• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Chicago suggestions

Skydog Deac

Reaction score
Going on a very quick trip to Chicago, first time in many years. Going up early next Friday, coming back Sunday. Only four plans so far. David Bowie exhibit Friday evening at the Museum of Contemporary Art, Art Institute of Chicago on Saturday, jazz/blues club, some kind of Chicago-y food (some say yes get the deep dish, some say no, wife is from Buffalo and pizza obsessed so she is curious). We are staying at a hotel on E. Grand & State, Google shows it's about 3-4 blocks from the Billy Goat, which I've heard of, to give you a reference.

Suggestions on what you would do with this limited time, things to see, eat, experience, etc? Essentially, it's Friday from about noon to 6 (gotta have lunch somewhere), then Bowie and contemporary museum from 6-9, then dinner somewhere, then music. Next day, Art Institute 10:30-3-ish, after that no plans. Really looking forward to the Bowie, and got lucky with the Art Institute, one of my favorite artists, James Ensor, is one of the exhibits.

JAMES-ENSOR-THE-BAD-DOCTORS.JPG

Sounds like a good plan. It's hard to mess up a Chicago trip.

Can you leave a post-it note on a friend's desk for me?

Too cold for architecture boat tour, unless it's not, in which case -- architecture boat tour.

We hit some really touristy stuff when I was there a few years ago, but I enjoyed it all:

After dinner drinks at the Hancock Tower restaurant: http://www.signatureroom.com/

Went to a show at Second City http://www.secondcity.com/

Had a phenomenal dinner at Joes http://www.joes.net/?loc=chicago

We spent some time walking around and checking out the Magnificent Mile and also Millennium Park.

That the most that I can remember; I met my wife there right before a trip to Afghanistan, so most of the rest of the time was spent in the hotel. Have a great time and stay warm.

Wake and Bake's bong is a good stop in Chitown.

We hit some really touristy stuff when I was there a few years ago, but I enjoyed it all:

After dinner drinks at the Hancock Tower restaurant: http://www.signatureroom.com/

Went to a show at Second City http://www.secondcity.com/

Had a phenomenal dinner at Joes http://www.joes.net/?loc=chicago

We spent some time walking around and checking out the Magnificent Mile and also Millennium Park.

That the most that I can remember; I met my wife there right before a trip to Afghanistan, so most of the rest of the time was spent in the hotel. Have a great time and stay warm.

All look like great, forgot about Second City. Thanks, and thanks for going to Afghanistan, unless you were just a tourist.

I'm going to Second City every single time I go to Chicago from now on

Buddy Guys Legends is a great blues club and it is on area ash. Not too far from where you are staying. Lou Malnatis and giordanos are great for deep dish pizza. Maggie Daley park is having its grand opening this weekend. Just east of Millenium Park and of the Art Institute. Has a lot of stuff for families and looks really cool. Navy Pier is just east of there and the Museum Campus is just south of there as well. Literally tons of stuff to do right there. Have fun.

Thanks to all for the great suggestions. I pity those who don't love to travel!

sounds like a good plan. second city or some comedy, maybe. Im still a newbie here and only get to the city once a month or so usually for work shit so Im still learnin.

City Winery has Los Lobos that Fri and Tab Benoit on Saturday.

I dont have a bong, and I got no quiches for you either. sorry man :rulz:

This restaurant is good: http://thepublicanrestaurant.com/

bunch of hip restaurants that get good reviews in the meatpacking district.

Last edited:
Best jazz club in Chicago: Jazz Showcase (south part of the loop) - usually $20 cover, was actually there last night for a free show celebrating the 50th Anniversary of Coltrane's A Love Supreme

Second best jazz club downtown: Andy's Jazz (walking distance from your hotel, serves food)

Blues: Buddy Guy's Legends is cool, but I actually prefer Blue Chicago, which is like two blocks from your hotel. It's more intimate, but both spots are cool.
Jazz Showcase-Buddy Guy's and Andy's-Blue Chicago - each set is within a couple blocks of each other if you wanted to do both in one evening.

Other music: Clear Bar - I went when it was called Underground Wonder Bar. They were apparently on some reality tv show in the fall and had a makeover that changed their name. It's a late-night live music spot that plays funk, rock, soul, blues, and it's real interactive and fun. Doesn't get going til like 1 or 2 AM.

Food: definitely hit a spot on Randolph in the West Loop. Girl and the Goat is always packed, but I've had good luck showing up and sitting at the bar with a <10 minute wait on a handful of occasions.

If you want any suggestions outside downtown I could go for days, but you've got a nice itinerary. Haven't made it to the Bowie exhibit yet, but hope to. Art Institute is fantastic; I just finished having a year-long membership and loved it. The Magritte exhibit was real cool.

Best jazz club in Chicago: Jazz Showcase (south part of the loop) - usually $20 cover, was actually there last night for a free show celebrating the 50th Anniversary of Coltrane's A Love Supreme

Second best jazz club downtown: Andy's Jazz (walking distance from your hotel, serves food)

Blues: Buddy Guy's Legends is cool, but I actually prefer Blue Chicago, which is like two blocks from your hotel. It's more intimate, but both spots are cool.
Jazz Showcase-Buddy Guy's and Andy's-Blue Chicago - each set is within a couple blocks of each other if you wanted to do both in one evening.

Other music: Clear Bar - I went when it was called Underground Wonder Bar. They were apparently on some reality tv show in the fall and had a makeover that changed their name. It's a late-night live music spot that plays funk, rock, soul, blues, and it's real interactive and fun. Doesn't get going til like 1 or 2 AM.

Food: definitely hit a spot on Randolph in the West Loop. Girl and the Goat is always packed, but I've had good luck showing up and sitting at the bar with a <10 minute wait on a handful of occasions.

If you want any suggestions outside downtown I could go for days, but you've got a nice itinerary. Haven't made it to the Bowie exhibit yet, but hope to. Art Institute is fantastic; I just finished having a year-long membership and loved it. The Magritte exhibit was real cool.

Green Mill is pretty cool, but it's about 20 min from where you're at.

Eat at Publican or Longman & Eagle. Both are awesome. And, if you're open to Shakespeare, there's an awesome production of PERICLES playing at Chicago Shakespeare Theater out on Navy Pier.

Hahaha I can DEFINITELY get you tix to see all the college plays you want! But I am assistant directing something that goes up next month - might be able to get you some for cheap.

Back