• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Choose Life License Plate ruled unconstitutional in NC

oh, Jeeesus.
I don't know about the constitutionality of it all, but this is ridiculous. Why is the state offering plates for political issues? go get a bumper sticker.

I say no plates with dumbass phrases on them

would rather see these than all those fucking UNC license plates

does the state make extra revenue from these plates? perhaps they could charge a hefty fee to pay for them and then, oh I don't know, help out with adoption fees for couples so these unaborted babies can be adopted more easily.

I know the specialty NC license tag for the Blue Ridge Parkway raises half a million dollars every year for the park. So they definitely can generate revenue.

come to think of it, why don't pro lifers just win this abortion thing by "buying out" the abortions? Seriously. Start a grass roots movement to raise money and use existing money-raising infrastructure from pro-life campaign. Take that money and start a private-sector-based adoption machine - network/database of adopters and expectant mothers, training and salary of 'adoption counselors,' financial assistance for pre-natal care/insurance, financial assistance for administration fees or even outright coverage of admin costs, background checks on adopters, de-stigma television ad campaigns on teen/single pregnancy-to-adoption, etc. Staff it all with young, energetic Christian youths who will work for next to nothing (well, to get into heaven of course) and take over the whole existing adoption infrastructure.

Surely all that money being tithed to build megachurches and to fund the pro-life fight could be spent saving the fetuses. Pro-lifers are stupid. Instead of eradicating it from the law books, just eradicate it from the culture. Then removing it from the books would be easy. dumbasses.

Last edited:
oh, Jeeesus.
I don't know about the constitutionality of it all, but this is ridiculous. Why is the state offering plates for political issues? go get a bumper sticker.

+1

oh, Jeeesus.

That's not an argument you will win, at least from a legal standpoint. The sole problem here is that the state didn't offer an alternate viewpoint.

images

By the way, this holding should be relatively non-controversial. The Fourth Circuit issued a similar holding w/r/t South Carolina probably 6-8 years ago.

By the way, this holding should be relatively non-controversial. The Fourth Circuit issued a similar holding w/r/t South Carolina probably 6-8 years ago.

The dumb thing is that SC already figured out how to get around it. They just let any nonprofit that can get 4,000 signatures get any plate they want. Result: a whole bunch of pro-life plates throughout SC, and a few pro-choice plates in Charleston and Columbia. The NC legislature just had to follow that well-established blueprint but inexplicably failed to do so.

DoDo is a freedom fighter. Institutions made up of organized citizens that make certain behavior/action compulsory are inherently anti-freedom. He is correct of course, by definition.

That's why it is silly to prattle on about 'freedom' all the time. Freedom is always going to be relative. Total and utter freedom was a very rare thing, and one of the past. The native Americans may have had it at some point, before the white man stole it from him. Their leadership certainly did. The settlers never had it. They fought for independence to gain some measure of freedom, but they were still not 'free' in the true sense, and neither are we. We are relatively free.

It's a neat dream, but I am too cynical to believe that there can be the kind of freedom DoDo and Ronnie Paul et al desire. That void will be filled by the powerful in one shape or form anyway. Our government may be a puppet of the rich and powerful now, but it would be far worse should there be little or no government to filter that influence through. The power vacuum would be tremendous and it would be filled by much more vile and pernicious oppressing forces.

Last edited:
The dumb thing is that SC already figured out how to get around it. They just let any nonprofit that can get 4,000 signatures get any plate they want. Result: a whole bunch of pro-life plates throughout SC, and a few pro-choice plates in Charleston and Columbia. The NC legislature just had to follow that well-established blueprint but inexplicably failed to do so.

I don't think it's inexplicable. I think they just didn't want a bunch more dumb-as-shit license plates than they already have.

The North Carolina Highway patrol doesn't like the speciality tags because it makes them hard to identify when they pull someone over. Letting anyone with 4000 signatures create a new tag, I'm sure would just make that problem worse.

How hard would it be to get 4,000 signatures to obtain a spcific BzzOut license plate? Like a picture of him with a crosshairs on his face.

Wait a second--the license plate says "Choose Life." The people opposed to the plate are, by their own designation, "Pro-choice." This ostensibly means they are in favor of the right to choose one option or the other. Perhaps the General Assembly can mollify the ACLU by also offering a plate that says "Choose Death." That way, everyone in this debate can choose one or the other and everyone can get along...

Back