• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Chinatown DC -- Cool / inexpensive Restruants?

Anyone tried Chaplin yet? Thinking of walking over there tonight.

So I did try Chaplin last night. The food was pretty good. We shared a bunch of their small plates. I'll go back and try the ramen. Drinks were good as well. And it's relatively inexpensive compared to other nights out.

That said, the service was HORRIBLE. Our waiter disappeared for more than 30 minutes, right after we ordered another round of drinks. We saw that the drinks were made and sitting on the bar for at least 15 minutes before the bartender eventually brought them over. I asked the bartender if the waiter just left for the night or something and he just kind of like "uh, he's, us, really busy." I think there is a better than average chance he was in the midst of fucking and/or breaking up with some chick in the bathroom upstairs. And even aside from this 30 minute period, he was generally pretty terrible in all other facets of his job. Like I said, I'll go back to try the ramen since I thought the other food was good, but if the service is this bad again I don't know that we'll go back.

That's not the first time I've heard that about Chaplin. Hopefully they'll get things figured out soon.

Not a restaurant, but finally hit up Bardo on Saturday. There is something both ridiculous and awesome about it. The first pitcher was a dry hopped IPA that was pretty good. The second was called Buffalo Stout, which was not very good at all. And all pitchers are only $11, which is insanely cheap. Will defs be going back.

Not a restaurant, but finally hit up Bardo on Saturday. There is something both ridiculous and awesome about it. The first pitcher was a dry hopped IPA that was pretty good. The second was called Buffalo Stout, which was not very good at all. And all pitchers are only $11, which is insanely cheap. Will defs be going back.

It's basically the new incarnation of Dremo's right? I haven't been yet (truthfully keep forgetting about it even though it's fairly close to me).

This week we have a board dinner at Vidalia. Old school, but it's so good.

Bardo is cool, with a lawn party/beer garden feel, but it is a bit out of the way for me. Do they have heaters for the winter? Maybe a nice weekend bike ride away.

Also, the old Thai X-ing has zero alcohol and you can't BYOB anymore (tear). The new one has a bar and BYOB (wine). Why then would anyone go to the old one?

Bardo is cool, with a lawn party/beer garden feel, but it is a bit out of the way for me. Do they have heaters for the winter? Maybe a nice weekend bike ride away.

Also, the old Thai X-ing has zero alcohol and you can't BYOB anymore (tear). The new one has a bar and BYOB (wine). Why then would anyone go to the old one?

Bardo doesn't currently have any heaters set up as of right now. I don't know if they will be getting any or not. Probably seems like a good idea. But they do now have an indoor area that looks like it's about done. The bar isn't set up for service yet, but they tables are all set up and the TV had the WS game on the other night.

If you can't BYOB to the Florida Ave Thai X-ing anymore then I don't think it'll last. Maybe I'm wrong. Either way it sucks since I am a 3 minute walk from there and I loved rolling in with a bunch of wine.

Thanks for the info on Bardo wfudkn. I am with you on the old Thai X-ing. It's a shame, b/c the original/old one is a 5 min walk from my house. The new one, well I guess now still only a 10-15 minute walk away. #firstworldproblems

Why the hell would they do that?

:noidea: my guess is that it has something to do with ABRA permits (alcohol beverage review agency).

OOF. I was there this summer and we brought a handle of bourbon. People like us probably ruined it for everyone else.

You were just livin' the dream, man. We usually just rolled in with a nice bottle of wine or two. I'm sad I didn't get to make it before the policy changed. Although I suppose I can do that at the new location now for $5 per bottle (of wine only).

Apparently Philly places are mostly BYOB, so remember that in all your BYOB-lusty travels.

Now I'm counting down the days that El Camino opens next to Boundary Stone!

Is that the place that is labeled as "YES.S.S.S. CLEANERS" or whatever? I looked in on Friday and realized there were tables in there and one or two people sitting around and I was curious. Definitely wasn't open yet.

Is that the place that is labeled as "YES.S.S.S. CLEANERS" or whatever? I looked in on Friday and realized there were tables in there and one or two people sitting around and I was curious. Definitely wasn't open yet.

That's the place. Supposed to be open the first week or two of November.

Didn't get a say, so I don't know much of anything about any of these places. Are any of them decent?

2 Birds, 1 Stone tonight with a small group for drinks, then Poste for dinner.

Meeting all day tomorrow, Old Ebbits Grill for Happy Hour, Tosca for dinner.

Never been to 2 Birds or eaten at Poste. I'm not a big fan of Poste for drinks, but a lot of people like it. Can get kinda douchy, but the outside area is pretty nice. Ebbitt is a DC institution, but I'm also not a fan. But drinks there are better than eating there IMO, though it's usually a shitshow. Never been to Tosca.

Didn't get a say, so I don't know much of anything about any of these places. Are any of them decent?

2 Birds, 1 Stone tonight with a small group for drinks, then Poste for dinner.

Meeting all day tomorrow, Old Ebbits Grill for Happy Hour, Tosca for dinner.

Never been to 2 Birds, 1 Stone but I went to Poste once and got an awesome pork chop. The rest of my party wasn't really blown away but my entree was delicious.

Guessing the meeting folks reserved Old Ebbitts for the Happy Hour since there should be 250 or so attendees.

Here's hoping I can get away from my co-workers and hit up Churchkey.

Yeah, Old Ebbitt is just a DC institution and literally right by the White House, so easy choice for a big HH like that. I haven't been there in forever, but actually had some decent meals (Ebbitt/Clydes aren't the worst you could do for a local chain).

I also haven't been to 2 birds, Poste, or Tosca, but I think they're all decent places.

Back