• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Chicago Cubs Thread - Playoff Push Pending

Homestand salvager. 2-4 against Philly and the Rox is still pretty turrible, but never wanna do worse than that at the confines

Maddon wants to get Rizzo and Bryant some rest. Participation in All Star festivities denied them a four day break and he believes they are gassed. Might be time to recall Olt for a week and plug him into first and third. Teagarden back to Iowa. If Olt looks good keep him up.

Heyman reporting that any likely deal with the Pads will include Baez and not Castro. Castro got the vote of confidence from management - meaning most likely there are no takers.

Pierce Johnson is looking as good as ever after the injury now in AA - 9 starts, 5-0, 1.66 ERA, 9 ER in 49 innings, 39 Ks and 1 HR given up. His walks are still high, but he just had another 7 inning game last night, striking out 7 and only walking 2.

Definitely going to get some interest on the trade wire - and if he isnt traded, looks like he could be plugged into the starting 5 at some point towards the end of next year. He has dominated every level he has been at.

Apparently, the Cubs are interested in Carlos Gomez, but said to not have enough pitching prospects that the Brewcrew want. Womp womp.

Also, Cubs still being linked to David Price and Yovani Gallardo - I don't think in any world we have enough assets we are willing to give up to beat the Dodgers for Price. Gallardo is interesting if the Rangers are willing to ship him out for a steal, but that seems against everything I have heard that Theo is looking for since he is gone at the end of the season.

Also, Montero is lobbying to get the Cubs to activate him now, he said he is not 100%, but his doctor said he can play through it now - would hate to bring him back if he is only 80% of what he has been at the plate. His game calling is missed terribly, but we can't afford to have another shitty bat in the lineup right now. If he can still hit, bring him back now.

DaDeacs, you are a fountain of information and rumor. Are you as bored as yesterday?

Montero is missed but management has been very cautious and conservative regarding injuries. I would expect the same approach with someone as valuable to this team as Montero. Ross is a good replacement, even with his bat. Schwarber will catch in select situations.

Recent pitching drop off could be attributed to Medina, Soriano and law of averages. Bullpen has been outstanding and was due a hiccup. Hopefully, it all came at once and is over. Same thing happened earlier this year and there was much doom and gloom. Then excellance.

How about a little contest Cub fans? Who will be the next fifth starter?

OK. So who is our next fifth starter? Time for a little contest for us outcast Cub fans. I'll go with Richard. I think Maddon is willing to give him another shot. I would use Wada, but that's me.

We'll acquire someone IMO

After his last start, guessing Richard. With all the rumor mongering and everyone saying the Cubs will do something, I still think its only 50/50 we make any move.

Also, food for thought, not that its likely, but James Shields will almost certainly pass through waivers in August, so we could potentially move some younger, non 40-man roster people for him if the Pads can't find a suitor and throw in a bunch of cash. We were willing to go to 3/$60, and he will have 3/$65 for remainder of contract - maybe something like Juan Paniagua or Ivan Pineyro or maybe both for Shields and $15 million? Both have potential stuff to make it to the bigs, so it wouldn't be for nothing, but they are a bit old for AA at 24 & 25. He's probably worth around $15 a year, maybe slightly less, but wouldn't be a huge overpay, even if he just pitches the next 3 like this year when he is likely going to be around a 1.8-2.0 fWAR pitcher.

Heyman reporting that any likely deal with the Pads will include Baez and not Castro. Castro got the vote of confidence from management - meaning most likely there are no takers.

Jayson Stark saying we're still trying hard to deal him. Please please please

Jayson Stark saying we're still trying hard to deal him. Please please please

Most reports say the Pads are likely making 3-4 moves over the next day. They have five upcoming FAs that most other clubs would be interested in with Upton, Kimbrel, Venable, Benoit and Kennedy. And everyone is calling about Ross and Kimbrel and maybe even Cashner. Every report says the Cubs are far along in talks with the Pads about something, just not sure what - I have heard rumors from a lot of different reputable sources tying them to almost all of the names at some point.

Ross would take a lot, just hoping Preller goes and pulls a Preller. Still think its only 50/50 because Theo won't give up a ton for a rental and even though he has said everyone not in the majors right now is tradeable, I can't imagine he gives up the farm for Ross.

Ooh, drama.

Jayson Stark reported about an hour ago that the Cubs are aggressively shopping Castro. Maddon told Castro he is not being moved and the Cubs front office told one of the Cubs beat reporters that the Stark report is all noise right now. Castros agent told him to be ready for anything.

Also, in another odd move, Cogs is apparently our new super utility player as he gives Bryant a day off and is starting at 3rd tonight. For the record, Cogs has played 9 games at 3rd in his career and has 3 errors in 24 chances. Jake needs to be painting that outiside corner against the righties tonight.

Also, lots of speculation after that last report that if a Cubs/Pads trade goes down, the Cubs will be sending Castro to the Pads, but will need to take on Jedd Gyorkos contract coming back. The good news is, that is swapping Castro for Gyorko would be in the Cubs favor, so drive down the cost of Ross/Kimbrel/whatever - the bad news is that Gyorko is on the hook for 4/$33 and he is terribad.

But, just swapping out Castro for Gyorko in our lineup right now would not make much difference now and Gyorko can plug in at 2B and hold it warm til Baez comes up and then he can be a quasi-super infield backup at 1B, 2B and 3B. Now, it would be a freaking hugely expensive super backup, but whatever.

Cubs win 5-2. Rizzo hits a 3 run HR in the eighth to overcome a two run deficit. Cubs string together some hits to add two runs in the ninth. Arrieta with a quality start and the bullpen provides three innings of scoreless relief. Come from behind wins are always fun.

Assuming no further acquisitions, what's our ideal lineup with everyone healthy?

C -Montero
1B -Rizzo
2B -Russell
SS -Castro
3B - Bryant
LF - Schwarber
CF - Fowler
RF - Soler

Genuinely asking as it's been hard to keep up while I'm out of the country

Back