• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Childress

Chill is being brought in to be more of a "life coach" for the team ... not to be confused with a basketball coach. Specifically, I think we can expect that he will spend a lot of time with JT, as well as the others. There is the potential that he could make a big difference with JT by improving his understanding of the game, both on and off the court.

I was under the impression that JTT had made a lot of progress. And this is the first I've heard any hint of off-court difficulties. Any elaboration you can offer?

I was under the impression that JTT had made a lot of progress. And this is the first I've heard any hint of off-court difficulties. Any elaboration you can offer?

In light of recent events with other players, I certainly see how my comment may have been misunderstood. To be very clear, I am not aware of ANY off-court problems with JT. I simply meant that Chill can help JT (and others) with their adjustment to the demands on a D1 player. Those demands require focus both on and off the court and are both physical and mental in nature. Chill will be able to help JT with the way he thinks about the game and the way he should play it.

JT has worked hard to restructure his approach to the game since his arrival. He was always encouraged to "shoot, shoot, shoot" at every level. If he wasnt shooting the ball on just about every touch, something was wrong.

Basically, JT is being asked to drastically alter the way he thinks about and plays the game ... to fundamentally change the approach that got him to this level. That is not an easy thing for a young man to embrace. Chill is probably uniquely qualified to help JT with that transition.

The irony in all this is that Chill will be the one to convince JT that he doesnt have to think he has to shoot the ball all the time for his team to win. One of the greatest clutch scorers in our history will help JT develop a more balanced approach to the game. And I have no doubt he will tell him that there are times you have to take over a game too. You just dont try to do it all the time.

Thanks 75. I was just thrown off by the bit about "improving JT's focus off the court." I immediately thought grade issues or being something less than an upstanding citizen - certainly understandable why I might have thought that, given Tabb, Walker, Woods, G$, et al. Thanks again.

I love "Chill" more than any other Deacon and I am thrilled with this news.

According to Krista Holgate's (same position) bio on the website: "helps manage the professional commitments of Wake Forest Director of Athletics Ron Wellman"

Translation: No clue

Too bad it's not "helps manage the personnel decisions of Wake Forest Director of Athletics Ron Wellman"

Great News

This is some really good news when Wake needs good news! Great decision to have a person who can be a good influence and role model around the players even if it means creating the position to do it. Way to go Wake!

Chill is being brought in to be more of a "life coach" for the team ... not to be confused with a basketball coach. Specifically, I think we can expect that he will spend a lot of time with JT, as well as the others. There is the potential that he could make a big difference with JT by improving his understanding of the game, both on and off the court.

I like the sound of this.

The right hire at the right time. Wellman got it right.

Here's my prediction for 12-13:

Jeff Battle, his son graduating HS, leaves for greener pastures.

The new DOBO (Nix, is it?) gets promoted to top asst.

Chill becomes the new DOBO.

Battle has been a candidate to go for a while and after Jordan graduates, he won't have any ties to Winston anymore. I think that has been discussed and was the reason for the curious Nix hire, who is way overqualified for a DOBO position. I think Nix was brought in with the understanding that he would only DOBO for one year.

Doesn't sound like Nix wants to coach (and it doesn't look like he has recruiting experience either), but you never know whether or not he's just saying that because it's what he's supposed to say.

Wouldn't be surprised to see Childress on the coaching staff at some point though.

I too wouldn't be surprised if this is Battle's last season in Winston.

Now, if we could figure out how to reconnect Timmy to the program we would be back on the road to greatness:)

Maybe Chill can bring him back. I would love to have both of them very active/employed at Wake

What on Earth are you talking about Keeper?

ph and other brilliant minds often say that Odom was not a good recruiter. Every time a poster speaks of a former Deacon great that Odom recruited I make this post. Makes me feel good. Lower case k, please.

I would say that he wasn't a consistent recruiter (and it can very easily been argued that we've never had one of those).

I would say that he wasn't a consistent recruiter (and it can very easily been argued that we've never had one of those).

Check the rafters for retired jerseys.....

Back