• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Chicago Dining

Instead of starting a new thread I figured I'd just revive this one. Headed to Chicago in a couple of weeks for 4 days/3 nights. We were thinking of Italian 1 night at either La Scarola or Topo Gigio. Is one any better than the other or is there another option(s)? Does anyone know anything about Bandera and where would you go for ribs?

Any suggestions on cool bars? We defs plan on hitting Longman & Eagle, Hopleaf, etc.

Where are you staying? And what's your group composition?

Instead of starting a new thread I figured I'd just revive this one. Headed to Chicago in a couple of weeks for 4 days/3 nights. We were thinking of Italian 1 night at either La Scarola or Topo Gigio. Is one any better than the other or is there another option(s)? Does anyone know anything about Bandera and where would you go for ribs?

Any suggestions on cool bars? We defs plan on hitting Longman & Eagle, Hopleaf, etc.

I like Bandera, their chicken and cornbread are both really good. We were lucky and got a table overlooking Michigan Ave which was nice. Smoque BBQ is some of the best barbecue I've had anywhere. It has zero atmosphere and is a long way from downtown although accessible by the "L".

Where are you staying? And what's your group composition?

There are 4 of us, all originally from the south and we are staying in the Uptown neighborhood.

We hit Lillie Q's the last time from ribs and they were out of this world, plus it was a cool joint but I heard it had burned and had to rebuild. Can Smoque ace that?

Went to Shaw's Crab House on Hubbard downtown. One of those old school classy seafood restaurants. Get the Yelp discount, go at happy hour and have the oysters rockefeller. Delicious.

There are 4 of us, all originally from the south and we are staying in the Uptown neighborhood.

We hit Lillie Q's the last time from ribs and they were out of this world, plus it was a cool joint but I heard it had burned and had to rebuild. Can Smoque ace that?

Uptown is cool. An interesting part of the city. The Green Mill, obviously, is a cool bar in the that neighborhood, but will charge a $15+ cover depending on when you go. Otherwise, Simon's down the block from Hopleaf is a good dive-y alternative for a more low key crowd. The neighborhoods south of Uptown along the Red Line - Lakeview, Lincoln Park, Old Town - aren't really my scene so I'm not much help there. Let me know if you want suggestions for the areas off the Blue Line (Wicker Park, Logan Square, etc.).

The Randolph Street restaurants are your best food options and an acquaintance of mine opened a ritzy cocktail bar in that area recently called the Betty that has gotten good reviews; I haven't been yet personally. One of the best meals I've had recently in Chicago is a Korean-inspired spot called Parachute in the Avondale neighborhood. Really, really good. Uncommon Ground in Rogers Park (neighborhood north of you) is a good spot for brunch; they have a location in Lakeview too.

Let me know if you have any more specific requests. I could talk Chicago all day.

I'm a fake-ass vegetarian, meaning I don't ever cook meat and I eat it out about 1-2 times a month. I've had pho a couple times, but I've never been a big beef guy. That said, when somebody recommends a certain dish at a specific restaurant then I'm down to go out of my way to try it. You got one?

Also, you heard about this spot: http://www.yelp.com/biz/the-angry-crab-chicago-3? I've read good things and it's up north, not to far from the burbs.

A Chicago vegetarian? Do you get by on picking mushrooms off pizzas?

I'm a fake-ass vegetarian, meaning I don't ever cook meat and I eat it out about 1-2 times a month. I've had pho a couple times, but I've never been a big beef guy. That said, when somebody recommends a certain dish at a specific restaurant then I'm down to go out of my way to try it. You got one?

Also, you heard about this spot: http://www.yelp.com/biz/the-angry-crab-chicago-3? I've read good things and it's up north, not to far from the burbs.

I don't really have a specific dish to recommend was more wondering if you were a Pho guy if you had a recommendation in the Vietnamese neighborhood. Been to a few there and they all seem about the same, but always looking for advice from Chicagoans.

I haven't heard about the angry crab but looks fun

I forgot I started this thread.

Alinea was the best dining experience I have ever had. Blackbird, Avec, Publican trio were all excellent. Blackbird is more traditional and would be a good spot for a special date, while Avec and Publican work well with groups. The Publican was my favorite, but the chorizo stuffed bacon wrapped dates at Avec was my favorite item overall. I loved Gilt Bar. I am not much of a steakhouse guy, but went to Gibson's with a group and I liked it enough for a return visit a few weeks later.

On the more casual side I went to XOCO a lot and preferred it to the more upscale full service Bayless restaurants. Mr. Beef was my favorite Italian Beef place.

I don't really have a specific dish to recommend was more wondering if you were a Pho guy if you had a recommendation in the Vietnamese neighborhood. Been to a few there and they all seem about the same, but always looking for advice from Chicagoans.

I haven't heard about the angry crab but looks fun

Yeah, I'm not a good source on Vietnamese, sorry bruh. I wanna hit up Devon Street soon for some DANK Indian.

Uptown is cool. An interesting part of the city. The Green Mill, obviously, is a cool bar in the that neighborhood, but will charge a $15+ cover depending on when you go. Otherwise, Simon's down the block from Hopleaf is a good dive-y alternative for a more low key crowd. The neighborhoods south of Uptown along the Red Line - Lakeview, Lincoln Park, Old Town - aren't really my scene so I'm not much help there. Let me know if you want suggestions for the areas off the Blue Line (Wicker Park, Logan Square, etc.).

The Randolph Street restaurants are your best food options and an acquaintance of mine opened a ritzy cocktail bar in that area recently called the Betty that has gotten good reviews; I haven't been yet personally. One of the best meals I've had recently in Chicago is a Korean-inspired spot called Parachute in the Avondale neighborhood. Really, really good. Uncommon Ground in Rogers Park (neighborhood north of you) is a good spot for brunch; they have a location in Lakeview too.

Let me know if you have any more specific requests. I could talk Chicago all day.

I live in Uptown (though I'm spending the month in Oregon), and there are some decent places in the hood - Juice covered a bunch of them. Fat Cat is a decent bar on Broadway. If you want to do brunch you should think about hitting up Tweet or Bongo Room - really good stuff. And 42 Grams is supposed to be the new hotness on the restaurant scene - they earned a Michelin star. It's one of those places where you show up and the chef just makes you stuff. Not sure how far ahead you need reservations, but it should be worth a shot.

And if you just walk up Clark Street in Andersonville you'll find a ton of places. There's also a handful of kitchy antique places, if you're into that kind of thing.

Had great meals at Publican and Monteverde a month ago. Monteverde just won a James Beard for Best Restaurant Great Lakes and it's well deserved.

Also Au Cheval is a must.

Little Goat Diner has a great brunch.

I'm on Alinea's wait list for tomorrow. Not expecting to get in. Will likely end up at Blackbird. Have reservations at Grace, Acadia and Oriole for August. Oriole is absolutely incredible. May be the best meal I've had in the US. For really good food that isn't cray expensive, Parachute was awesome. Cheapest Michelin starred place I've ever been to.

Back