• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Chinatown DC -- Cool / inexpensive Restruants?

when you get a text how long do they give you to get there? like say you just ordered a drink and need to close your tab as well.

I just drink downstairs in the Pug, you can walk your drink up. They will give you 5-7 minutes.

Thats a good question. I think they text you a bit before they anticipate your spot opening up. Probably 10-15 minutes. They also give you a ballpark estimate when you put your name on the list, so we had already closed our tab when we got the text. I wouldnt stray more than a few blocks, but there are plenty of options.

I just drink downstairs in the Pug, you can walk your drink up. They will give you 5-7 minutes.

This is what I do as well. "Problem" for me is that I'm friends with the manager and he gets us quite drunk before we go gorge ourselves on ramen.

ok so I'm taking the fiance out for her bday next Saturday. We've got tix to the matinee Les Miz at the National Theatre. I made a dinner reservation at Blue Duck Tavern at 8:30 that night (actually made it before I decided I was taking her to the play, and they now don't have anything earlier). So I need something to do in between. The show should be over at like 4:30 or 5:00 I assume. I mean I guess we can do drinks, but I don't really want to be smashed going into dinner. What are some good cocktail options in the Foggy Bottom/West End area these days? I guess I could stick around downtown as well.

ok so I'm taking the fiance out for her bday next Saturday. We've got tix to the matinee Les Miz at the National Theatre. I made a dinner reservation at Blue Duck Tavern at 8:30 that night (actually made it before I decided I was taking her to the play, and they now don't have anything earlier). So I need something to do in between. The show should be over at like 4:30 or 5:00 I assume. I mean I guess we can do drinks, but I don't really want to be smashed going into dinner. What are some good cocktail options in the Foggy Bottom/West End area these days? I guess I could stick around downtown as well.

Not much in the way of decent drink options in that area. I would say drinks at the bar at West End Bistro is the best bet. Or if you don't mind a 10 minute walk, Unum in Georgetown (29th and M) has a nice little bar and always has good wine by the glass.

Maybe the Four Seasons?

Circa, across the street from the Foggy Bottom Metro, is always an option. If the weather is decent (i.e., anything above 45 degrees), they'll have the patio open, so you could do a low-key couple of hours there before heading up to Blue Duck.

Not much in the way of decent drink options in that area. I would say drinks at the bar at West End Bistro is the best bet. Or if you don't mind a 10 minute walk, Unum in Georgetown (29th and M) has a nice little bar and always has good wine by the glass.

Yeah West End was my first thought. Anyone been to District Commons?

Here's what'll become of the PS7s space:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs...b4-11e2-a263-f0ebffed2f15_blog.html#pagebreak

When we did the 7x7 at the bar for valentines day, the bartender mentioned a project on the Hill involving his family farm and good cocktails. He said Gina would be involved, so I thought that was what ended up as the Hanks on the Hill. Turns out it'll be its own place and they snagged the former PS7s sous chef, who appeared on Chopped and served all our dishes the night of the 7x7; really nice guy. Here's their new place:

http://www.washingtoncitypaper.com/...12/12/05/first-look-at-beuchert-saloons-menu/

There are also some options for holiday drinks near National Theater too if you wanted to go to the bar at the Willard (Round Robin?) or something.

Just went to lunch at BDT yesterday (first time dining there) and it was excellent. We had WAY too much food, but it was all pretty good. The bone marrow starter was tasty, and a cool presentation. We had the duck, chicken, and steak entrees and I think the chicken might have actually been the best. The fries, beets, daily vegetable (radishes), and brussels sprouts all had good reviews as sides (the fries were my favorite). The apple pie for dessert is pretty amazing (and is one of the things they are known for), but I have to say the peanut butter and jelly bar was a surprisingly awesome dessert.

Yeah West End was my first thought. Anyone been to District Commons?

District Commons is about what you'd expect from the PassionFish folks - and not in a bad way. Solid food, good bar, even some aged cocktails. Way, way better than Circa at least. Actually at that time you might be able to hit the bar at Founding Farmers. That place is a madhouse and generally overrated, plus their service/quality falls apart when they get crowded - but when it's quiet you can get a good bartender and go dealer's choice for some fun drinks. The bar at Bourbon Steak is also really good, but I haven't been there as many times.

Yeah my fiancé loves FF. I'm pretty meh on it but I've taken her there for her bday the last few years, so I wanted to vary it up with BDT which she also loves.

Don't know where to put this, but RJ Cooper said that his allocation of Pappy Van Winkle arrived today at Rogue 24.

Okay so a friend and I are going to try and meet up like once a month or so in DC for dinner. I'm just tossing together a preliminary list of places I want to check out, some obviously better than others but sometimes curiousity gets the best of me. Let me know if I'm leaving anything out or if I can cross a one off my list for any reason.

Equinox
Kaz
Vidalia
Plume
Adour
Tosca
Bibiana
DC Coast
Acadiana
Central
Elisir
Rasika
Fiola
The Source
Oyamel
Jaleo
minibar (probably skip due to recent developments)
CityZen
Sou'Wester
Bourbon Steak
Tackle Box
Sea Catch
Blue Duck
Marcel's
Palena
Dino
2 Amys
BlackSalt
Pesce
Komi
Little Serow
Rogue 24
Courderoy
Estadio
ChurchKey
Proof
Zaytinya

Last edited:
The new cheese steak place the Taylor Deli guys opened on H St kind of sucks. Expensive too.

I would add Suna. I hateds Souwester. And the owner of Proof is an IMMENSE douche although the food is good, but I just won't patronize his places

The Source and BlackSalt are both terrific. I enjoyed Vidalia as well.

The Source and BlackSalt are both terrific. I enjoyed Vidalia as well.

BlackSalt is one of my absolute favorite places in DC. When I lived 5 or so minutes away from it we went there a ton, and bought all of our seafood at the market. This just reminds me that I need to go back soon.

I've read blacksalt has taken a big step back.

Back