• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Chicago Cubs Thread - Playoff Push Pending

Cubs are said to be out of the running for Kimbrel - but are interested in Carrasco from the indians and tommy Hunter from the Os. Still in talks over Ross and Kennedy too.

Assuming no further acquisitions, what's our ideal lineup with everyone healthy?

C -Montero
1B -Rizzo
2B -Russell
SS -Castro
3B - Bryant
LF - Schwarber
CF - Fowler
RF - Soler

Genuinely asking as it's been hard to keep up while I'm out of the country

That's the likely lineup - would love to see Baez up and take over for Castro it at least provide solid backup at 2b, ss & 3b. He is back cranking at Iowa.

Good to have you back BillBrasky. Coughlan is playing everyday in several spots. Schwarber is at C, LF and there is talk of 1B. Denorfia remains back up OF, Herrara back up IF, Ross at C.

Starlin looking like he'll get dealt in the winter then. Thanks for having such a horrendous year that we couldn't move you for something more than a rental

Cubs get Dan Haren for pinyero and soto - seems fine, not giving up anything good

Two thirds of Haren's starts this year are quality starts. His career would grade out as a solid B. Price is right. Looks good. Anyone know his contract status?

We pay a pro-rated portion of the minimum salary. Dodgers are paying his salary this year and he's on the last year of his contract. He's due $10 million this year.

Tommy Hunter in too. What I figured we'd do -- add a starter and bullpen arm for cheap. I'm on board

We pay a pro-rated portion of the minimum salary. Dodgers are paying his salary this year and he's on the last year of his contract. He's due $10 million this year.

This isn't exactly true - the dodgers sent money to the fish, but they still owed his whole salary, so we do too - but we got some cash back in the deal, so it likely isn't a ton.

Also, not sold on Hunter being a major upgrade, but Lake was likely going in the off-season since this is his last option year and he was never going to be more than our 4th of.

I just got that info from BleedCubbieBlue - didn't know the specifics on the salary payment. Good clarification for sure!

Haren and Hunter seem like good deals to me. Haren is the #3 starter the Cubs sought and Hunters numbers in relief indicate he brings another dependable arm to the bullpen. Medina probably goes down to AAA. Rowen DFA'd, but I suspect the Cubs are hoping to keep him. His numbers are good. The cost was reasonable. Wish Junior Lake the best and hope he gets an opportunity to stick with Baltimore.

O's love fringe Cubs OF contributors -- hopefully Junior Lake will fare better than Corey Patterson or Felix Pie

Both are upgrades, albeit relatively minor. Glad Epstein didn't do anything crazy and overpay. Could help us eek out an extra win or two this year.

Rondon seems to be back in his groove with another save and Rizzo is heating back up.

Too bad Haren won't be able to pitch tomorrow, oh well.

Glad Rizzo's bat picked up a little. Went without a homer for three weeks or so (July 7th) and now has three in three games. The three run shot in the opener against the Brewers was a huge one. Want to at least close out this series taking three of four, so split the weekend worst case and move on with a 5-2 week after that brutal sweep to the Phillies (who are suddenly hot it seems).

Real solid start getting wins against Nelson and Jungmann, both of whom have been pitching well

Cubs win 4-2. Rizzo hits a 3 run HR and Schwarber clocks a solo shot to account for the scoring. Hendricks wins his fifth with seven solid innings. Newcomer Tommy Hunter throws a little 99 mph heat for the save.

Back