• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Chicago Cubs Thread - Playoff Push Pending

Cubs lose 11-5 and are swept at home by the Phillies. Colorado in town for three. This team has answered the bell all season. Will they continue?

Two iffy starts for Hammel since his injury vs the Redbirds (though his first outing was better than I remembered)

Two iffy starts for Hammel since his injury vs the Redbirds (though his first outing was better than I remembered)

Hoping the throw him on the DL, he is not the same pitcher.

Guessing they end up calling back Wada for tomorrows start and then replace Hammel with Beeler or Richards down the stretch unless the Hamels demands comes down (not likely, thanks cubs) or if the Pads eat a ton of Shields contract or give a decent option on Ross.

I would prefer not to kill the future for this year, when next year should be a better chance. Unless, there is some way to get, like, Carlos Gomez and a dominant #1A pitcher without sacrificing anything in the top 10 - which is highly unlikely. I mean, Cueto was had for a top 5 and two fringe top 15 prospects from the royals system. For that, the Cubs would have likely had to give up something like Carl Edwards or Gleyber Torres with/ Vogelbach and Pierce Johnson - which isn't terrible if they would take Edwards as the key piece (likely wouldn't happen with his struggles at AAA, but he is about the same prospect as Finnegan), but tough to swallow if it was Torres and losing an 18 year old that is raking in high A.

Cubs officially release EJax - $15 million gone. Someone is going to pick him up and I bet he pitches well down the stretch, a la 2011, and gets another decent contract next year.

Also, every rumor coming out of Cubs is that they are waiting to see what happens. They are the 3rd team on Hamels, the third team on Papelbon, they are the last mentioned on almost every option, but getting the feeling Theo is looking for a steal. I'm ok with that - as long as it isn't Ian Kennedy. No desire there.

Honestly, it won't happen, but I would love to see Shark dumped for nothing, come back to the Cubs and pitch lights out down the stretch. I am also a huge Shark homer, so there is that.

The Pale Hose are playing their way back into the Wild Card picture -- that last AL Wild Card is very much up for grabs. Not sure they'll even be sellers at this point

Cubs are trying to package a deal including Starlin Castro to the Pads for Tyson Ross and Will Venable. Gotta imagine they will need a bunch more here - maybe Mendy, Vogelbach, Johnson too? Would love to not include Torres or McKinney, but not sure that is possible for Ross.

Fingers crossed for good strop here - gets us to rondon then motte to close it out.

Two out of three ain't good enough.

Our pen done exploded. And now Soriano to save the day? Oy vey

Yeah, that one was easy to see from 1000 miles away

I had to run to another room - that was amazeballs.

We should still cut Soriano. Like yesterday. Dudes got nothing left.

[video]https://pbs.twimg.com/tweet_video/CLAae3eUkAIQZUu.mp4[/video]

Wish i could embed.

Also, Javy Baez is ready to return to Iowa and the roster is full - but, doesn't mean they have to trade someone like I have seen a lot of people saying. They they could send someone down to AA, but not sure who, Batista maybe, but that would be a huge step back for a 25 year old that dominated AA and is struggling in AAA. They could also just release Richard now that Wada is ready again.

So, completely spitballing, and not happening because the Pads want too much - but this would be amazing:

Pads give up:
Tyson Ross
Craig Kimbrel
Justin Upton

Cubs give up:
Javier Baez
Pierce Johnson
Dan Vogelbach
Billy McKinney

Losing McKinney would suck, but that would put us in great shape for this year and next - I know Kimbrel is making a shit ton, but for as good as our pen can be, we don't have a reliable closer. Not sure this would get it done, but its three top 100 prospects, two are MLB ready, the other two are less than 2 seasons away.

I'd release Richard. Low ceiling and not likely to be a long-term contributor. We can get plenty of guys out there like him for spot starts IMO.

So, completely spitballing, and not happening because the Pads want too much - but this would be amazing:

Pads give up:
Tyson Ross
Craig Kimbrel
Justin Upton

Cubs give up:
Javier Baez
Pierce Johnson
Dan Vogelbach
Billy McKinney

Losing McKinney would suck, but that would put us in great shape for this year and next - I know Kimbrel is making a shit ton, but for as good as our pen can be, we don't have a reliable closer. Not sure this would get it done, but its three top 100 prospects, two are MLB ready, the other two are less than 2 seasons away.

Jim Bowden just threw out Ross/Kimbrel for Castro/Edwards/Johnson/McKinney - ehhhhh, thats probably too much for me, 3 top 100 prospects and Castro, granted Castro may be a negative on this trade.

2015 Chicago Cubs Thread: 51-46 Woof

Jim Bowden just threw out Ross/Kimbrel for Castro/Edwards/Johnson/McKinney - ehhhhh, thats probably too much for me, 3 top 100 prospects and Castro, granted Castro may be a negative on this trade.

Do it. If not for this year, next year. We need a real closer and grabbing another #3-4 starter would be huge.

Starlin is a season away from being a surplus player and we are loaded with prospects. Both Ross and Kimbrel are still relatively young as well. They're value shouldn't decline much in the next couple seasons.

Back