• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Childress & Larue Headed to Title Game

Its not an issue with WFBH faculty complaining. Its an IRS/federal govt issue. Since the med school and hospital are merging, the primary objective of the combined institution isn't degree granting. Therefor the government wont allow the medical school to continue to get that benefit.

The complaints to which I were referring have been ongoing for many years -- well before the merger was approved. You might very well be right as to the actual impetus for the change, however.

That's so cheesy. Even if there were a couple of hundred kids, it wouldn't be that big a deal.
The last figures I heard were from a year or so back. The med school was paying out close to 2 million per year for the concession. Its not only a remarkable break for WFU tuition, but also covers 90% of any in state school in NC.

Its not an issue with WFBH faculty complaining. Its an IRS/federal govt issue. Since the med school and hospital are merging, the primary objective of the combined institution isn't degree granting. Therefor the government wont allow the medical school to continue to get that benefit.

I'm pretty sure that's not exactly true. The med school/hospital could still offer it as a benefit, but it would be a taxable fringe benefit to the faculty, rather than excluded from wages. Educational organizations (i.e., WFU) can grant tuition concessions for employees, spouses, and dependents and it does not count as wages to the employee. Other organizations (i.e., the combined hospital/med school; though I would be surprised if they couldn't structure the merger in a way that it would still fall under the WFU umbrella - maybe not from a political perspective though) can grant give tuition assistance, but the employee has to pay tax on that. Still a pretty damn good deal, but not nearly as good of a deal as a non-taxable benefit.

I wouldn't have been able to attend Wake without the tuition concession from the med school.

I wouldn't have been able to attend Wake without the tuition concession from the med school.
+1

HR has told us the main issue lies with the all or none philosophy. Now that the school and hospital are combined, they either have to offer the concession to all employees or none at all. In the past, its only been available to Med School faculty and staff. It'd be a shame if it were taken away from us, its one of the few perks that got many of us to take academic jobs rather than hospital based jobs with more room for advancement and structured pay raises.

I'm pretty sure that's not exactly true. The med school/hospital could still offer it as a benefit, but it would be a taxable fringe benefit to the faculty, rather than excluded from wages. Educational organizations (i.e., WFU) can grant tuition concessions for employees, spouses, and dependents and it does not count as wages to the employee. Other organizations (i.e., the combined hospital/med school; though I would be surprised if they couldn't structure the merger in a way that it would still fall under the WFU umbrella - maybe not from a political perspective though) can grant give tuition assistance, but the employee has to pay tax on that. Still a pretty damn good deal, but not nearly as good of a deal as a non-taxable benefit.

You're probably right. The info i posted was the gist of what I remember from a meeting our department had with a higher up in medical center HR. I couldn't remember all the intricate details, just fed govt/IRS stuff.

Thanks for clarifying. I'm sure the hospital will try to screw us if they can.

Back