guess Cole Hamels wants to be a Cub?

Thinking we should not make any desperate moves and just wait and get another big arm in the off season. If something controllable comes along, we go for it, otherwise stay pat.

The only way we are going to win is if it current players get better.

Thinking we should not make any desperate moves and just wait and get another big arm in the off season. If something controllable comes along, we go for it, otherwise stay pat.

The only way we are going to win is if it current players get better.

Exactly. I believe this has been the management philosophy all year. The approach and process is to win championships by developing a team from within. There is an easily identified everyday lineup. A short but contributing bench. Four solid starters. A bullpen core that is expanding. These guys are playing for each other. Schwarber is playing his way in. There are a half dozen position players at Iowa who have failed in prior attempts to join the bigs, but remain viable prospects and have helped fill out the bench. Even a couple extra arms. Plenty of prospects below AAA. The chances of catching the Cards are slim for 2016. They are the better team. A wild card remains within reach, but don't give away the ranch to gain a one game playoff. Time is on our side.

Last edited:
Back