• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Chick-fil-A President Reiterates/Clarifies Anti-Gay Stance

Noted.

Excited to hear your thoughts about Sharia law sometime... :)

I'm against it in the USA. Our Constitution is very clear about it the separation of church and state (ALL churches, including conservative Christian churches and conservative Muslim churches). Other countries can do whatever they want. Not my problem outside of the US.

Not supporting gay marriage does not equate to homophobia IMO.

Oxford Dictionary: homophobia = "an extreme and irrational aversion to homosexuality and homosexual people."

Webster's Dictionary: homophobia = "irrational fear of, aversion to, or discrimination against homosexuality or homosexuals."

So your best argument for equating opposition to same-sex marriage with homophobia is to squeeze it into "irrational discrimination." "Irrational" is tough to define, but I don't think it's fair to say everyone who opposes SSM does so on irrational grounds. Some people have reasons. Beyond that, using the word "homophobia" in this discussion is inflammatory and unhelpful.

Reactions: tos
He's against CFA because of their leadership's fundamental religious belief on an issue that most Americans don't really care about, I mean we've got nearly 10% of our population that is unemployed and we're concerned about a chicken joint that doesn't support gay marriage?

Ridiculous. The article I posted is spot on, I suggest you read it.

My money, my choice. I'm able to focus on multiple things at once as well. I can spend time opposing Chickfila as well as worry about the unemployment rate.

My money, my choice. I'm able to focus on multiple things at once as well. I can spend time opposing Chickfila as well as worry about the unemployment rate.

I don't go see George Clooney movies, so I guess I'm a hypocrite.

I also feel that the good CFA does well outweighs its non support of gay marriage.

Oxford Dictionary: homophobia = "an extreme and irrational aversion to homosexuality and homosexual people."

Webster's Dictionary: homophobia = "irrational fear of, aversion to, or discrimination against homosexuality or homosexuals."

So your best argument for equating opposition to same-sex marriage with homophobia is to squeeze it into "irrational discrimination." "Irrational" is tough to define, but I don't think it's fair to say everyone who opposes SSM does so on irrational grounds. Some people have reasons. Beyond that, using the word "homophobia" in this discussion is inflammatory and unhelpful.

I've never heard a rational reason for being against same sex marriage. It all boils down to "I don't like gay people" or "The Bible says so." Neither are rational reasons for legislating someone else's life.

I've never heard a rational reason for being against same sex marriage. It all boils down to "I don't like gay people" or "The Bible says so." Neither are rational reasons for legislating someone else's life.

Sorry to harp on this, but it's important. There is no such thing as an "irrational reason." That's a contradiction in terms. If you have an articulable reason for doing something---even if it's wrong, stupid, unsupported, bigoted, etc.---your decision is rational. That's just what rational means.

What's so insidious about saying "there's no rational reason for opposing SSM" is that it closes off all discussion. If there are no rational reasons for opposing it, there can be no rational discussion about it. I don't believe that. I think more rational discussion is what's needed, not shaming of those that disagree with you until they relent, because the better arguments are going to (and already are) winning out. There were rational arguments for slavery and segregation, too, but the better arguments won out. That's what we should be seeking here, too.

okay, forget the word "rational." I've never heard a GOOD reason for being against same sex marriage. I'm perfectly willing to listen to an argument against it, but like I said, I've never heard an argument that didn't essential boil down to "I don't like gay people" or "The Bible says so."

okay, forget the word "rational." I've never heard a GOOD reason for being against same sex marriage. I'm perfectly willing to listen to an argument against it, but like I said, I've never heard an argument that didn't essential boil down to "I don't like gay people" or "The Bible says so."

If two guys marry each other then the next step is incest, polygamy, and Nickelback.

If two guys marry each other then the next step is incest, polygamy, and Nickelback.

:rulz:

we've had this conversation before on the Amendment 1 thread. don't dredge that up again, it went nowhere last time, either.

:rulz:

we've had this conversation before on the Amendment 1 thread. don't dredge that up again, it went nowhere last time, either.

Did you miss the last line? You must be using BDD's humor radar today.

Did you miss the last line? You must be using BDD's humor radar today.

i know he was joking, but someone else is going to come on and start a rant based on that comment.

And the second one boils down to the first one.

That's when the Nickleback comes in...shakin their behinds for the menfolk.

If there was part of the bible that limited my interaction with hippies I guess I could see how that argument is useful.

Back